Profile Image Placeholder

John Hyland Barrett III

  • Divorce, Family Law, Personal Injury ...
  • Colorado
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&A

John has practiced law in Boulder Colorado since 1975. John has represented individuals and small businesses in a variety of matters, including divorce, family law, civil litigation and real estate. He has been the co-chair of the Boulder County Family Law Committee and served as associate judge of the Louisville Municipal Court.

Practice Areas
    Collaborative Law, Contested Divorce, Military Divorce, Property Division, Same Sex Divorce, Spousal Support & Alimony, Uncontested Divorce
    Family Law
    Adoption, Child Custody, Child Support, Father's Rights, Guardianship & Conservatorship, Paternity, Prenups & Marital Agreements, Restraining Orders, Same Sex Family Law
    Personal Injury
    Animal & Dog Bites, Brain Injury, Car Accidents, Construction Accidents, Motorcycle Accidents, Premises Liability, Truck Accidents, Wrongful Death
    Real Estate Law
    Commercial Real Estate, Condominiums, Easements, Eminent Domain, Homeowners Association, Land Use & Zoning, Mortgages, Neighbor Disputes, Residential Real Estate, Water Law
    Estate Planning
    Guardianship & Conservatorship, Health Care Directives, Trusts, Wills
    Probate Administration, Probate Litigation, Will Contests
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    Visa, Mastercard, American Express,Discover
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
University of California - Davis
J.D. (1974) | Law
University of California - Davis Logo
Professional Associations
Colorado State Bar  # 6315
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Articles & Publications
Colorado Domestic Relations Law:Primer on Collection Law
Continuing Legal Education in Colorado, Inc.
Speaking Engagements
Domestic Relations Collections: Using Judgment Remedies to collect Child Support, Maintenance and other Monetary Awards, Boulder, Colorado
Boulder County Bar Association
A step by step primer on collections in domestic cases. Topics include obtaining the judgment, garnishing wages and bank accounts, filing judgment liens on real estate, and basic asset discovery.
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
540 Questions Answered

Q. My ex-husband and I were separated when we signed a lease. Are we equally responsible for early termination fees?
A: I do not see this as "spousal support". It may depend on the exact wording of your order for support. You should consult with a lawyer about this.
Q. Perhaps I didn't ask the question properly. My niece has a warrant for burglary in New Mexico. She has an 8 yr old girl
A: Colorado has an informal guardianship procedure whereby a parent can delegate parental control over a minor for a 1 year(?) period. This involves signing a simple form. See if NM has a similar procedure.
Q. My niece lives in New Mexico and has a warrant for her arrest for burglary she has an 8-year-old daughter and the dad's
A: No, you have no basis at this time. You could consider bring an case in NM, depending on their laws. However, I doubt there is a basis. Perhaps the mother will consent to her daughter being with you.
View More Answers
Contact & Map
suite 206
Telephone: (303) 928-2300