Michael Edwards

Michael Edwards

Sterling Law Offices, S.C.
  • Family Law, Divorce, Domestic Violence
  • Wisconsin
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ABlawgsearchSocial Media

Michael A. Edwards was born in Milwaukee, WI. Michael attended the Drake University in Des Moines, Iowa and graduated in 2014 after earning a Bachelor of Arts degree in Law, Politics & Society and Rhetoric & Communication Studies. Michael graduated from Drake with University Honors.

Michael graduated from Marquette University Law School in 2017 with a Certificate in Sports Law as well as Pro Bono Honors for volunteering nearly 400 hours of his time to pro bono legal services.

Currently, Michael assists clients with family law issues in Fond du Lac and surrounding counties.

While in school, Michael held various internship positions including positions with a sole practitioner, a bankruptcy firm, Bronx County Civil Court of New York, the Milwaukee Justice Center, Milwaukee County Circuit Court – Family Division, Legal Aid Society of Milwaukee and compliance for Marquette University Athletics.

Over the years Michael has also been of service to his community having worked with the National Multiple Sclerosis Foundation, Meals from the Heartland, the Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra, Easter Seals and United Way.

Practice Areas
  • Family Law
  • Divorce
  • Domestic Violence
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Senior Associate Attorney
Sterling Law Offices, S.C.
- Current
Associate Attorney
Zacherl, O'Malley & Endejan, S.C.
Marquette University Law School
J.D. (2017) | Law
Honors: National Sports Law Institute Certificate recipient; Pro Bono Honor Society (400 hours of pro bono work)
Activities: Intellectual Property Law Society; Entertainment Law Society; Jewish Law Student's Association; Sports Law Society; Student Animal Legal Defense Fund; Student Bar Association; Sports Law Review (staff editor)
Marquette University Law School Logo
Drake University
B.A. (2014) | Law, Politics & Society; Rhetoric & Communication Studies
Honors: 2013 Drake University Dean's List; 2013 Order of the Lamp Scholarship Award; Recipient of 4 academic scholarships, Drake University Honors Distinction.
Activities: Pi Kappa Phi fraternity (founding father); Delta Theta Phi (pre-law); Order of Omega Greek Honor Society; Drake University Hillel
Drake University Logo
2018 Avvo Client's Choice Award
Avvo is one of the legal industry's most prominent and widely used directories. According to the company, they list 97% of all attorneys practicing in the U.S. Unlike the other Avvo award badges, the Clients' Choice honor is given as a result of the quality and frequency of client reviews left for a particular attorney listed on the Avvo site. To receive a Clients' Choice Award, an attorney must have: Five or more client reviews with 4 or more stars in the past year.
Professional Associations
Fond du Lac Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
The Divorce Cooperation Institute
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
State Bar of Wisconsin # 1098942
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Milwaukee Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Certificate in Sports Law
Marquette University School of Law - National Sports Law Institute
Websites & Blogs
Law Firm Website
Legal Answers
26 Questions Answered

Q. how can I initiate a paternity action as the father. The child is in Jackson county, I live in Trempealeau county
A: You can file the paternity action either in Jackson County or Trempealeau County. I would think that the better option in this case though would be to file in Jackson County since the I assume the child is living with the other parent in that county.
Q. can I get child support for my son who lives with me full time if there is not a court order yet in place?
A: If you want to receive child support, you would need a court order in place to be able to enforce it. In most cases, child support will follow a placement order so you will probably want to request an order for primary placement and then request the court to calculate child support for that as well. Going by the standard percentage calculation in Wisconsin, child support would be calculated using 17% of the payer's gross monthly income.
Q. If my son still lives at home with my ex wife and my ex wife files a report that she no longer wants child suport.
A: Once your son is 18, you no longer have an obligation to pay your ex-wife child support for that child. Child support needs to be notified of the fact that he has reached 18 years of age. There is no possible way your son to receive child support from you though. Child support is going to be paid to a parent or legal guardian of the children at issue.
Q. In Wisconsin can you get a divorce while pregnant
A: Under Wisconsin law, if one of the parties is pregnant during the divorce, the divorce cannot be finalized until the child is born.
Q. I live in Wisconsin. Been married almost 9 yrs, and getting a divorce. What I'm I entitled to as far as our house?
A: There are many factors that play into this decision. Your friend is partially correct since Wisconsin is a marital property state meaning that the default assumption is that marital property will be divided equally among the parties. However, there are a number of factors that may cause the court to deviate from this presumption. Of course if there are minor children involved, that may also make a difference in how the property is divided.
Q. I was a victim of domestic abuse for years. He moved away but still comes back a lot, can he be arrested?
A: It all depends on what he is doing when he keeps coming back to the residence. If he is engaged in violent or offensive behavior with you, consider notifying the police since you can get a record of it from a police report. If this happens frequently, you may want to consider filing for a restraining order.
Q. What paperwork needs to filed to change placement and child support for a child? Both parties are in agreement.
A: Since both of you are in agreement with regard to the changing placement and child support, you can file a stipulation with the court highlighting the changes you wish to make. Both of you need to sign this document and you will need to have it notarized as well. However, be aware that the changes will not go into effect until the family court commissioner or judge have signed off on the document.
Q. What happens if neither party show up for child support
A: If neither party shows up for a child support hearing, it is likely the case will be dismissed and the judge will not make a ruling on the issue.
Q. My ex was ordered to pay child support. I just graduated and started working. He has quit showing up for his job.
A: He can fight you all he wants for more placement or child support but that does not necessarily mean he is going to get what he wants. He is not likely going to be able to get child support from you unless he has the majority of the placement time. Of course there are many other factors that play into that decision as well. I would honestly need to know more information about your situation to give you a more specific answer though.
Click here to see all answers