Free Consultation: (847) 549-0600Tap to Call This Lawyer
Michael Goldberg

Michael Goldberg

Partner at Johnston Tomei Lenczycki & Goldberg LLC - A Libertyville Law Firm
  • Estate Planning, Probate
  • Illinois
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

I am a lifelong Chicagoland resident with a passion for helping families plan their estates so their loved ones are cared for upon their passing. I utilize wills, trusts, powers of attorney for property and healthcare, with the goal of both ensuring that assets pass to your intended loved ones and to make sure that the right people are acting on your behalf if you are unable to make decisions. For families with a recently deceased loved one, I will represent the appointed fiduciaries in administering the estate, be it probate administration or trust administration.

I am licensed to practice in Illinois and primarily work in Lake County, Cook County, McHenry County, DuPage County, Will County, Kane County, and Kendall County. I am also licensed for the Federal Bar of the Northern District of Illinois.

I offer a no charge, no strings attached initial consultation for estate planning. We can formulate an estate plan that meets your needs without breaking the bank. If you recognize that you need estate planning (and everyone does!) then do not hesitate to give me a call.

Practice Areas
    Estate Planning
    Guardianship & Conservatorship Estate Administration, Health Care Directives, Trusts, Wills
    Probate Administration, Probate Litigation, Will Contests
  • Free Consultation
    I offer a no charge initial consultation for estate planning and probate.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Supreme Court of Illinois
ID Number: 6309094
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Federal Circuit
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Managing Partner
Johnston Tomei Lenczcyki & Goldberg LLC
- Current
Associate Attorney
Matlin Law Group, P.C.
Associate Attorney
Associate Attorney
The Rogers Law Group, NFP
Staff Attorney Intern
19th Judicial Circuit Court of Lake County, Illinois
University of Illinois - Chicago John Marshall Law School
J.D. (2012) | Law
Placeholder image for education.
Beloit College
B.A. (2007) | Political Science
Placeholder image for education.
Rising Stars
Professional Associations
Lake County Estate Planning Council
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Illinois Association of Independent Attorneys
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Lake County Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Illinois State Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Articles & Publications
Digital Asset Transfers Upon Death
Incorporating RUFADAA into Estate Planning Documents
The Docket - The Lake County Bar Association
Estate Planning for Cryptocurrency
Illinois Bar Journal
Speaking Engagements
Estate Planning, Libertyville, Illinois
The Lake County Retired Teachers Association
Managing Real Estate Broker
Websites & Blogs
Johnston Tomei Lenczycki & Goldberg LLC
Johnston Tomei Lenczycki & Goldberg LLC
Legal Answers
4 Questions Answered
Q. Im 20 years old, My grandparents passed away about 2 years ago and left no will. My mom doesn’t take care of the bills.
A: If your grandparents did not have a will, the default inheritance rules of the State of Illinois apply. Under the default inheritance rules, the first in line to inherit are the spouse and children of the decedent. Grandchildren would only inherit assets if their parent (the child of the decedent) is not living. If your mother is still living and she is the child of your deceased grandparents then you would not inherit the property. However, you would be next in line to inherit the property upon your mother's death provided she has not transferred it to another party or lost it in eviction or foreclosure.
Q. What statuory notices do I need to send out as an administrator of an estate? And, what is a verified inventory?
A: As a recently appointed administrator of an estate, you are required to provide 1) a notice to heirs and legatees of rights in independent administration (if it is indeed independent administration) 2) claims notice published in the newspaper 3) notice to known creditors mailed directly to them. This is the bare minimum, and some counties in Illinois might require their own specific forms. A verified inventory is an inventory of assets in the estate that you would attest to under oath as full and complete to the best of your knowledge.

It is imperative that you speak with a probate attorney if you do not have one as you are acting as a fiduciary to the heirs/legatees and if you make any mistakes in administering the estate you could be held personally liable and subject your personal assets to loss. A probate attorney's job will be to make sure you are following all of the legal requirements and not making any mistakes that would subject you to liability. This is worth every penny. ... Read More
Q. Grandparents put their house into a living trust & want me to have it. How to go about this?
A: Your grandparents can deed the property to you, but this is problematic because there is a mortgage on the property. The mortgage likely contains an acceleration clause that states upon transfer of the property to a third party, the mortgage will be immediately due and payable on full. Further, if the property is worth more than the annual gift tax exemption, your grandparents would have to file a gift tax return. It would be best for your grandparents to speak with a lawyer to discuss the implications of transferring the property and how to avoid mortgage acceleration and incurring taxes (including transfer taxes and municipal fees).
View More Answers
Contact & Map
Johnston Tomei Lenczycki & Goldberg LLC
350 N. Milwaukee Ave.
Ste. 202
Libertyville, IL 60048
Telephone: (847) 549-0600 Ext. 103
Monday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Tuesday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Wednesday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Thursday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Friday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Saturday: Closed
Sunday: Closed (Today)