Free Consultation: (631) 397-0042Tap to Call This Lawyer
John Peter Brooke

John Peter Brooke

Managing Attorney at The Brooke Law Firm
  • Bankruptcy, Foreclosure Defense, Family Law ...
  • New York
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

After working for several Long Island law firms practicing in the areas of bankruptcy, loan modifications, estates, civil litigation and family law, John P. Brooke, Esq. opened his own law office. The Brooke Law Firm serves is a full service law practice dedicated to helping Long Islander's in all the legal challenges that life throws at them. John P. Brooke, Esq. also interned for Senior Federal Judge Leonard Wexler while in law school. John is also currently a Special Assistant Prosecutor for the Village of Ocean Beach on Fire Island.

Practice Areas
Chapter 11 Bankruptcy, Chapter 13 Bankruptcy, Chapter 7 Bankruptcy, Debt Relief
Foreclosure Defense
Family Law
Adoption, Child Custody, Child Support, Father's Rights, Guardianship & Conservatorship, Paternity, Prenups & Marital Agreements, Restraining Orders, Same Sex Family Law
Estate Planning
Guardianship & Conservatorship Estate Administration, Health Care Directives, Trusts, Wills
  • Free Consultation
    I offer free initial consultations for all new clients. My office is flexible when making appointments and can meet with people in the evenings and some Saturdays.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Contingent Fees
    For cases that involve a contingency fee arrangement such as civil litigation the standard one-third contingency fee is used.
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    My fees are generally lower than what many other law firms are charging because I believe in not overcharging hard working Long Islanders when many people are struggling to pay their bills.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
New York
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English
Professional Experience
Special Assistant Village Prosecutor
Village of Ocean Beach
- Current
Managing Attorney
The Brooke Law Firm
- Current
Associate Attorney
Jacoby & Jacoby, Esqs.
Judicial Intern
Senior Judge Leonard Wexler
California Western School of Law
J.D. (2006) | Law
California Western School of Law Logo
Hofstra University
B.B.A. (2003) | Finance and Banking
Honors: 3.9 GPA with Dean's list and Provost's list for every semester in attendance. Member of Beta Gamma Sigma and Golden Key National Honors Societies.
Hofstra University Logo
Professional Associations
Suffolk County Bar Association Pro Bono Foreclosure Project
- Current
Activities: Volunteer in the pro bono lawyer project helping homeowners in foreclosure who can not afford legal representation.
Placeholder image for professional associations.
American Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Suffolk County Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
3 Questions Answered
Q. Hi Im a non-custodial father, my son is 18 years of age I've been out of work for 21 months, can back pay be modified?
A: You can't discharge child support arrears in bankruptcy but can pay them back in a chapter 13. If you are out of work through no fault of your own and have been trying to get a job you may want to file a modification petition in family court. In general, you can't change back payments that are overdue and can only modify payments after the filing of a petition.
Q. in ny state if i give my house to my step member and have life time living do i still own the home
A: I agree with the previous answer that you have a life estate and the remainder interest passes to the step member (?) after you pass. Your life estate has value and you should speak to a lawyer before you transfer real estate out of your name if you are contemplating filing for bankruptcy. If you did that the trustee could sue the family member to try to convert the property back into your name as a fraudulent transfer.
Q. I just filed chapter 7 bankruptcy on 2/14/18. I discovered a bill that I didn't include. Can I add it now?
A: Generally in the Eastern District of NY you shouldn't have to go through the formal process of amending to add the creditor. Usually just sending the creditor a notice of the filing and discharge is sufficient. Most Judge's in the EDNY would consider the debt discharged if your case was a no asset case.
View More Answers
Contact & Map
85 W. Main Street
Suite 201
Bay Shore, NY 11706
Telephone: (631) 397-0042
Fax: (631) 666-0411