Joshua E. Stern
- Divorce, Domestic Violence, Family Law ...
Joshua E. Stern, Esq. is the managing partner of Stern Perkoski. As a dedicated family law practitioner, his goal is to help families through difficult transitions and act as a source of stability throughout the legal process.
Whether you are preparing to marry or are leaving your marriage behind, Joshua provides the legal expertise you need while lending an empathetic ear and remaining sensitive to the individual needs of each and every one of his clients. Because every matter is unique, Joshua takes the time to listen to what his clients want and outline their options, so they know what to expect as their matter progresses.
Despite his extensive litigation experience, Joshua believes most cases can be settled out of court. A talented negotiator, Joshua knows how to strategize and advocate for his clients’ position without creating unnecessary antagonism.
Joshua started his boutique family law firm, The Law Offices of Joshua E. Stern, in 2013. The firm merged in 2020 with The Law Offices of Nancy Stingle Perkoski to form Stern Perkoski—allowing for expanded divorce and family law services that serve clients across Cook County and the North Shore, as well as Lake and Will Counties.
A respected authority on family law and matrimonial issues, Joshua is a regular contributor to The Huffington Post, Divorce Magazine and Your Tango. His articles have been featured in Since My Divorce, Divorce Force, Support for Stepdads and other well-known platforms.
- Collaborative Law, Contested Divorce, Military Divorce, Property Division, Same Sex Divorce, Spousal Support & Alimony, Uncontested Divorce
- Domestic Violence
- Domestic Violence Restraining Orders, Victims Rights , Victims Rights
- Family Law
- Adoption, Child Custody, Child Support, Father's Rights, Guardianship & Conservatorship, Paternity, Prenups & Marital Agreements, Restraining Orders, Same Sex Family Law
- Estate Planning
- Guardianship & Conservatorship Estate Administration, Health Care Directives, Trusts, Wills
I'm always happy to talk about your case.
Credit Cards Accepted
All major credit cards are accepted.
- Emory University
- J.D. (2010) | Law
- Activities: Student Legal Services; Law School Democrats
- DePaul University
- B.S. (2006) | Economics
- Rising Star
- Super Lawyers
- 22 Best Chicago Divorce Lawyer
- Evanston Chamber of Commerce
- Skokie Chamber of Commerce
- Chicago Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- The Lilac Tree
- Board Member
- - Current
- Activities: Chair of marketing committee
- Stern Perkoski
- Stern Perkoski Blog
- Dividing Restricted Stock Units in Divorce
May 17, 2023
- Joshua E. Stern Speaks to Yahoo Life on State-Mandated Parenting Classes
April 13, 2023
- How Are Pensions Split in Divorce?
March 30, 2023
What Is Discernment Counseling?Parenting Schedules For Divorced Or Separated Parents
Figuring out parenting time can be one of the hardest parts of divorce. I discuss the most common parenting time schedules and provide examples of how they work.What's My Child Support For?
"Why do I pay child support?" It's a common question, often asked out of frustration. Fortunately, there's a clear answer. I talk about the difference between child support and child...Divorce and Unemployment
A spouse's unemployment can create complications during a divorce. I discuss a few different approaches on how to address the issue.Hourly Rates and Retainer Agreements
Some attorney retainer agreements permit the firm to change an attorney's hourly rate at any time during a case. I talk about why that's harmful to the client and what...Why I Hate Flat Fees
I don't charge flat fees because I think they're not in my client's best interests. I go into more detail in the video (and even more detail here: http://jesfamilylaw.com/blog/whats-wrong-with-flat-fees/)