Free Consultation: (213) 677-0856Tap to Call This Lawyer
Joshua KrootElite Business and Litigation Attorney | Adviser to Exceptional Companies
- Business Law, Arbitration & Mediation, Bankruptcy ...
- California, New York
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&AResponsive Law
Business attorney with demonstrated record of success in high-stakes litigation. Adviser to multi-national corporations, growth-focused startups, closely held companies and non-governmental organizations. Skilled in dispute resolution, class actions, insurance, financial and regulatory actions. Experience growing businesses from idea to exit. Founder of and adviser to multiple companies in U.S. and abroad.
- Business Law
- Business Contracts, Business Dissolution, Business Finance, Business Formation, Business Litigation, Franchising, Mergers & Acquisitions, Partnership & Shareholder Disputes
- Arbitration & Mediation
- Business - Arbitration/Mediation, Consumer - Arbitration/Mediation, Family - Arbitration/Mediation
- Chapter 11 Bankruptcy, Chapter 13 Bankruptcy, Chapter 7 Bankruptcy, Debt Relief
- Intellectual Property
- Securities Law
- Insurance Claims
- Bad Faith Insurance, Business Insurance, Disability Insurance, Health Insurance, Life Insurance, Motor Vehicle Insurance, Property Insurance
- Entertainment & Sports Law
- Insurance Defense
- Communications & Internet Law
- Internet Law, Media & Advertising, Telecommunications Law
- Civil Rights
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Discrimination, Employment, Fair Housing, Police Misconduct, Privacy Law
- Construction Law
- Construction Contracts, Construction Defects, Construction Liens, Construction Litigation
Additional Practice Areas
- Commercial Litigation
- Class Action Defense
- Financial Institutions
- Startup Ventures
- Early-stage Startups
- Free Consultation
- Credit Cards Accepted
- Contingent Fees
Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
Most business and contract work can be billed either at a flat rate per project, or hourly. Basic business and contract advice is also available on a subscription basis. Some lawsuits can be taken on contingency, meaning we'll be paid out of any amount you recover, and you won't pay unless you win or get a settlement. Any lawsuit that can't be taken on contingency can be billed at flat rates per project or hourly.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
- State Bar of California
- ID Number: 291371
- New York
- New York State Office of Court Administration
- ID Number: 4867958
- 2nd Circuit
- 9th Circuit
- Bulgarian: Spoken, Written
- English: Spoken, Written
- French: Spoken, Written
- Business and Complex Litigation Attorney
- - Current
- Advise companies and individuals in business ventures, litigation, litigation avoidance and dispute resolution. Extensive track record of successful trials and case resolutions including: - Representation of financial services firm in complex securities fraud class action and series of related arbitrations. Achieved denial of class certification. - Representation of coalition of entertainment companies in several litigations and appeals, successfully challenging various unconstitutional statutes on First Amendment grounds. - Representation of multinational insurer in insurance bad faith litigation alleging failure to pay tens of millions of dollars of defense costs in several pollution liability cases. - Representation of casino holding company in successfully settling challenge to company’s possession of naming rights purchased in bankruptcy proceeding. - Representation of marketing company sued for alleged failure to supervise employees. Achieved a dismissal of all claims.
- Legal Advisor
- Hughes Media Law
- Represented entertainment production company in financing and producing film with approximate budget of $10 million. Negotiated deal terms and drafted contracts for the licensing of music, film footage, and other pieces of intellectual property. Structured and drafted merger between two entertainment companies.
- Legal Advisor
- CHF International
- Participated in discussions and wrote policy papers concerning proposed changes to micro-financing competition laws in Eastern Europe. Participated in negotiations with funding partners including multi-national private banks and the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development. Advised company on legal issues raised by Romania’s accession to European Union.
- Peace Corps Volunteer
- United States Peace Corps
- Supported education and economic development in Bulgaria in preparation for accession to European Union. Incorporated, managed and secured financing for a cooperative of wine producers from Southern Bulgaria. Acquired support from USAID, the Wine Marketing Group and other organizations to create wine production and distribution plans and implement modern cultivation techniques.
- University of Southern California Gould School of Law
- Honors: Carl Mason Franklin Award in International Law, Sonnenschein Scholar, Public Interest Law Foundation Grant Recipient
- Activities: President – Law & International Development Society
- London School of Economics and Political Science
- Dissertation: The Era of Their Discontent: Can the Concept of Remedial Self-Determination Reconcile Group Needs with Westphalian State Sovereignty?
- University of Michigan - Ann Arbor
- B.A. (2002)
- Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program, Michigan Daily Newspaper, Delta Chi
- American Bar Association
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
Websites & Blogs
6 Questions Answered
- Q. I want to check whether my company can hire online coaches and classify them as contractors.
- A: Yes it is probably possible in many states, depending on how the relationship with the coaches is structured, how they are supervised, etc. The details here will be important, otherwise you can run afoul of tax and employment laws quite easily. If structured right, what you've described could certainly be viable.
- Q. hi! I’m interested in purchasing a website w the name lashboss.com but I’m a little worried as I’m new to business
- A: You’ll want to do a trademark search to be sure. You can do this yourself and there are books and resources that provide guidance on how to do so (you don’t want to just search the USPTO database because that won’t cover all potential threats to your trademark, although it’s a good start). If you don’t want to go that route, which will take some time and effort on your part, the most efficient way to do this is to hire an attorney or a trademark search service to perform the search. The attorney can generally file the trademark application for you as well, and advise on other aspects of setting up your business.
- Q. Can i sue if i got a pacemaker that caused anothter serious problem and almost killed me on top of never needing it?
- A: You very well may have a case if the facts are as you describe. You may also be able to work out a contingency fee with an attorney to represent you so that you don’t pay anything to bring the suit unless you win or get a settlement in your favor. It probably bears speaking to an attorney about that possibility and your other options.
Contact & Map