Free Consultation: (831) 275-1002Tap to Call This Lawyer
Julie King

Julie King

Estate Planning | Business Law
  • Business Law, Estate Planning
  • California
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial MediaResponsive Law

With 30+ years’ experience, Julie King practices law with the highest standards of ethics and professionalism. She is easy to speak with and talks in plain English (not legalese). Julie handles a wide variety of estate planning and business matters including: (1) ESTATE PLANNING - wills and trusts, health care directives, powers of attorney, special needs trusts, pet trusts, grant deeds and more; and (2) BUSINESS LAW - corporation/LLC/partnership formation, annual meeting minutes, corporate records, contracts, mergers and acquisitions, and employee training.

Julie served as in-house counsel to major international corporations, including Toshiba America, where she worked for 15 years and hired lawyers throughout the world. She has been a "client", so she understands clients' needs in a way many lawyers do not. Contact Julie today and see the difference!

Call or email today for a FREE initial consultation! (831) 275-1002

Practice Areas
    Business Law
    Business Contracts, Business Dissolution, Business Finance, Business Formation, Business Litigation, Franchising, Mergers & Acquisitions, Partnership & Shareholder Disputes
    Estate Planning
    Health Care Directives, Trusts, Wills
Additional Practice Areas
  • Form Corporations, LLCs and Partnerships
  • Business Transactions & Contracts
  • Trusts, Wills, Powers of Attorney, Health Care Directives
  • Real Estate Grant Deeds and Related Documentation
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    Pierce King, P.C. bills hourly or charges a flat fee, depending on the type of matter. On occasion, Pierce King may enter into an alternative fee arrangement to accommodate clients in special circumstances.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Founding Attorney
Pierce King, P.C., a Professional Law Corporation
- Current
BUSINESS LAW - Negotiating and drafting a variety of complex business contracts, including an international Private Cloud Infrastructure and Management Services Agreement and a Funding Agreement involving the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. - Forming C and S Corporations, LLCs and Partnerships, and drafting documents related thereto, such as Buy-Sell and Operating Agreements, Bylaws, Annual Meeting Minutes and Board Resolutions. ESTATE PLANNING - Drafting a variety of wills and trusts (including Revocable Living Trusts, Special Needs Trusts and Pet Trusts), Health Care Directives and Durable Powers of Attorney, as well as Grant Deeds and other documentation relating to funding trusts. - Counseling clients in Trust Administration matters - Preparing, filing and representing clients in Probate actions
Director, Contracts and Intellectual Property
CTB/McGraw-Hill LLC
Assistant General Counsel
Toshiba America
Julie was an in-house counsel for Toshiba for 15 years and handled a wide variety of matters for the corporation. She helped the Human Resources Dept. with employment matters and policy drafting, the Sales Dept. with contracts, the Finance Dept. with guaranties, and anyone else in the company who needed assistance in any area of law. She would be honored to do the same for you. Call today!
Univ of California at Los Angeles
Undergraduate Degree
Placeholder image for education.
Loyola Law School
Law Degree
Placeholder image for education.
Monterey Herald Reader's Poll
Monterey Herald Reader's Poll
Monterey Herald Reader's Poll
Woman of Distinction in the Legal Community
Los Angeles Bar Association
Volunteer of the Month (Awarded multiple times.)
Monterey Peninsula Chamber of Commerce
Professional Associations
IMPOWER (Business women motivating each other and helping our community)
Member, Board of Directors
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Central Coast Human Resources Association
Member, Board of Directors
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Monterey Peninsula Chamber of Commerce
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Monterey County Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
California State Bar  # 132813
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Monterey County Business Council
Member, Board of Directors
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Orange County Bar Association, Corporate Counsel Section
Co-Chair, Corporate Counsel Section
Activities: Co-Chair, Corporate Counsel Section (multiple years)
Placeholder image for professional associations.
License to Practice Law
California Bar Association
Websites & Blogs
Pierce King Law Website
AVVO - Lawyer Ratings
Legal Answers
180 Questions Answered
Q. As next next of kin, do I have authority to secure property for decedent estranged from her only son, whereabouts???
A: If your cousin had signed a Health Care Directive, that document would say who has the right to make her final arrangements. If you don't know whether she signed a Health Care Directive, the hospital may know and/or the Coroner may allow you to make the call. You can pay for the cremation and seek reimbursement from your cousin's funds when you can access them, or you can tell the Coroner to handle the cremation as an indigent cremation. I don't know in what state your cousin lived and/or if the costs of an indigent cremation would need to be repaid if it turns out your cousin had money to pay for those costs. Please know that no one has an automatic right to take over someone else's assets. A lawyer would need more information to properly advise you about this topic, but I can let you know some general rules that might apply to your situation. If there are personal items you have been asked to retrieve from a hospital or other place, you will likely be able to get those items. But do not get rid of them until you know if you are required to go through the Probate Court before her assets can be distributed. If you are the closest living relative besides her son who was adopted, then you MAY end up inheriting the assets. But a court will likely need to make that determination if there is no trust or will. Finally, if your cousin lived in California and the total value of her assets is less than $166,250, you may be able to use an affidavit to access her assets rather than going through the probate court. But you'd be required to sign under penalty of perjury that her assets did not exceed that amount. As you can tell, there is a lot to do when someone passes away. If you need help, hire a lawyer to assist you.
Q. Father has left his trust to 3 sons. Personal and commercial properties in the trust. Estate lawyer changed the prop
A: First, please know that no one has an automatic right to another person’s assets. If a parent chooses not to give money to one child or another, the parent has that right — just like you have the right to choose to whom you want to give your assets. There is no law forcing anyone to give their assets to anyone else, except the government (for taxes, fines, etc.) Now to your question. It’s hard to tell what is happening in your father’s situation because a lawyer would need to read the trust language and the deeds to the properties to see how the ownership is vested. Normally, when real property (real estate) is placed in a trust, the property is in the name of the trust, not an individual’s name. In other words, the property is either in the trust OR in a person’s name as owner. The only way property can be in both names is if it is owned both by the father (with his half in the trust) and the child (with his half being in the child’s name.) Obviously, if the father owns 3/4 and the child owns 1/4, then the 3/4 would be in the name of the trust. I hope this helps. Again, the only way a lawyer could answer the question specifically is to read your father’s documents. Sorry about that.
Q. Is there a way to claim a house from a trust and then transfer the deed of a house without it showing up on taxes?
A: No. Deeds are public records that anyone can see and receive a copy of simply by asking the County Recorder and paying the copying fee. Many counties have their deeds online for easy access. Also, be aware that there is a “look back period” before someone can qualify for some needs-based government benefits. That means, the government will look at all assets transferred from the person to anyone else in a certain period of time prior to applying for the benefits. So, if someone transferred a home then applied for benefits that have a two year look back period, the government would check what assets that person transferred to others during the two year period before applying for that benefit. I hope this helps!
View More Answers
Contact & Map
Monterey, CA
2100 Garden Road, Suite G
Monterey, CA 93940
Telephone: (831) 275-1002
Fax: (831) 222-3042
Monday: 9 AM - 6 PM
Tuesday: 9 AM - 6 PM
Wednesday: 9 AM - 6 PM
Thursday: 9 AM - 6 PM
Friday: 9 AM - 5 PM (Today)
Saturday: Closed
Sunday: Closed
Notice: Meetings available after hours and on Saturdays by appointment. Meetings are in person (wearing masks, socially distanced, etc.); via Zoom, Skype or FaceTime; or conference call. Contact us today to set an appointment for a FREE initial consultation!
Newport Beach, CA
1621 Santiago Drive
Newport Beach, CA 92660
Telephone: (949) 689-2012
Fax: (949) 258-8465
Notice: Meetings by appointment. Meetings may be in person (using masks and appropriate social distancing); via Zoom, Skype or FaceTime; or a conference call. Contact us today to schedule a FREE initial consultation!