Matt, a 2006 graduate of Appalachian State University and a 2013 graduate of Elon University School of Law, has joined the Deuterman Law Group’s Veterans Disability Benefits practice. He has been working on behalf of disabled veterans across the state since 2014, first as a volunteer with NC VetsCorp, an AmeriCorps program, and later as a staff attorney in the veterans practice group of Legal Aid of North Carolina. As part of his duties as staff attorney, he was also the supervising attorney for Duke Law’s Veterans Assistance Project.
While he works with veterans from all eras and with all conditions, Matt has sought to earn experience in cases specifically related to unreported military sexual trauma (MST) and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Many of his clients served in the military decades ago and have lived with the untreated psychological and physical effects of their traumas since that time. Matt chose to pursue this particular focus because he realized there were fewer avenues of obtaining expert assistance for veterans with these types of claims.
While in law school at Elon, he volunteered with the Innocence Project and was a student representative and solicitor on the Honor Council. He also served as a street law coach for a local middle school and was a member of the faculty selection committee.
Matt is active in organizations that focus on improving access to justice for veterans. He is Secretary of the National Law School Veteran Clinics (NLSVCC). He has helped operate multiple free legal services clinics for homeless veterans at Stand Down events in Greensboro, Durham, Raleigh and elsewhere across the state.
Matt was admitted to the N.C. State Bar in 2013 and earned his VA accreditation in 2014. He was admitted to the Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims in 2016.
His past experiences include the N.C. General Assembly, the the N.C. Department of Justice, an Asheville estate law firm, and the inaugural class of Elon’s Elder Law Clinic.
- Personal Injury
- Veterans Disability Benefits
- Free Consultation
Veterans Disability Benefits
- Contingent Fees
- North Carolina
- North Carolina State Bar
- Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims
- English: Spoken, Written
- Associate Attorney
- Deuterman Law Group
- - Current
- Elon University
- J.D. (2013)
- Appalachian State University
- B.S. | Criminal Justice
- North Carolina State Bar # 46834
- VA Accreditation
- National Organization of Veterans' Advocates, Inc.
- Deuterman Law Group
- Veterans Deserve More Than Thanks
11 November 2019
- Help for veterans exposed to toxic chemicals on Okinawa
5 November 2019
- Attorney Daniel Donovan Earns Membership in Million Dollar Advocates Forum
24 October 2019
- Vet Your Records: Free Legal Clinic for Veterans
21 October 2019
- Attorney Michele Cybulski earns place in prestigious Million Dollar and Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forums
18 October 2019
- VA Changes Process for Handling Appeals for Disability Benefits
26 June 2019
- Actress Shares MS Diagnosis and Brings Awareness to Disabling Condition
20 June 2019
- Military Vets Who Used Defective Ear Plugs May be Able to Sue 3M for Hearing Loss
24 April 2019
- Driverless cars: What do they mean for insurance rates and accident liability?
5 April 2019