Miguel Nieves

Miguel Nieves

Experienced Family Law Attorney Serving MA & NH
  • Divorce, Family Law
  • Massachusetts, New Hampshire
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Since his admission to the bar in Massachusetts in 2001, Miguel A. Nieves has earned a strong reputation for helping people facing domestic relations issues throughout southern New Hampshire and Massachusetts. He has successfully and compassionately guided clients through all aspects of the divorce process as well as post-divorce issues.

Attorney Nieves uses patience and practicality when devising a strategy to meet the goals of those he represents. He is adept at handling matters inside and outside the courtroom. Although his goal is to resolve matters short of trial, Attorney Nieves has had numerous successful jury and bench trials throughout his career. His client-focused approach and ability to generate results are just a few of the reasons he holds the highest peer rating possible of AV Preeminent from Martindale-Hubbell and was named a Rising Star by Super Lawyers magazine in the field of Family Law.

These accolades are rooted in Attorney Nieves' experience and education. In 1997, he received a Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy and Political Science from The University of New Hampshire. He then graduated from New England Law | Boston in 2000 with a Juris Doctor. While there, Attorney Nieves was a member of the school's law review where he served as a Case and Notes Editor and had his submission chosen for publication by his peers.

Practice Areas
  • Divorce
  • Family Law
Additional Practice Area
  • Child Support and Child Custody
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
New Hampshire
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English
  • Spanish
New England Law | Boston
J.D. (2000)
New England Law | Boston Logo
University of New Hampshire
B.A. (1997)
University of New Hampshire Logo
Professional Associations
State Bar of Massachusetts # 650096
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Maine State Bar # 005385
Placeholder image for professional associations.
New Hampshire State Bar # 17895
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Articles & Publications
Immigration Consequences of Divorce
New Hampshire Bar News
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
6 Questions Answered

Q. I'm a stay at home mom who hasn't worked in 4 years. My husband wants a divorce, my child attends school from 9-12.
A: You should receive some type of support. This is a great forum for general legal questions. However, it sounds as if you will need more detailed assistance. You should contact an experienced family attorney in your area to discuss your case.
Q. My 19 year old son is no longer going to College and recently moved out of his mother's house and got an Apt.
A: You should file a Complaint for Modification immediately if your son has moved out of the custodial parent's home permanently. It is likely he is now emancipated. However, if he moves back with the custodial parent and/or continues with college he may become un-emancipated again.
Q. Can an illegal immigrant succeed in getting a child support order against a legal resident? s s
A: The court will not take into account your immigration status. You should file you complaint for child support immediately.
Q. I-485 - Have you ever knowingly committed a moral turpitude crime without being arrested?
A: Was this a criminal or civil matter? It would be best to run a CORI to see exactly what happened in that case and see if there is any other record. You should also get a complete copy of the file from the court in which you appeared and take the copy to an experienced immigration attorney. You will need a certified copy of the disposition as well.
Q. Can i move out of the house before divorce
A: You can certainly move out of your home whenever you want. However, there are numerous considerations you have to take into account. You have not provided much information. Are children involved? Is the home owned or rented? Who will pay the utilities? Are they in your name? Will you contribute to the mortgage/rent once you move out if your wife cannot afford it? You would be best served to speak with a divorce attorney to discuss your options.
Q. Will the court order a freeze on my husbands assets while we are in separation? and by law he can not remove his 401 k
A: In every divorce action, an automatic restraining order becomes effective against the plaintiff upon the filing of a complaint, and against the defendant upon service of the summons and complaint on the defendant. To paraphrase, the order prevents: 1. Either party from selling, transferring, encumbering, concealing,assigning, removing or disposing of any property belonging to either party, except: o As required for reasonable expenses of living; o In the ordinary and usual course of business; o In the ordinary and usual course of investing; o To pay for reasonable attorney's fees and costs connected to the divorce action; o By written agreement of both parties; or o By order of the Court 2. Either party from incurring any further debts that would burden the other party's credit, including but not limited to: o further borrowing against any credit line secured by the marital residence; or o unreasonably using credit cards or cash advances against credit or bank cards; 3. Either party from directly or indirectly changing the beneficiary of any life insurance policy, pension plan, retirement plan or investment account; 4. Either party causing the other party or the minor children to be removed from an existing insurance policy.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
Fernandez, Socci & Nieves
4 High Street, Suite 306
North Andover, MA 01845
Toll-Free: (978) 681-5454
Telephone: (978) 681-5454
Cell: (978) 681-5454
Fax: (978) 689-3111