Paula J. Mcgill

Paula J. Mcgill

The McGill Law Firm, LLC
  • Landlord Tenant, Divorce, Family Law...
  • District of Columbia, Georgia, Maryland, New York
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Attorney Paula J. McGill provides personal service to a variety of clients. She is comfortable representing individuals and small to medium sized businesses. Moreover, Attorney McGill is not afraid to go after large corporations to force them to take personal responsibility for damages they cause. Her confidence in pursuing these companies comes from her 20+ years of experience. Furthermore, she is skilled in efficiently and effectively representing clients of most budgets. Many clients return for additional services or recommend her to family and friends.

Her experience spans small claims matters, contract disputes, consumer matters, federal employment matters, civil rights cases, and wrongful death cases. Attorney McGill is comfortable in front of judges in bench trials or juries. Extensive trial experience benefits clients because opposing attorneys know she is not afraid to take cases to trial, if needed.

She also has the theory that rushing the case through often doesn't benefit clients. 9 times out of 10, slow and steady wins the race.

The McGill Law Firm is based in Georgia and has numerous convenient locations to meet busy client.

Starting in May 2019, Ms. McGill will once again be accepting cases in Maryland and Washington, DC. She will also accept family law cases and hourly rate matters in New York if the client lives in Georgia.

For more information about the practice or about your particular legal issue, please use the contact information form provided on this website or contact Attorney McGill at You can also read more about the attorney and legal issues on her legal blog to obtain more information at

Practice Areas
  • Landlord Tenant
  • Divorce
  • Family Law
  • Collections
  • Employment Law
  • Business Law
  • Consumer Law
  • Probate
Additional Practice Area
  • Small Claims
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    I accept credit cards for initial consultations, dispossessory cases, and invoiced items for completed work. Credit cards are not accepted for retainers for new clients. Certified checks, money orders, cash apps and wires are accepted for retainers for new clients.
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    After the 5 minute screening consultation, the potential client can schedule a paid office or phone consultation. Firm rates are discussed in my blog, Price sheets are also available by email to allow people to make informed decisions.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
District of Columbia
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
New York
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Professional Experience
Managing Member
The McGill Law Firm, LLC
- Current
Lord Bissell & Brook (Now Locke Lord Bissell & Liddell)
Wallace King Marraro & Branson
Piper & Marbury (Now DLA Piper)
University of Pennsylvania
J.D. | Law
University of Pennsylvania Logo
Kennesaw State University
MBA | Finance
Placeholder image for education.
Emory University
B.B.A. | Finance
Emory University Logo
Legal Answers
368 Questions Answered

Q. My apartment is seriously infested with roaches
A: You can sue the landlord in Superior Court to force a repair (AKA extermination of the roaches) and obtain damages for failure to repair. If you live in a rental house, you also have the option of informing the landlord that you intend to repair the situation yourself by hiring your own licensed exterminator. Once you pay the exterminator, you give the paid invoice to your landlord and deduct it from your next month's rent.
Q. We found serious structural issues after moving in when we informed landlord in writing she gave us a 30 vacate notice.
A: There is a new Georgia law that protects tenants for being kicked out simply because they complain of a health and safety problem with the rental property. The new law is OCGA 44-7-24 You may or may not fall under this new section
Q. If you give no deposit or rent and you have just signed a contract can you break the lease. Just the application fee
A: You signed the contract. Look at the contract to determine if you have a grace period to terminate the lease. You didn't state why you wanted to terminate the lease. The reason for wanting to break the lease may change my answer. Paula McGill
Q. My name is on a deed and mortgage with my ex. I moved from the home but pay utilities. Can he say I abandoned the house
A: He doesn't know the law. You still have an ownership interest in the property. Therefore, you should seek counsel who specializes in real estate to force a partition of the property, if possible. This may cause the house to be sold or to force him to buy you out. Check with a real estate attorney who has experience in bring this type of claim. However, abandonment in a real estate ownership context for absence for a year should be a failed allegation.
Q. Was it illegal for my landlord to terminate my lease 2 months before my original lease was up w/o giving me any notice
A: You received some type of statement from your landlord. What did your landlord say about ending your lease? The time to challenge the early termination was before you moved. Now that you moved, it is questionable if you can sue him for breach of contract. As far as your security deposit, did you provide him with a forwarding address to send the security deposit? If not, did you give the post office your change of address? He has 30 days from move out to provide you by certified mail a detailed explanation of why he decided to withhold your rent. Therefore, an address to provide that information and the security deposit is essential. If he has the forwarding address, but he has not provided you with the security deposit or an explanation of why he is withholding all or a part of it, you can sue him in magistrate court for the security deposit. If the landlord is a llc or corporation or if the landlord and his spouse owns more than 10 rental properties, you can sue him from 3 times the security deposit plus attorney's fees.
Q. If im behind on my rent & the landlord agrees to give me time but then texted if i dont let him do a sexual act
A: If you are month to month or have a lease, he can throw your things out on the street without a writ from the court. He will have to file a dispossessory, win, then get a writ. If he throws your things out or if he files a dispossessory affidavit in court, contact an experienced landlord-tenant attorney.
Q. Hello i am trying to seek answers . my landlord is charging me for things that wasnt true after my move out inspection.
A: If you have pictures of the condition of the property, send copies of your evidence to the landlord. If the two of you cannot come to an agreement, sue in Magistrate Court.
Q. What if A creditor cannot serve you papers? Can your wages still be garnished?
A: If the creditor can't serve you in person, he can seek service by publication. If that is granted, you will be deemed served in accordance with the law. If you don't answer the service by publication, the creditor can seek a default judgment. If the judgment is granted, your wages can be garnished.
Q. Im a tendent at will and landlord just text me saying she give us 30 days to move out from today is it 60 or 30 days
A: If you don't have a written lease that shortens the notice to 30 days, it's 60 days.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
300 Colonial Center Pkwy.
Suite 100
Roswell, GA 30076
Telephone: (678) 353-3217
Fax: (800) 507-2409
2265 Roswell Rd.
Suite 100
Marietta, GA 30062
Cell: (770) 367-1234
5425 Peachtree Parkway
Peachtree Corners, GA 30092
Cell: (770) 367-1234