Receiver Mark Adams pioneered the health and safety receivership remedy in California, becoming the first receiver ever appointed under the California Health and Safety Code. Over the past two decades, Mark remains the most experienced health and safety receiver working in the state. He has been appointed by 130+ different judges (state and federal) to rehabilitate over 220 properties in 34 counties and 100+ cities. Mark has mentored or trained most of the other health and safety receivers operating in California. Mark is a sought after speaker at state and national housing conferences. He submitted an amicus curiae brief in the California Supreme Court’s landmark ruling in support of the health and safety receivership remedy, City of Santa Monica v. Gonzalez 43 Cal. 4th 905 (2008).
Mark is a magna cum laude graduate of Loyola Marymount University and of Georgetown University Law Center. He has worked in real estate finance most of his 35-year career—in the private sector (Callie Mae from 1983 to 1988 and Fannie Mae from 1992-1996) as well as the public sector (Governor’s Office of Planning and Research 1978-1982). He served on, and was a driving force behind, Mayor Riordan’s Blue Ribbon Committee on Slum Housing from 1998-2000. He pioneered the funding of super-priority receivership certificates and over the last 20 years has funded over $40 million in health and safety receivership financing, with no loss to lenders to-date.
- Real Estate Law
- Gov & Administrative Law
- Construction Law
- Landlord Tenant
- Municipal Law
- Free Consultation
Contact Receiver Mark Adams and California Receivership Group for a free consultation to see if a nuisance property in your community would benefit from the receivership remedy.
- California Receivership Group
- - Current
- Specializing in real estate, real estate finance, and litigation for the appointment of slum housing receiver over nuisance properties under Health and Safety Code Section 17980.7, Penal Code, Code of Civil Procedure Section 564 et seq., and Business and Professions Code Section 17203.
- Georgetown University Law Center
- J.D. (1975)
- Loyola Marymount University
- B.A. (1972)
- Influential Family-Owned Business in Los Angeles
- Los Angeles Business Journal
- Mark Adams, President and Founder of California Receivership Group, is the most experienced Health and Safety Receiver in the State of California. CRG, his family business, was formed to provide a complete, turn-key solution for properties in repeated violation of health and safety codes. When appointed over a property as Receiver, the team is on-site immediately, beginning the process of fixing the property’s problems. CRG eliminates any dire threats posed to the owners, occupants and community, either by bringing in a construction team immediately or emptying the property if necessary. CRG is dedicated to protecting and preserving assets assigned to its custody and control while maintaining an ever-present sensitivity to the human and social side of the work. CRG is able to achieve immediate and effective results by deploying a team built specially for problem properties. This team includes attorneys, contractors, accountants, receivership administration, cleanup crews, property managers, professional organizers, ground operations managers and financiers.
- California State Bar # 68300
- - Current
Mark Adams, founder and President of California Receivership Group, discusses the impact of health and safety receivership on the people affected by it most: the community. In this case, thousands of people were living amongst countless hazardous code violations at a mobile home park without reliable access to running water and electricity. Conditions were so bad that it reminded Receiver Mark Adams of Steinbeck's descriptions of housing in The Grapes of Wrath. The receivership was the catalyst for positive change as a new park was built so that the occupants, many of them families with small children, could have clean and safe housing. The code violations were abated and the dangerous park was demolished, removing the blight from this community.Animal Rescue at a Health and Safety Receivership Property
Sheila, Counsel at California Receivership Group, discusses the impact of health and safety receivership on the vulnerable animals found at dangerous properties across California. In this case, a mother dog and her eight newborn puppies were found living outside at a nuisance property, surrounded by piles of junk and debris. Sheila and CRG worked with ASPCA to rescue the dog and her puppies. Initially, everyone thought that the mother dog would not make it since she was severely emaciated. Fortunately, Animal Control was able to bring her back to full health as well as get her and all of her puppies adopted. Receiver Mark Adams and California Receivership Group work throughout the state of California to remedy code violations at dangerous nuisance properties. Learn more at our website: www.calreceivers.comDramatic Change Achieved Through Receivership at Nuisance Property - California Receivership Group
A nuisance property plagued by crime is dramatically changed over the course of a few months through a health and safety receivership. California Receivership Group and Mark Adams were appointed to remedy this single-family home. Prior to our appointment, there were numerous calls for police service to address issues on-site including illegal drug use and violent crime. California Receivership Group secured the property and assisted occupants with relocating and retrieving their belongings prior to completing a major renovation and remediation of the code violations. The property will be sold to a buyer who demonstrates that they have the ability to maintain the home into the long-term future. Every action taken in a health and safety receivership is reviewed and approved by a superior court judge.