Free Consultation: (914) 840-4176Tap to Call This Lawyer
Mathew Paulose Jr.

Mathew Paulose Jr.

Highly sought after by Westchester residents
  • Business Law, Construction Law, Employment Law
  • New York
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&A

With more than 20 years of litigation experience, we've handled more than 200 cases in the federal courts of New York and more than 100 cases in New York state courts. We've tried cases in Westchester County, New York County, Kings County, Queens County, and Nassau County. We've tried cases involving civil rights to contract rights, from personal injury to property disputes, from lien law to employment law. On the plaintiff's side we've been in the Top Verdicts in New York Verdict Search. On the defendant's side we once had a jury award only $1 against our client. We've been in the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, the Village Voice, and Forbes. We've written articles for the New York Law Journal, the New York State Bar, and several New York Law Reviews. We've won awards for our writing skills, received written acknowledgements from a federal judge for our trial performance ("outstanding"), and a slew of compliments from the people we've helped (see our website). We have three degrees, including a Masters of Law. We're even an Administrative Law Judge for a State agency. We enjoy our jobs and we love our clients. We are one of Westchester's most sought after lawyers.

Practice Areas
  • Business Law
  • Construction Law
  • Employment Law
Additional Practice Areas
  • Property Disputes
  • Commercial Disputes
  • Contract Law
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Contingent Fees
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
New York
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
  • Spanish: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Paulose & Associates PLLC
- Current
Head of Litigation
Koehler & Isaacs LLP
Fordham University School of Law
Fordham University School of Law Logo
New York University School of Law
New York University School of Law Logo
Top Verdicts
Verdict Search
Professional Associations
New York State Bar # 2989879
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Articles & Publications
Effect of Guilty Pleas on Subsequent Section 1983 Claims of Excessive Force
New York State Bar Association Section Newsletter
Speaking Engagements
Avoiding litigation in employment hiring, How to Find a Job in any Economy: Resources, Strategies, and Advice
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
19 Questions Answered

Q. Is compensation needed to make a standard one way nda valid?
A: Greetings. Your inquiry touches upon the legal idea of consideration in enforceable contracts. The idea essentially says that for a promise to be enforceable something must be given for it. Note however that the "something" can be essentially anything, whether small or big, valuable or invaluable, even an idea can be consideration. "Absent a claim of fraud or unconscionability, the adequacy of consideration is not a proper subject for judicial scrutiny." Spaulding v. Benenati, 57 N.Y.2d 418 (1982). Furthermore, "not enough consideration" is not equivalent to "no consideration;" consideration "need not be coextensive or even proportionate, so long as the value of the thing forborne or promised is acceptable to the promise." Fid. New York FSB v. Madden, 212 A.D.2d 572 (2d Dep't 1995). Thus, so long as the other party is doing something (in the case of one way NDAs: opening doors to secret information), consideration will not be questioned by the courts.
Q. My mother transferred the deed to her home to me Sister found out Mother now saying I verbally promised to share it
A: Greetings. In New York, the Statute of Frauds requires promises to convey real property to be in writing. If they are not in writing, they are not enforceable. There are exceptions however. You need a lawyer to represent you and flesh out the facts. Please contact a good New York lawyer today so you do not lose any claims or defenses. Good luck.
Q. My fiance and I recently split up when we were together I purchased and paid for a mobile home for us her name
A: Greetings. New York's heart balm act (Section 80-b of NY's Civil Rights Law) allows individuals to sue for return of property given to a fiance in contemplation of marriage. Common examples include return of an engagement ring, a house, a car, a fur coat, etc. The court will direct the fiance to return the property, or if the property is gone or otherwise unavailable, force the fiance to pay damages. One may be able to file suit pro se in civil court or small claims court, but having an attorney would make the process easier. Contact a good New York attorney today. Good luck. Note, this answer applies only if you are considering NY law; the answer does not address PA law.
Q. Im in NY State. Do the NY state labor laws allow for employees to get information about the content shared about u.
A: Greetings. If a person is connected to a governmental agency (for example, they have a pending unemployment application in front of an unemployment agency), they should be able to get all evidence submitted by any party just be asking. If a person is not connected to the agency (for example, an outsider who has nothing pending before the agency but wants the information nevertheless), under NY's Freedom of Information Law, agency records are presumptively available for public inspection, without regard to the need or purpose of the applicant, unless the requested documents fall within one of the exemptions set forth in the Law. For additional details, a good New York lawyer should be consulted. Good luck.
Q. Need a lawyer to write to a university about my rights as a student & academic dismissal incorrectly done.
A: Greetings. Based on your inquiry, it appears you have been disciplined in some way by your academic institution that you feel is incorrect. The proper procedure for addressing an institution's actions is by way of an Article 78 filed in NY Supreme Court (if all internal procedures have been exhausted). But please note, "Judicial review of the actions of a private school in disciplinary matters is limited to a determination as to whether the school acted arbitrarily and capriciously or whether it substantially complied with its own rules and regulations." Also, regarding the penalty imposed, only those that are "so disproportionate as to shock one's sense of fairness" will be annulled or adjusted. Please contact a good New York attorney for further guidance.
Q. How to sue casting website in theatre for damages of restraint of trade by stopping ad, relying on false information.
A: Greetings. This is a service contract dispute. The dispute will be governed by the contract. You need a lawyer to review the contract and determine your rights and remedies. For example, if there is a paragraph or clause in a contract that dictates when and why one party may terminate the contract, then that paragraph or clause will likely govern the dispute. If there is no contract, then common law will apply, which (in New York) states that service contracts are terminable at will, with certain exceptions. Again, you will need a lawyer to help you with this dispute. Contact one today.
Q. Width of utility easement is unclear
A: Greetings. This appears to be a scrivener's error. You will need an attorney to reform the document. The attorney will file an action in court asking the court to determine whether 10 or 20 feet was intended by the parties that created the easement. The Town will be joined as a party to the lawsuit. Your attorney will present proof one way or the other depending on the evidence available in conjunction with your best interests. Your real estate attorney will likely be able to file the action for a reasonable charge. Good luck.
Q. Hi. Case number 1:19-cv-01471 Mallenkrock ard llc v verma cms. Do you think a decision will be rendered soon.
A: Greetings. You are asking for information on what appears to be a federal case (DC Circuit?). The public has access to the docket for federal courts. Feel free to routinely search the docket to see if a decision has been rendered. As for when a judge has to issue a decision, there is no timeline. There are internal timelines, but those are made by the chief judge or the court itself and are not made public. Moreover, they are aspirational, not binding. Rest assured however that if the judge stated that you would have a decision by the fall, then you likely will have one soon, if you haven't received one already. Good luck.
Q. Am I able to sue or do anything about this situation?
A: Greetings. We agree with Michael. But since you may have the commitments in writing, whether by email or in some other form, we want to add that you should take your potential case to an employment lawyer and have the lawyer flesh out the facts for you and see if you have a colorable claim. The lawyer may also look into an equitable claim, such as fraud. Under New York law, you would have to prove that your employer made a misrepresentation which was false and known to be false that was made for the purpose of inducing you to reasonably rely upon. The problem with fraud is that it is very difficult to prove a present intent not to perform the promised act, which is an essential element. You must find proof that your manager always had in mind the trick to make you stay. Speak with a lawyer today as there are other problems that will have to be overcome (such as employment at will and damages, etc.). Good luck.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
499 New Rochelle Road
Bronxville, NY 10708
Telephone: (914) 840-4176