M. John Riley

M. John Riley

Simpson Legal Group, LLC
  • Divorce, Family Law
  • Iowa
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial MediaResponsive Law

I am a partner at Simpson Legal Group, LLC. I was a lawyer in Minnesota prior to practicing in Iowa. I I completed the Comprehensive Divorce & Family Mediation from Crilley Mediation Services to become a mediator in my community.

My education started at Minnesota State University in Mankato, MN where I received my Bachelor of Science and graduated Summa Cum Laude. In 2006, I graduated from Hamline University School of Law with my Juris Doctorate. I am a member of the Iowa State Bar Association.

I was admitted to the Iowa Bar in 2013.

Practice Areas
Property Division, Spousal Support & Alimony
Family Law
Child Custody, Child Support, Paternity, Prenups & Marital Agreements
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Supreme Court of Iowa
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Professional Experience
General Partner
Simpson Legal Group, LLC
- Current
Associate Attorney
Salvo, Deren, Schenck, Gross, Swain & Argotsinger, P.C.
Associate Attorney
Hoglund Law
University of Phoenix
M.P.A. (2011) | Public Administration
University of Phoenix Logo
Hamline University School of Law
J.D. (2006) | Law
Hamline University School of Law Logo
Minnesota State College & University - Minnesota State University, Mankato
B.S. (2003) | Political Science
Minnesota State College & University - Minnesota State University, Mankato Logo
Platinum Client Champion
AV Preeminent
Professional Associations
Iowa State Bar Association  # 29435525
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Mediation Training
Christine L. Crilley of Crilley Mediation Services
Websites & Blogs
Simpson Legal Group, LLC
Legal Answers
4 Questions Answered
Q. Divorce decree states two weeks on two weeks off with the kids. The ex wants only our daughter full time and not son.
A: A petition for modification needs to be filed to change the current custody arrangement.
Q. I live in the state of Iowa what does filing the requisite affidavit and proceeding with service by publication mean?
A: Google Iowa court forms. The site has legal forms for unrepresented parties.
Q. Getting a divorce, what is the wife entitled to?
A: In Iowa, the Courts will divide property and debts obtained during the marriage. Therefore, if the house was obtained during the marriage, it could be considered marital property.
View More Answers
Contact & Map
Simpson Legal Group, LLC
50 Northcrest Dr
Council Bluffs, IA 51503
Telephone: (712) 256-9899