Kedra M. Gotel

Kedra M. Gotel

Highly Qualified Georgia Attorney w/ Massachusetts Education
  • Estate Planning, Family Law, Divorce
  • Georgia
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media
Practice Areas
    Estate Planning
    Guardianship & Conservatorship Estate Administration, Health Care Directives, Trusts, Wills
    Family Law
    Child Custody, Child Support, Father's Rights, Guardianship & Conservatorship, Paternity, Prenups & Marital Agreements, Restraining Orders
    Collaborative Law, Contested Divorce, Military Divorce, Property Division, Same Sex Divorce, Spousal Support & Alimony, Uncontested Divorce
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
State Bar of Georgia
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
The Barnette Law Firm, LLC
University System of Georgia - Georgia Southern University
University System of Georgia - Georgia Southern University Logo
Western New England University School of Law
J.D. (2001) | Law
Honors: Dean's List Selected as Judge Advocate General Corps Summer Intern for United States Army (Fort McPherson Installation) Received Cali Award in Trusts & Estates (highest academic achievement in field of study) Judicial Extern for Hampden County Housing Court
Activities: Member of Multicultural Law Students Association
Placeholder image for education.
Professional Associations
State Bar of Georgia  # 969311
Placeholder image for professional associations.
American Bar Association
Family Law Section
- Current
Activities: Serve as an engaged member of the family law section. Present on topics of diversity and inclusion.
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Articles & Publications
Alternatives to Filing an Appeal: Motions for Reconsideration
Institute of Continuing Legal Education (ICLE Georgia)
Determining the Gross Income of a Military Service Member
Speaking Engagements
How to Determine the Gross Income of a Military Service Member
Georgia State Bar Association, Family Law Section
Alternatives to Filing an Appeal: Motions for Reconsideration
Georgia State Bar Association, Family Law Section
Websites & Blogs
Kedra M. Gotel's Website Profile
The Barnette Law Firm, LLC Website
Legal Answers
7 Questions Answered
Q. After you file a answer and counter claim in civil court is there a timeline for when a hearing is supposed to be like
A: It depends. You should consult the court where you filed the response to determine how soon the matter can be heard. Some jurisdictions can get the parties before the presiding judge or judicial officer soon than later. Every venue is different. The Uniform Superior Court Rules provide the following guidance for your question which states:

"The assigned judge has the sole responsibility for setting hearings in all actions assigned to that

judge, for the scheduling of all trials in such actions and for the publication of all necessary

calendars in advance of trial dates. In scheduling actions for trial the assigned judge shall give

consideration to the nature of the action, its complexity and the reasonable time requirements of

the action for trial. It is the intendment of these rules that no matter be allowed to languish, and

the assigned judge is responsible for the orderly movement and disposition of all assigned

matters." (Uniform Superior Court Rule 8.1)
... Read More
Q. Need help with appeal process
A: Your daughter doesn't have an appeal appealable issue. She simply needs to revoke/terminate/end the guardianship in a signed writing. The Division of Family and Children Services did not initiate a petition of protection nor did they seek termination of your daughter's parental rights. According to the facts you've provided, your daughter voluntarily gave her grandmother guardianship of the minor child. Whether the guardianship was given through the courts or through the parties in a signed writing, the guardianship is able to be revoked (taken back). Circumstances change, people change.

I wish you the best!
Q. If an ex fling filed a TPO against me for stalking, should I take one out on her as well?
A: If your ex actually filed a TPO against you then the Sheriff's department would have served you with notice. Unless you have been avoiding service, she may just be pulling your coat tail. Avoiding service for a hearing for a temporary protective order can have adverse affects for you so hopefully you address this soon.

I agree with my colleague, you have no reasonable or articulable basis for seeking a temporary protective order against her. Based upon your own admission, you contacted her an excessive amount of times via email and threatened to come to her place of employment. Your acts may have made her fear for her safety and that such acts would likely occur in the future.

I hope this helps! ... Read More
View More Answers
Contact & Map
The Barnette Law Firm, LLC
Atlanta Office
P.O. Box 92691
Atlanta, GA 30314
Telephone: (470) 485-2995
Monday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Tuesday: 9 AM - 5 PM (Today)
Wednesday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Thursday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Friday: 9 AM - 3 PM
Saturday: Closed
Sunday: Closed