Free Consultation: (816) 895-2858Tap to Call This Lawyer
Kristen Thurmond

Kristen Thurmond

Attorney and Owner of Thurmond Law Firm LLC
  • Family Law, Animal & Dog Law, Criminal Law...
  • Missouri
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Kristen focuses on family, criminal, and animal matters. Family law matters include divorces, changing or modifying custody orders, child support issues, child custody issues, and paternity actions. Kristen helps her clients be prepared for the legal issues that come during emotional times when family dynamics are changing.

Animal matters are an area of law that is growing. Pet owners find themselves facing fines and possible jail time. If you're a pet owner and find yourself facing some sort of legal problem, Kristen can help. Kristen has volunteered at Spay & Neuter KC on numerous occasions and has a passion for helping families keep their pets safe, healthy, and out of legal trouble.

Thurmond Law Firm can help individuals facing many types of criminal problems, such as theft, destruction of property, trespassing, assault, resisting arrest, domestic violence, harassment, and more.

At Thurmond Law Firm, we assist people just like you in cities all across the KC Metro area in Missouri, such as Kansas City, Independence, Grandview, Raytown, Lee's Summit, Belton, Harrisonville, Garden City, Liberty, Kearney, Gladstone, Riverside, Parkville, Platte City, and many others.

Originally from Nixa, Missouri, Kristen came to the Kansas City metro area to attend William Jewell College and fell in love with the city. She decided to go to UMKC School of Law and build connections in Kansas City.

Practice Areas
  • Family Law
  • Animal & Dog Law
  • Criminal Law
  • Juvenile Law
  • Traffic Tickets
  • Free Consultation
    Free initial consultations to help determine the issues and what we may be able to do to help before hiring us.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    We accept Visa and MasterCard.
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    Our firm is focused on assisting people with their legal needs while keep his or her best interests in mind. Ask us about our payment options, which may include hourly billing, flat fees, or payment schedules. Additionally, we offer limited representation for those who need legal guidance without the standard billing.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Attorney and Owner
Thurmond Law Firm LLC
- Current
The Law Offices of Creagar & Thurmond, LLC
Intern/Law Clerk
Whitsitt & Whitsitt, LLC
Student Attorney
UMKC Child and Family Services Clinic
University of Missouri - Kansas City School of Law
J.D. (2014) | Law
Activities: National Adoption and Child Welfare Moot Court Team; Animal Law Society, President 2013; UMKC Child and Family Services Clinic
William Jewell College
B.A. (2011) | English, History
Honors: Rick-Pinkerton Scholarship for Dedication to the English Department
Activities: WJC's Online Radio Station (Manager 2008-2011); International English Honors Society; International History Honors Society; Alpha Gamma Delta
Selected for Top 40 Under 40
National Trial Lawyers
Selected for Top 40 Under 40 in Family Law
American Academy of Attorneys
Nomination for Top Ten Attorney in Kansas City
American Institute of Family Law Attorneys
Professional Associations
The Missouri Bar # 67783
Spay & Neuter Kansas City
- Current
Activities: Volunteers assist with wellness care clinics, outreach programs, and community education opportunities. The goal of SNKC is to keep families together with their pets by providing low cost vaccinations, spays, and neuters and try to help families in need of supplies.
Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Assocation
- Current
Speaking Engagements
Volunteer Attorney, Ask-a-Lawyer Telethon, KCMBA Headquarters
Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Assocation
Answered calls from Kansas City area individuals to provide legal guidance and sources to find legal assistance.
Volunteer Attorney, Ask-a-Lawyer Telethon, KCMBA Headquarters
KCMBA and Fox
Local news stations ran stories directing citizens to call in for free legal help. If there was not an attorney there to help, they directed the person to a local directory to find an attorney in that area of law.
Guardian ad Litem
Missouri Bar
Websites & Blogs
Thurmond Law Firm
Legal Answers
84 Questions Answered

Q. If I get a divorce and my spouse and I own a business together, what happens? Even if I am only 30% owner and he was
A: When spouses own a business, one of two things happens once a business evaluation is done: one spouse buys out the other spouse or the business is dissolved and each spouse paid their portion. Maintenance (formerly known as alimony) may be an option but depends on the assets of the parties and other factors. You'll want to contact an attorney near you to discuss your options in more detail.
Q. My ex has sole custody of our kids. I'm paying CS but found out the kids don't live w/ him now? Options?
A: If you're struggling to hire an attorney try to find an attorney that may be able to help you on a limited scope basis, such as preparing paperwork to file. With the children turning 18 in June, the options are different than children about to turn 8. At the very least talk with an attorney who works in the county that issued the original order to figure out your options.
Q. Can my fiance adopt my five year old daughter?
A: Talk to an attorney about step-parent adoptions. There are lots of procedural hurdles and hoops, so having an attorney is going to be the easiest way to accomplish an adoption.
Q. Father willingly wanting to terminate rights?
A: Contact an attorney to help you or look at the self representation forms on the Missouri courts website. A father cannot terminate his rights unless another individual is going to step in to take his place. He can agree to no custody and you can agree to no child support. However, it is in your child's best interests to receive support from both parents if they're physically able to contribute. That said, every situation is unique. Talk with an attorney in your area.
Q. Ex-wife, primary care parent, asked me to keep son "for a few months" while she goes to rehab. Grounds for full custody?
A: You need to get an attorney immediately. The sooner you file, the sooner your child support obligations will stop or be retroactively stopped and the sooner you can get a new custody arrangement ordered by the court. Drug use is a very serious problem that judges will consider greatly when determining custody.
Q. Can someone file for Guardianship in a different county than where the original custody order was ordered in MO?
A: Yes, someone can file a new case in the county where all the individuals, including the children, reside. It does not necessarily mean they will prevail, though. The issue of can the county take up a guardianship case when there's a pending motion to modify is an issue for the court to determine. However, you will want to make sure you consult with an attorney to make the best procedural arguments possible.
Q. There is a dog in an abandoned house. Can I bring it food and water until animal control gets a warrant?
A: While this answer is a bit late, I still wanted to respond so if anyone else has a similar question they can find an answer. Your best bet is to call an animal welfare group or animal control before entering property that is not yours, even if you believe it to be abandoned. You could be charged with trespassing or get injured. If the dog is simply outside and you can easily and safely provide food and water, you physically can do so but it is at your own risk of injury and criminal charges if caught on the property by the owner. If the dog injures you, you will have no recourse as the dog is protecting its home and you're violating its space.
Q. My sons mother and teacher are withholding educational information from me regarding my son, i have full rights to.
A: One solution to the school issue is to call the school and ask about how to receive information directly from them as a parent who lives out of town. Most schools have online portals to view grades, correspondence, attendance, etc. At the very least, make sure you're receiving letters, notices, etc. by mail or email. It may mean you have to take a trip to the school with your judgment and ID card before you can speak to anyone, though. As for other issues, it sounds like you need to speak with an attorney experienced in modifying parenting plans to see if you need to file a motion for contempt, motion to modify, or family access motion (possibly even all three).
Q. What form to file if custodial parent leaves the state without notifying co-parent with no child care arrangements made?
A: This is going to depend on whether or not you have a court ordered parenting plan. If you do, immediately to file a motion to modify the judgment or prevent relocation of the child. If you do not, you need to file a petition to establish such a parenting plan. You will want an attorney to help you. These motions may be done pro se (try looking through the Missouri Courts website), but there's a lot of procedural and statutory requirements to them. Whatever, you need to make sure this is done as soon as possible to avoid any issues with a court having authority to enter judgments when children have been out of the state too long.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
Thurmond Law Firm LLC
Linwood Professional Building
204 West Linwood Boulevard
Kansas City, MO 64111
Telephone: (816) 895-2858