Free Consultation: (502) 625-0905Tap to Call This Lawyer
Nick Curtis Thompson

Nick Curtis Thompson

Highly rated Louisville Bankruptcy and Foreclosure Defense
  • Bankruptcy, Foreclosure Defense
  • Indiana, Kentucky, West Virginia
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Nick Practices Bankruptcy and Foreclosure Defense Primarily in the Louisville, Lexington, Covington Kentucky and Southern Indiana Bankruptcy Courts.

Practice Areas
  • Bankruptcy
  • Foreclosure Defense
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    Flat Fees often for Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 cases
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
West Virginia
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • French: Spoken
  • Russian: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Solo Bankruptcy and Foreclosure Defense Practice Highly Rated!
Louisville Kentucky Bankruptcy and Foreclosure Defense Practice
- Current
Solo Bankruptcy and Foreclosure Defense Practice Student loan and tax issues.
Litigation Attorney
Assistant County Attorney
Assigned to bench trials and solely responsible for all jury trials.
Litigation Attorney
West Virginia Tax Department
Litigated Oil and Gas tax issues. Returned to home in Louisville.
Mississippi College
J.D. | Tax; Corporate Law
Placeholder image for education.
Murray State University
B.S. | Pol Sci Communications
Honors: Debate Team, Swim Team, ROTC, Judo.
Murray State University Logo
Top Kentucky Bankruptcy Attorney for 2016
Top Kentucky Bankruptcy Attorney for 2016
Top Foreclosure Attorney 2015-2016
Top Foreclosure Attorney for Kentucky 2015-2016
Top Kentucky Bankruptcy Attorney for 2015
The Top rating for 2015 for Kentucky
Clients Choice Award Best Attorney
Top rated attorney for Kentucky as rated by clients
Professional Associations
Placeholder image for professional associations.
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Articles & Publications
How to file Bankruptcy manual
Nook Amazon and Apple
Speaking Engagements
CFPB and Foreclosure Litigation the New Rules, NBI Seminars, Wisconsin
The new CFPB regs and Foreclosure prevention
Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and Bankruptcy, NBI seminars, Wisconsin
Suing Debt Collectors in Bankruptcy Court and the FDCPA
Legal Answers
16 Questions Answered

Q. Got a judgement in the mail saying ordered and adjudged what does that mean?
A: No this does not mean garnishment. However it is one step towards garnishment. Normally a creditor will attempt to attach any home you have, any bank account you have and your wages within days or weeks after they get the judgment. You have a very short time after the judgment is issued to appeal the judgment. If you dont appeal the judgment you have basically agreed to it and can't complain later. You may be able to file bankruptcy to avoid losing 25% of your check, all of the money in your bank account and having your home attached and possibly sold. In extreme cases I have seen them take the furniture from a home.
Q. BR discharge order for me & llc in 4/18. Can business creditor that was listed in my BR now subpoena me 3 months later?
A: A Business bankruptcy never discharges. It open for 2 years I believe but parties can be hauled back in years later. Yes you can be summonsed to testify. You can also be hauled in and be subject to turning over assets if you took company property or opportunities. This isn't like a consumer bankruptcy which closes in 120 or so days
Q. i am being garnished from an accident 4 years ago and i cant pay my bills or feex my kid. what can i do
A: You may not have been served with the complaint. Often when a creditor cannot find you they will ask for a warning order attorney. This attorney will attempt to find you and send the complaint to you. But if he cant find you the judge may and probably will eventually issue a default judgment. You can file bankruptcy, pay the debt, or try to go back to state court and dismiss the default or summary judgment which had to be granted for them to garnish your wages or bank account. If you dont the interest on the judgment simply increases every year by 12%.
Q. In Kentucky, If I file a chapter 13 bankruptcy, but marry after filing, how do the wife and I split the tax refunds?
A: In the Western District of Kentucky, it doesn't matter. The refund is paid to the Trustee if you don't have a 100% plan. You get to keep the fees for preparing the return and the earned income credit. You lose the child credit. You should increase your deductions during the year so you don't get a refund. The failure to turn over the refund and to file a budget is the basis for the Chapter 13 trustee filing a motion to dismiss your Chapter 13 case.
Q. Is it better to file bankruptcy or let a trailer go back
A: Trailers are the very worst way to purchase a home. It is almost always better to let the trailer go back and to purchase a home which increases in value over time. A Trailer always depreciates in value. If it is all you can afford I understand it. But the payment is rent and eventually it falls apart.
Q. Do I have to go to court for bankruptcy
A: Yes you do have to go to at least one hearing. About 99% of my clients only have to go to one hearing the 341 hearing. The questions are very simple and you will be asked questions about the accuracy of your petition for about 5 minutes. The Trustee is looking for hidden assets, your ability to repay and whether or not you have transferred any assets to other persons before filing. The meeting is simple 99% of the time. In a Chapter 13 you plan will also need to be confirmed by the judge and if the trustee recommends confirmation that hearing which may be conducted on the same day will be short. If there are problems with the plan it may be continued.
Q. Does bankruptcy discharge maintenance obligations?
A: No! Alimony and Child Support are not dischargeable debts they can be repaid but they are not discharged in bankruptcy. The stay does not even delay a child support or alimony hearing or order.
Q. What is a nonjudicial foreclosure?
A: A non Judicial foreclosure is when the court is not involved in the lender recovering the property. In some states a deed of trust is held by a 3rd party and when the property is not paid for the lawyer who holds the title will convey the property to the bank upon default. Kentucky is s judicial foreclosure state but you can transfer the property with a deed in lieu of foreclosure or by a short sale. There are few or no advantages to your credit or a tax reason for doing a deed in lieu or a short sale. You still get the 1099 tax debt with a non judicial foreclosure. If you are going to walk away a bankruptcy is better.
Q. Does bankruptcy discharge child support obligations?
A: Child support and alimony are non dischargeable debts. You can repay child support through a Chapter 13 and you can repay child support as a priority debt which paid in full before any unsecured debt is paid. Bankruptcy can be a took to repay child support but it does not discharge child support or alimony. These debts are not even stayed by filing the bankruptcy. A spouse can seek an increase in the child support amount while the Bankruptcy case is going on. The county attorney can prosecute and jail a parent for not paying the child support while the Bankruptcy case is pending. But if a person wanted to repay the debt through the bankruptcy most county attorneys would allow it. While student loans are also normally non dischargeable debts they are not priority debts and they are only paid after child support and income taxes are paid in first place. It could be a tool people used to repay but it is rarely used and rarely understood by the county attorneys and even state court judges who rarely or never see it used to repay support. It is a very strong tool that can insure child support is paid first, mortgages and cars are paid second and unsecured credit cards, student loans and medical debts are paid dead last.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
800 Stone Creek Parkway Suite 6
Louisville, KY 40223
Telephone: (502) 625-0905
Fax: (502) 625-0940