Free Consultation: (917) 554-8231Tap to Call This Lawyer
Michael D. Litman

Michael D. Litman

  • Criminal Law, DUI & DWI
  • Eastern District of New York, New York, Southern District of New York
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media
Practice Areas
  • Criminal Law
  • DUI & DWI
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Eastern District of New York
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
New York
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Southern District of New York
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Associate Attorney
Law Office of Michael H. Joseph
Staff Attorney
Nassau County Legal Aid Society
Albany Law School
Albany Law School Logo
10 Best
American Institute of Criminal Law Attorneys
Top 40 Under 40
The National Trial Lawyers
Professional Associations
National College of DUI Defense
General Member
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Westchester County Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
New York State Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Websites & Blogs
Law Office of Michael D. Litman, PLLC - Official Website
Legal Answers
31 Questions Answered

Q. Im in a situation where I resigned from my job on Oct 15 , and on 11/4 reached to me saying they got me for 5k theft.
A: If they want you to come in, they are probably going to have detectives there to arrest you, which is likely mandatory for their insurance company to cover any losses. They might be able to prove that you took something from the video, but it is hard to say if they are going to be able to prove that you took the whole $5K. If all of the missing money coincides with the shifts you were working, they may present that as evidence. You should look into hiring an attorney ASAP to be prepared in case you are arrested on Thursday.
Q. What if a detective denied me a lawyer? could my case be thrown out? criminal possession of a controlled substance
A: You need an attorney to fully review the facts of the case. It may be possible to have evidence suppressed if procedures were not followed properly , or if there was no basis for the stop. No attorney in this forum is going to be able to say if it can be thrown out without a full review. If you don't have an attorney yet, get one as soon as possible.
Q. Get rid of misdemeanor on record in New York State...?
A: Unfortunately, it does not matter where you move to, the NY record can't be expunged. However, it may be able to be sealed after 10 years, but that does nothing for you over the next 7 years.
Q. Hi i was given a desk appearance ticket due to a false report but I then told the truth will I just be facing probation?
A: If this is your first offense, it is not likely that you will be facing jail time, and probably not even probation. It is possible that the charge will be reduced to a non-criminal offense. You should hire an attorney to discuss the specifics of the case with, so you know exactly what you are facing. Good luck.
Q. What do I do about a dui conviction
A: I'm not sure what your question is. If you were convicted of a DWI, you should have had a lawyer representing you and advising you about the consequences of a guilty plea or conviction after trial. A criminal conviction goes on your record and stays on your record. If it has been over 10 years since your sentence is finished, you may be able to seal the conviction, but NY does not expunge criminal records. Speak to a local attorney to see if you qualify for sealing if it has been 10 years.
Q. If you have a order of protection can you be infront the person house
A: If there is an order of protection, ordering you to stay away from a particular person, you should not go in front of that protected-person's house. That may be considered a violation of the order of protection.
Q. Can I drop domestic violence charges on my 16yr old son. He was asked to go live with his dad multiple times and refused
A: You can't "drop" the charges, but you can relate your wishes to the prosecutor, for the prosecutor to consider in determining what to do. You can also refuse to participate in the prosecution. Speak to your son's attorney to get some direction from him or her.
Q. What would the consequences be if I refused a Breathalyzer?
A: If you refuse to take a chemical test (breath, blood or urine), the DMV can revoke your license for one year. During that one year time period, you will not be able to get a conditional license unless you plea guilty or are found guilty of a DWI related offense. Additionally, your refusal may be used against you at trial as consciousness of guilt. There are other issues specific to the facts of the case. If you have a pending case, you should speak to your attorney about how a refusal effects your case.
Q. I was arrested in 2004 and never got a disposición how can I get one after so long and is it even possible??
A: I'm not sure I fully understand your question, but you can go to the clerk's office of the court that the case was in to find out what happened. You should also be able to get a certificate of disposition from the court if the case was finished. If you are talking about a warrant, where you did not show up to court when you were supposed to, then you need to hire an attorney to vacate the warrant and try to finish the case.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
Law Office of Michael Litman, PLLC
75 S. Broadway
Suite 403
White Plains, NY 10601
Cell: (917) 554-8231
Fax: (914) 259-8985