Free Consultation: (866) 463-0303Tap to Call This Lawyer
John Mesirow
  • Personal Injury
  • District of Columbia, Maryland, Virginia
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&AGoldBlawgsearchSocial Media

I am an experienced (26 years) personal injury lawyer who is dedicated to the practice of law and to my clients. While most cases resolve before trial, we aggressively prepare all of our cases so that, if a favorable settlement cannot be obtained, we are ready to go on the offensive from the beginning of the litigation process until its conclusion. We handle personal injury and accident cases (automobile, bicycle, pedestrian, slip and fall) in all areas of Maryland, Washington, DC, and Northern Virginia, in both state and federal courts.

As a small firm, we're able to give your case the personal attention it deserves. My team and I will handle your case from start to finish, and -- unlike many Washington, DC personal injury lawyers at large firms -- you'll never be passed off to a law clerk or a paralegal. That personalized attention is one reason why I have been named a top personal injury attorney by Washingtonian Magazine the last 7 times they have reviewed attorneys. Additionally, I was awarded the prestigious 'AV' rating from Martindale-Hubbell -- their highest possible rating for legal ability and ethics. I also have a 10.0/10.0 (superb) rating from, a professional review site for attorneys and doctors. Not that all of this isn't important, but nothing is more important than reviews. Please read my reviews on Google and Avvo.

We're located in downtown Washington, DC, one block from the Metro, and would be happy to to discuss your case. Initial consultations are free. Call us at 866-463-0303.

Practice Area
  • Personal Injury
Additional Practice Areas
  • Car Accidents
  • Premises Liability
  • Free Consultation
    Free Initial Consultation
  • Contingent Fees
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
District of Columbia
District of Columbia Bar
U.S. Supreme Court
United States District Court for the District of Columbia
United States District Court for the District of Maryland
United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
United States District Court for the Western District of Virginia
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Managing Member
Mesirow & Associates, PLLC
- Current
Law Offices of John B. Mesirow
Frank, Berstein, Conaway & Goldman
George Washington University School of Law
J.D., with Honors | Law
Honors: The George Washington Journal of International Law and Economics, Member
Miami University of Ohio
B.S. | Finance
Top personal injury lawyer
Northern Virginia Magazine
Top Washington, D.C. personal injury lawyer
Washingtonian Magazine
Seven consecutive times, including in the most recent edition (December 2017)
"AV" Peer Review Rated Attorney
Professional Associations
District of Columbia Bar
National Crime Victims Bar Association
Association of Trial Lawyers of America
Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington, D.C.
Maryland State Bar Association
Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
Legal Answers
15 Questions Answered

Q. I am in Baltimore County, Md and have a bed bug issue with my apartment complex.
A: If it can be proven that the presence of the bedbugs is due to the landlord's negligence, and that you were injured as a result of this negligence, then you have a claim. I'm not minimizing any injuries you suffered, but I'm direct with both prospective and retained clients. Many personal injury lawyers don't take bed bug cases. (We don't.) You may have to make a few calls to find an attorney to pursue this. I hope things work out for you, and that you are able to resolve this.
Q. Is the statute of limitations to file a lawsuit the same across all states?
A: NO!!! It varies from state to state, and the nature of the claim! Call a lawyer for more information.
Q. I was hit in the District, but live in Virginia -- which laws apply?
A: DC law applies to the accident. If you were injured, you should contact a personal injury lawyer immediately. There are some things that, if not done soon after the accident, may hurt your case. For example, you want to get pictures of any property damage (e.g. car, bicycle) before it is repaired, and any visible injuries (before they heal). It is also important to get witness statements now, while their whereabouts are known, and the memories are fresh. This is not an exhaustive list. Good luck.
Q. Is a cyclist totally at fault if they didn't stop at a stop sign so when I went through I hit him?
A: I am a cyclist, so this "hits" close to home. The law in DC changed a couple years ago. In the "bad" old days, if a cyclist contributed to the accident, he/she could not recover due to a doctrine called contributory negligence. Now, fortunately, the law has changed as set forth below. § 50–2204.52. Contributory negligence limitation. (a) The negligence of a pedestrian, bicyclist, or other non-motorized user of a public highway involved in a collision with a motor vehicle shall not bar the plaintiff's recovery in any civil action unless the plaintiff's negligence is: (1) A proximate cause of the plaintiff's injury; and (2) Greater than the aggregated total amount of negligence of all of the defendants that proximately caused the plaintiff's injury. So, depending on the facts, the cyclist could have a claim. If you have not already done so, you should report this to your insurance carrier. You don't want to blow your coverage.
Q. I was charged in a fight, but got injured myself - can I sue the other person?
A: Yes, but even if you win in court, it is difficult to collect from most individuals for a variety of reasons. Because of this, it will probably be difficult for you to find a personal injury lawyer who would be willing to take your case on a contingency basis. You should call a personal injury to discuss this further.
Q. If I am injured by an employee who ran over my foot with a golf cart on a golf course can I sue the golf course company?
A: Possibly, but you would need to provide A LOT more information to an attorney to get a definitive answer. You should call a personal injury attorney as soon as possible because if certain things are not done in the near term - photographs of injuries/property damage, obtaining witness statements, etc. - it can negatively impact your potential claim.
Q. I broke my tooth upon eating some Turkey Jerky from Boar's Head. What is my recourse? The company has left me hanging.
A: Assuming that you broke your tooth on a piece of bone or something else that should not have been in the Turkey Jerky, you have a claim. Not to minimize what happened, but the problem you may have in finding a lawyer is what appears to be the limited nature of your injury. You should contact a personal injury lawyer in your area to discuss this further.
Q. So if we file a wrongful death claim, does the person go to prison, or is it just money we get?
A: Just money. A wrongful death claim is civil, not criminal.
Q. We are trying to figure out - is wrongful death always a criminal lawsuit?
A: Wrongful death is a civil claim. Contact a personal injury lawyer to discuss the merits of the claim.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
Mesirow & Associates, PLLC
1307 New Hampshire Ave NW
Washington, DC 20036
Toll-Free: (866) 463-0303
Telephone: (202) 463-0303
Fax: (202) 861-8858