Free Consultation: (212) 258-0713Tap to Call This Lawyer
Ms. Norka M. Schell

Ms. Norka M. Schell

“Experienced Matrimonial, Divorce, and Immigration Lawyers in New York.
  • Family Law, Immigration Law, Domestic Violence ...
  • Brazil
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Norka M. Schell is a passionate advocate for her clients. Ms. Schell represents U.S. companies, foreign companies and individuals in protecting their legal rights - emigration and immigration, trades, commercial, dispute resolution, import and export - though both preventive measures and, when necessary, litigation. With an J.D. and L.L.M. in International Legal Studies, Ms. Schell speaks the language of global business and has a first- hand understanding of the issues facing her clients.

Practice Areas
Family Law
Adoption, Child Custody, Child Support, Father's Rights, Guardianship & Conservatorship, Paternity, Prenups & Marital Agreements, Restraining Orders, Same Sex Family Law
Immigration Law
Asylum, Citizenship, Deportation Defense, Family Visas, Green Cards, Immigration Appeals, Investment Visas, Marriage & Fiancé(e) Visas, Student Visas, Visitor Visas, Work Visas
Domestic Violence
Domestic Violence Criminal Defense, Domestic Violence Restraining Orders, Victims Rights
International Law
Human Rights, Imports & Exports
Collaborative Law, Contested Divorce, Military Divorce, Property Division, Same Sex Divorce, Spousal Support & Alimony, Uncontested Divorce
Additional Practice Areas
  • Visa applications, extensions, and changes of status
  • Family-based immigration petitions
  • Employment-based immigration petitions
  • Deportation defense and removal proceedings representation
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
3rd Circuit
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
  • Portuguese: Spoken, Written
  • Spanish: Spoken
Professional Experience
Offices of Norka M. Schell, LLC
- Current
Norka M. Schell is a practitioner in New York City, New York. Ms. Schell has been providing clients with efficient and compassionate representation in the areas of international business, employment and immigration law since 1997.
Golden Gate University School of Law
LL.M. (1998) | International Legal Studies
Placeholder image for education.
Placeholder image for education.
Honorable Member
International Who's Who's Professional
Professional Associations
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Articles & Publications
O Direito do Imigrante
Brazilian Press
Speaking Engagements
Radio Interview with All Business, Media FM In Studio 2, With JD,
All Business Media FM
Radio Interview with All Business, Media FM In Studio 2,
Radio Interview with All Business, Media FM In Studio 2,
Websites & Blogs
About Norka M. Schell
Legal Answers
7 Questions Answered
Q. Can my adopted Mom kick me out since I’m 19 now?
A: In the state of New York, parents have a legal obligation to provide support for their adopted children until they reach the age of 21. This means that even when a child turns 18, parents are still required to provide financial assistance for their education, medical expenses, and other necessities until they turn 21.

The law requiring parental support for adopted children in New York is in place to ensure that children who have been adopted are provided for in the same way as biological children. This includes financial support for education, healthcare, and other living expenses.

It is important for parents to be aware of their legal obligations to their adopted children and to fulfill them to the best of their ability. Failure to do so can result in legal consequences, including potential court-ordered support and enforcement action.

Additionally, parents should also consider the emotional and psychological support that their adopted children may need as they transition into adulthood. Providing a stable and supportive environment for adopted children, both financially and emotionally, can have a significant impact on their well-being and future success.

In conclusion, parents in New York have a legal obligation to support their adopted children until they reach the age of 21. This includes providing financial assistance for education, healthcare, and other living expenses. Parents need to be aware of and fulfill these obligations to ensure the well-being of their adopted children.
... Read More
Q. A detective said my name was implicated in an investigation. Wants me to come to the police station to answer questions
A: First and foremost, it is essential to understand your rights and responsabilidades in this type of situation. In the United States, individuals have the right to remain in silence and the right to have an attorney present during police questioning. You are not obligated to go to the police station and answer question without consulting with an attorney first. It is within your rights to request legal representation before engaging in any police questioning or investigation.

If the detective has requested your presence at the police station, it is advisable to seek legal counsel before going. An attorney can provide guidance on how to proceed and ensure that your rights are protected during the questioning l. By having an attorney present, you can also avoid potential pitfalls and protect yourself from self-incrimination. ... Read More
Q. Can i take my kids mom to court for not telling me she was in treatment
A: The use of drugs and alcohol can affect the entire family; however, the impact of parental alcohol or drug abuse can be devastating to a child. In cases involving children, the court’s objective is to come to a custody arrangement that is in the best interest of the child. Parental substance abuse can deprive the child of stability, safety and a healthy relationship with the using parent, the court takes parental drug and alcohol use seriously. When accusations of alcohol or drug use arise, the judge will likely order one or both parents to submit to testing.
View More Answers
Contact & Map
17 State Street
Suite 4000
New York, NY 10004
Telephone: (212) 258-0713
Fax: (973) 621-0606