Free Consultation: (251) 947-6247Tap to Call This Lawyer
Mr. James Parrish Coleman

Mr. James Parrish Coleman

  • Divorce, Family Law, Probate ...
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&A

James Parrish Coleman was born on August 23, 1955, in Jackson Mississippi. He and his wife live in Silverhill, Ala. Mr. Coleman is a 1977 graduate of Loyola University with a degree in Journalism. He worked as a newspaper reporter, operated his family's marine supply business and was a sales representative for a large manufacturer before attending law school at Birmingham School of Law, while working full time. He graduated from Birmingham School of Law in 2006 and started work as an associate at Murchison & Howard, LLC in Foley, Ala. He opened his own firm in July 2012. He is past chairman of the Baldwin County Bar Probate Committee. He is an avid cook and active volunteer for the United States Coast Guard as a legal assistance officer. His son, James Parrish Coleman III is a partner is the law firm. His daughter, Sarah F. Coleman is an associate with the firm with an office in New Orleans, La. Both James and Sarah are licensed in Louisiana.

Practice Areas
    Collaborative Law, Contested Divorce, Military Divorce, Property Division, Same Sex Divorce, Spousal Support & Alimony, Uncontested Divorce
    Family Law
    Adoption, Child Custody, Child Support, Father's Rights, Guardianship & Conservatorship, Paternity, Prenups & Marital Agreements, Restraining Orders, Same Sex Family Law
    Probate Administration, Probate Litigation, Will Contests
    Real Estate Law
    Commercial Real Estate, Condominiums, Easements, Eminent Domain, Homeowners Association, Land Use & Zoning, Mortgages, Neighbor Disputes, Residential Real Estate, Water Law
    Business Law
    Business Contracts, Business Dissolution, Business Finance, Business Formation, Business Litigation, Franchising, Mergers & Acquisitions, Partnership & Shareholder Disputes
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
1170 Questions Answered
Q. If mom is primary custodian of child and child decides he wants to live with father does mom have to pay child support
A: Only if you go back to court and modify support. Also, the child does not make the decision who who he wants to live with.
Q. I have a 24yr old daughter where I owe arrears, there have been periods where I honored my child support orders but when
A: Your problem is this, past due child support payments are final judgements each month they remain unpaid. A court does not have the power relieve you of that. You may be able to get relief from some of the interest due, but the fact that you didn't pay while in prison does not help. You can go to court and attempt to set a court ordered payment on the arrearage that will allow you to work and pay this off, that is what you need to do. COntact an attorney in your area who has experience in this. Remember, the fact that you were in prison, etc etc. does not matter. The court does have the authority to set an arrearage payment. There is no guarantee that the Court will do that, but the Court can set a monthly amount, and that's your goal. Good luck.
Q. can i have my arears resolved if my oldest is 21 and my youngest passed away in January?
A: You cannot remove past due child support amounts. They are final judgements against you in the month that they are unpaid. You can attack a judgment on some very narrow grounds, but not based on what you have laid out. You should have gone back to court when your income changed. You can modify child support based on one child's reaching the age of 19, but you must make a court filing to do that. Find a lawyer and get this done, at least.
View More Answers
Contact & Map
22787 Highway 59 South
22787 Highway 59 South
Robertsdale, AL 36567
Telephone: (251) 947-6247