Free Consultation: (208) 805-9880Tap to Call This Lawyer
Kevin M Rogers

Kevin M Rogers

Idaho State Bar Association, Inns of Court
  • Divorce, Bankruptcy, Family Law...
  • Idaho, Idaho
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&AResponsive Law

Idaho native who understands Idaho and its people and officials. Attended schools in Boise, Idaho and Utah, graduating from Borah High School with a B.A. from Brigham Young University and J.D. from BYU Law School. Note Editor of the Journal of Public Law.
Seasoned attorney with 25 years experience. Experienced attorney in litigation, including family law, divorce and custody; bankruptcy, criminal defense, drug possession, DUI, domestic violence. If you are going through a divorce and concerned about your rights and have children and want what's best for them, I am the lawyer you want in court with you. If you have been stopped by police and charged with a crime and worried about what will happen to you? Will I be able to bond out? How will this affect my job, my family, my ability to continue to work, then I am the lawyer you want in court with you. You will have an attorney with experience as a seasoned trial lawyer. I will answer the phone when you call and i will meet with you and listen to you. If you are at a point in life where you need some help and don't know where else to turn, please give me a call.

Practice Areas
  • Divorce
  • Bankruptcy
  • Family Law
  • DUI & DWI
  • Domestic Violence
  • Criminal Law
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    I will accept credit cards. There is a 2.75% fee in addition to the fees quoted when using a credit card.
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    Criminal defense, adoptions, bankruptcy, most business issues are amenable to a "flat fee" for services I provide. This means I will charge you a one-time fee to represent you and that's all the money you will pay.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • Korean: Spoken
Professional Experience
Idaho State Bar Association, Inns of Court
Brigham Young University
J.D. (1989) | Korean Language, Political Science
Honors: Academic Scholarship
Activities: Debate, Moot Court
Brigham Young University Logo
J. Ruben Clark Law School
J.D. (1989) | Criminal Law, Criminal Procedure, Civil Procedure, Torts, Bankruptcy I & II, Constitutional Law, Contracts, Remedies
Most criminal defense and bankruptcy cases will operate on a flat fee basis. All custody matters and other litigation matters will operate on a non-refundable retainer basis plus an hourly rate billing.
Honors: Note Editor: Journal of Publc Law
Activities: Engaged in drafting contracts, custody proceedings, business litigation, legal advise and counsel; appearances and litigation in courtrooms.
Placeholder image for education.
Brigham Young University
B.A. (1986) | Political Science, statistics, Korean language
Wanted to become a physician but the law became of interest to me in a freak accident where my 2 yr. old son Michael had pulled himself up onto a metal folding chair in Sunday School class and in doing so, the chair folded up on his finger, cutting it off. We rushed the lad to UC Davis Hospital where he was triaged behind those drunks who had fallen down after biting their lips etc., and I was enraged. Here was my little boy losing his finger as I struggled to hold the tip to the exposed bone, horrified watching as it dried out. At last a cart with saline went by and I grabbed it and began squirting the finger tip with saline. Ultimately he was seen and the finger was saved. However, when I wrote the LDS Church and asked if they would please remove all such sharp, folding chairs from their buildings to keep the same thing from happening again, i was poo-pooed and told that the Church is self-funded and does not have a liability policy, to which my response was "well isn't that too bad, because all I asked you to do is remove similar chairs to prevent a similar occurrence from repeating itself and all you tell me is "let us do our jobs." I was furious and vowed that day to sue the Church. It was this experience that led me to become an attorney. Too many people are victims of crimes and negligence. They are in need of an advocate. I have spent my career advocating for people.
Honors: Note Editor for the Journal of Public Health
Activities: Extensive studies into the history of the LDS Church which led me to ask to have my name removed.
Brigham Young University Logo
Professional Associations
Idaho State Bar # 4076
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Legal Answers
103 Questions Answered

Q. I need help with filling out and filing custody papers. How would I go about that without being represented?
A: I understand money issues but custody papers and being self-represented do not go together. You can't imagine the difficulty of what you're thinking about doing. I would SO STRONGLY recommend that you ask family to loan you some serious money and hire an excellent attorney who knows the ropes and can help you. You have probably been told this old adage, "you are cutting off your nose to spite your face?" This is applicable to what you're asking about.
Q. Is there a legal service in boise area I can sit down and have my custody papers explained to me.
A: 2399 S. Orchard St., Ste. 204 Boise, Idaho 83705 Law Offices of Kevin M. Rogers Attorney at Law
Q. Is it possible to file to have parental rights removed of a parent if the people who are adopting are not married
A: I'm sorry but it is not possible in the State of Idaho right now. The State of Idaho has a pecuniary interest in NOT terminating a natural parent's rights. Why? Because the State of Idaho taxpayers will ultimately have to pay for any social services that you receive as the unmarried parent of children. I'm not suggesting that you are or will be receiving benefits from the State. However, if you happen to marry again and the man you marry is willing to "step into the shoes" of the natural father, then yes of course, you would then be able to file a Motion for Termination of Parental Rights concurrently with a Petition for Adoption, seeking to both terminate the parental rights of the natural father and in the same hearing, asking the Judge to let your husband adopt your children. The new "father" will then be legally responsible for any financial payments the State of Idaho pays to you and will be legally responsible to pay child support for the children if you and he should in the future be divorced.
Q. We recently went to court for an eviction. We were told by our property manager that we have to represent ourselves.
A: This is not true. You have the right to have legal counsel and I recommend you do! The ONLY legal actions I can think of in which you must represent yourself are if they sued you for back rent in small claims court and ?
Q. Husband is in prison for 4 years how do I file taxes?
A: If I understand your question, you and your husband have three (3) children of your own and your husband is the father of another child. Do you have custody of that child as well? And I am also understanding that your husband is not paying CS because he is in prison. Am I correct? If you don't have any income yourself then you don't make enough to have to file an income tax return. You have to make over $18,000 a year as a married person filing taxes before you'll have to file an income tax return.
Q. My wife cheated on me but i can’t prove penetration. Will i have any chance of keeping house and getting 50/50 custody?
A: In Idaho, irreconcilable differences gets the job done without the drama of proving guilt, which it sounds like you weren't there as the act was happening, so you can't prove guilt anyway. So, you CAN prove that you two no longer get along and that you want a divorce. ThE THING that generally dictates which one of you keeps the house is the one who can make the mortgage payment? Can you? If you can and she can, then it's a simple matter of one of you staying in the house and paying the other one to move out. How much you pay depends on her, up to 1/2 the equity. Now, 50-50% custody? Why? Do you work? How are you going to pick her up from school and take her to school? Can you do that? Which one of you has the schedule where they can do that? Take her to doctor's appointments, etc. THAT PERSON, will typically be the "Primary custodian," absent something irregular, such as illness or drug use etc. But you will have lots of time with your daughter, if you want, such as every other weekend, Spring Breaks, Christmas and alternating holiday breaks, 6-8 weeks of contiguous custody during the summer etc. Child support is determined by the income of both parents. Bills not covered by insurance are typically paid in accordance with the parties' pro-rata income determinations. Tax benefits can be calculated and credits given etc. I hope that answers your questions?
Q. I'm only seeing my son twice a week. I want what's best for my son with out the drama with my x girl. Where do I start?
A: If you were never married, you don't want to go near her and your child until you have a court order, if you and she are on the "outs" as far as talking things over are concerned. That's a quick way to invite her to call the police and allege that you did something, anything, which will land you in jail for your efforts. You need to get a lawyer and file what amounts to a "divorce" for people who have a child and were never married, called a "Petition for Paternity." This Petition says, "I'm not just a sperm donor, I am a DAD and want to be a DAD!" The Court will treat you then almost like you had been married and will take your petition and her's and see if you two can work out a visitation schedule yourselves or if they need to assign you a "mediator," to help you figure it out. As soon as you file it the Idaho Department of Health and Welfare will open a file and begin assigning you to pay child support. Don't EVER miss a payment and don't get bitter and NOT pay it, even though she's not allowing you to see your child currently. . . she will let you. She MUST LET YOU, and she CANNOT KEEP YOU from seeing your child if you truly want to be a DAD and not just a sperm donor.
Q. I accidentally threw away a garbage bag with chewing tobacco in it, and now I am being questioned about contriband
A: Don't answer questions asked by police, period. It's in the garbage. Who says YOU put it there? Did you? That's NEVER a good thing to do. I'm sure a neighbor walking down the road lifted your lid and threw it in there. If police think you put it there, MAKE THEM PROVE IT! Never give police ANYTHING, EVER! Police are NOT your friends, they are NOT trying to "do the right thing," they are TRYING TO CHARGE YOU WITH A CRIME, A DRUG CRIME! If you are convicted of a drug crime, you will NEVER get a FAFSA school loan. Never, ever, ever, EVER speak to the Sheriff or any other law enforcement.
Q. I’m mother child support for my ex husband to taking care my son now he is 15yrs old now I’m moving to different state
A: Do you pay CS to the Idaho Department of Health and Welfare, Child Support Receipting? If so, then you will still be required to pay CS for your son even though he says he wants to live with you. In the unlikely event that a court allowed you to pay your son's father directly, then you could probably get away with stopping CS payments after your son begins living with you. However, most likely, the Court-ordered CS doesn't stop just because your son decides to live with you. Why? Because it's a court order and not a private agreement between you and your ex. Therefore, until the court order is CHANGED officially, it will still say that YOU owe CS to your ex, so my humble advice to you is to get a Motion to Modify CS filed as soon as possible and get that order changed, so that your ex is paying YOu rather than you always paying him. Good luck!
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
Kevin M. Rogers Law Offices
2399 S. Orchard St., Ste. 204
Boise, ID 83705
Toll-Free: (208) 805-9880
Cell: (208) 805-9880
Fax: (208) 693-8824