Jon R. Boyd

Jon R. Boyd

Partner, CottenSchmidt, LLP; over 40 yrs experience in contested Family Law
  • Divorce, Family Law, Probate
  • Texas
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ABlawgsearchSocial MediaResponsive Law

Hi, I'm Jon R. Boyd.

If you need a Family Law/Divorce attorney, let my experience, knowledge, loyalty and aggressiveness work for you!

I have practiced Family Law/Divorce for 40 years in all the various courts in the DFW metroplex as well as many other towns and cities across Texas and have been a fierce advocate for fair and equal treatment for Fathers and Men's Rights in divorce and family law matters for the last 25 of those years. After many years of solo practice in Dallas/W. Plano/Addison, I have taken a position as a Partner at CottenSchmidt, LLP, in Ft. Worth. I still accept cases anywhere.

Why you should hire me:

1. RESPONSIVE SERVICE- My team and I provide excellent client service and constant communication. We promptly return calls, answer emails, copy clients on everything and keep clients updated regularly on their case status.
2. REAL EXPERIENCE- I have personally handled well over a thousand high conflict, complex cases to conclusion, most of which were contested and required temporary and final trials, including numerous jury trials. I am happy to go to trial for you.
3. OPTION TO SETTLE- The Courts encourage and often mandate settlement and I encourage it as well. I am a skilled and detailed negotiator, creating leverage before mediation. I will guide you on what you should agree upon and how the agreement should be worded.
4. TEAM SUPPORT: I have the support of a team of associate attorneys and staff to assist on your case.
5. FLEX LOCATIONS: I will also meet with you in Plano or Granbury if you wish.
6. PERSONAL EXPERIENCE: I, too, have personally experienced the struggle of obtaining equal parenting rights and significant access to my own children in a divorce. I can relate and guide you.

Call: 817-338-4500
See me at and

My Consultation Fee is $100 for an hour.

I also give quick 5 min. calls at no charge to give you a fee quote once you tell me a quick overview of your case.

Practice Areas
  • Divorce
  • Family Law
  • Probate
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    We accept all major credit cards; good personal checks; certified funds; cash.
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    My initial consultation fee is $100. for one hour. My usual hourly rate is $400 per hour, adjusted for veterans and on case by case basis. For a Fee Estimate Only without detailed legal advice, I will speak with you for 5-10 min at no charge.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
State Bar of Texas
ID Number: 02773700
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Federal District Court, Northern District of Texas
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Cotten Schmidt, LLP
Head of Family Law Section
Law Office of Jon R. Boyd
Sole Member/Practitioner
Boyd Family Law, PLLC
Over 40 years of practice, I have had partners for some periods of time but have been a Sole Practitioner since 2007.
Boyd and Boyd, LLP
Family Law Practice in Far N. Dallas/Addison/W. Plano
University of Houston - Main Campus
J.D. (1978) | Law Degree
University of Houston - Main Campus Logo
Southern Methodist University
B.B.A. | Real Estate, Tax Law
Southern Methodist University Logo
Professional Associations
Tarrant Co. Bar Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Denton Co. Bar Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
The Family Section of the State Bar of Texas
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Hood County Bar Associaton
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Dallas Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Collin County Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
State Bar of Texas # 02773700
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Speaking Engagements
Legal Answers
93 Questions Answered

Q. What should I do if my unborn son's mother is already threating me with not being able to see my child be born
A: You will need to file a petition in suit affecting parent child relationship. Either to establish parentage thru DNA testing or, if you're able to sign an Acknowledgement of Paternity, that will make you the legal father and then you're past having to prove your're the father and you will deal with the custody, visitation, child support, last name, issues. I'd be happy to help if you'd like. -Jon Boyd
Q. What can I do if my child's other parent has an unsafe home?
A: You can file a Petition to Modify the prior order.
Q. My grandmother passed without a will, but left my mother as the guarantor on her checking. Will it still go to probate?
A: Without a Will, there cannot be a “will probate” but it is probably necessary to do an interstate (Ie, no Will) administration or some other procedure to declare heirship, etc. Depends on what assets she had when she passed. Also depends on whether she contractually passed funds to an heir by bank Acct or life insurance, etc. I suggest your Mother call me or some attorney to see whether legal assistance is needed.
Q. How do I get the money owed for half of my childs medical expenses as court ordered in Texas?
A: File a motion to enforce.
Q. If a father is on supervised visitation, can the mother move to a different state w/o reporting to court
A: It depends on your current court order. Usually, most orders contain a geographical restriction which orders that the custodial parent cannot move the child away. You should immediately call me or consult with an attorney of your choosing. You have options. I am well versed on this issue. Good luck!
Q. Can anyone come and take my son back from me?
A: Yes. The father always has standing to sue. You have also now given his parents standing to sue. Worse, they could argue jurisdiction should be moved to Louisiana, although you may be able to defeat it. Whether they try all this, who knows?
Q. Who has to pay for my court mandated drug test that my soon to be ex husband wanted me to get done?
A: Whoever the Judge ordered to pay it.
Q. My daughter passed away n the father of her child has the baby in an unsafe environment how can I get her with out cps
A: Hire a lawyer and file for custody but beware, harder for grandparents to win custody against parents. Seek legal advice.
Q. My husband and I have just separated, I would like to have primary custody of our daughter. What are the steps for this?
A: Your question is too broad for this forum, but know that her primary custody will be decided based on her ‘best interest.’ What factors are used to determine that? Many, defined by case law. (Interestingly, the Family Code does not define it.) You should consult with a qualified attorney ASAP. I would be glad to consult with you if you like. Simply call my office. Hope this helps. -Jon R Boyd
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
Law Office of Jon R. Boyd
100 Energy Way
Fort Worth, TX 76102
Telephone: (817) 338-4500
Fax: (817) 338-4599