Free Consultation: (484) 451-8718Tap to Call This Lawyer
John Rafferty

John Rafferty

Accomplished Contract Litigator! Skilled Advocacy to Solve Your Legal Dilemma!
  • Business Law, Real Estate Law, Animal & Dog Law
  • Pennsylvania
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

I am a litigator and focus my practice on civil and business litigation matters. If there's a dispute brewing that may involve an agreement (even a handshake or verbal promise) or a contract, I'd love to help you identify a resolution, or if necessary, bring the case to trial before a judge or jury.

My extensive trial experience includes work at the Chester County District Attorney’s office where, as an Assistant District Attorney, I managed multiple cases from investigation through trial, prosecuting serious criminal matters, including homicides and assaults.

My career began in the U.S. Navy, where I served as a naval officer in southeast Asia, southern California and the Middle East. I was awarded the Navy Achievement Medal for meritorious shipboard accomplishments, as well as the Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal for exemplary public service efforts.

I was awarded a full scholarship to Villanova Law School as a Public Interest Scholar, and received the Super Lawyers Pro Bono Award for exhibiting a significant and sustained commitment to public service through my work as a law student.

Practice Areas
    Business Law
    Business Contracts, Business Dissolution, Business Finance, Business Formation, Business Litigation, Franchising, Mergers & Acquisitions, Partnership & Shareholder Disputes
    Real Estate Law
    Commercial Real Estate, Condominiums, Homeowners Association, Land Use & Zoning, Mortgages, Residential Real Estate, Water Law
    Animal & Dog Law
Additional Practice Area
  • Contracts
  • Free Consultation
    If you mention Justia, I will provide you a 30 minute consultation at no charge, before my hourly-rate is billed after that.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    I accept payment via every major credit card.
  • Contingent Fees
    If you have been assaulted, abused or injured, I may be able to take your case on a contingent fee arrangement; meaning my firm is only paid if we win your case.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
  • Spanish: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Gawthrop Greenwood, P.C.
- Current
Assistant District Attorney (Child Abuse Unit)
Chester County District Attorney's Office
Independence Fellow
Justice at Work
Fulbright Research Fellow
Fulbright Fellowship through the U.S. State Department
During a year in Quito, I researched the ways in which the Ecuadorian government was implementing its laws intended to prevent and punish human trafficking; and learned about what innovations were happening to restore survivors.
Villanova University School of Law
J.D. (2012)
Honors: Full Scholarship to Villanova Law due to commitment to Public Interest & Human Rights
Villanova University School of Law Logo
Boston College
B.A. (2005) | Philosophy
Honors: Arts & Science: Honors Program
Boston College Logo
Millennial Superstar
Best Lawyers - Readers Choice Awards
Daily Local News
Rising Star
Super Lawyers
Top Lawyers
Main Line Today
2018 - 2020
Pro Bono Award
Super Lawyers
Excellence in the Provision of Pro Bono Legal Services
Dorothy Day Award
Award for Advancing Equality of Opportunity & Treatment of Women
Professional Associations
La Comunidad Hispana
Board Member and Chair of Risk Management
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Chester County Bar Association
- Current
Activities: Young Lawyers' Division, Mock Trial
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Speaking Engagements
Blockchains and Bitcoin: What Lawyers Can't Afford to Ignore, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Jenkins Law Library
Reviewed blockchain technologies and legal issues surrounding cryptocurrencies, including Bitcoin and Ethereum.
What You Need to Know about the New Pennsylvania Drone Laws, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania Bar Institute
Legal news and updates about how drones and UAVs are regulated under Pennsylvania's new civil and criminal laws.
Websites & Blogs
My website
Legal Answers
6 Questions Answered
Q. What if a power of attorney is needed to make decisions but he can not be reached?
A: You can file a petition in the Orphans' Court Division in the Court of Common Pleas of the County in which your grandfather resides, Petitioning the Court to Remove your brother as POA; for failing to perform the job he was appointed to perform. If your grandfather lacks cognitive capacity to make important decisions, you might also consider filing a Petition for Guardianship, which would enable a new, designated person (the guardian) to work with your grandfather to help him make important decisions and manage his money.
Q. My friend's mom is near death and her sister, brothers and father are not allowing her necessary care and visitation.
A: She might consider filing a petition for guardianship of her mother, alleging that she needs assistance caring for herself and determining who can see her, and her current care-situation is insufficient. An estates attorney should be able to help you prepare and file such a petition.
Q. Is my son responsible for my nursing home payments should I have to be in one? My property is in his name also, \
A: Your could be responsible for your nursing home payments if he signs a personal guarantee, or something similar for the nursing home, promising to make payment if you or your estate assets run out of funds. Alternatively, if you ran up a significant bill that the nursing filed a suit in order to get paid, their judgment would be against you and your assets, but not your son (if he doesn't sign a personal guarantee, or something similar) - so your property (if then titled in both your names) would not likely be subject to the judgment.
View More Answers
Contact & Map
Gawthrop Greenwood, P.C.
17 E Gay St
Suite 100
West Chester, PA 19381
Toll-Free: (484) 451-8718
Telephone: (484) 451-8718
Monday: Open 24 hours
Tuesday: Open 24 hours
Wednesday: Open 24 hours
Thursday: Open 24 hours
Friday: Open 24 hours
Saturday: Open 24 hours
Sunday: Open 24 hours (Today)
Notice: Your legal needs don't revolve around a clock. Neither do I. If you need assistance or a meeting (video or face to face) during evenings or weekends, I'll work around your schedule to assist you.