Assisting investors to recover losses has long been and will continue to be a focus of Mr. Haber’s securities law practice. Since 2005, Mr. Haber has successfully represented investors in litigation against Toronto Dominion Bank, Deutsche Bank Securities, Inc., Citigroup, Morgan Stanley, UBS, and J.P. Morgan. In 2006, he was a key member of the Sparer Law Group legal team that obtained a $5.8 million arbitration award in a case involving improper marketing of CDOs and other structured securities investments. In the same year, that team also obtained settlement in excess of $3 million for investors in cases involving overconcentration in high risk stocks. Mr. Haber has also helped investors recover large losses relating to structured products, auction rate securities, and zero coupon bonds.
Mr. Haber has represented financial service providers and investment funds in response to investigations and enforcement actions brought by governmental regulators who oversee securities professionals, including the SEC, FINRA, and California’s Department of Business Oversight. Mr. Haber has vigorously defended brokers, investment advisors, and hedge fund managers in actions by individuals and governmental agencies and, where necessary, has crafted creative solutions that have protected and advanced the interests of both investment professionals and their investors.
Mr. Haber’s practice has also included representing individuals, companies and institutions involved in a wide range of general litigation matters, including breach of contract, business valuation issues, environmental and land use regulation, trade secret disputes, and real estate partnership litigation. He was a member of the team that successfully represented the City College of San Francisco in multiple lawsuits over its plans to site a new campus in San Francisco's Chinatown/North Beach district.
- Business Law
- Real Estate Law
- Securities Law
- Stockbroker & Investment Fraud
- Contingent Fees
Alternative and contingent fee arrangements offered
- District of Colorado
- 9th Circuit
- 10th Circuit
- United States District Courts for the Northern, Central and Southern Districts of California
- Sparer Law Group
- - Current
- Howard, Rice, Nemerovski, Canady, Falk & Rabkin
- Kirkland & Ellis, Los Angeles
- University of California, Berkeley School of Law
- Honors: Associate Editor. American Jurisprudence Award-Criminal Law; Moot Court Best Brief.
- Activities: California Law Review
- University of California - Berkeley
- B.A. | Political Science and Philosophy
- Honors: University Honors; High Honors in Political Science.
- Northern California Super Lawyers
- Super Lawyers
- California State Bar # 192981
- Marc Cooper Haber's Website Profile
- Sparer Law Group Website
- Sparer Law Group Blog
- Structured CDs Are Not For Everyone, Or Maybe Anyone, And Almost Certainly Not You
8 September 2016
- Investor Should Beware Of Back-Tested Results In Marketing Materials
1 October 2015
- SEC Proposes To Expand Discovery In Administrative Hearings
25 September 2015
- Credit Suisse To Settle With Regulators Over Dark Pools
15 September 2015
- SEC: Calling Leveraged Fixed Income Products Safe Is Fraud
11 September 2015
- Settlement Of Claims Against Employers For High Fee Funds in 401(k)s
3 September 2015
- Muni Bond Funds Loaded With Unrated Bonds A "Red Flag"
16 March 2011
- Misuse of leveraged and inverse ETFs by financial advisors
9 March 2011
- SEC Investigating Municipal Bond Funds
8 March 2011