Free Consultation: (207) 210-6559Tap to Call This Lawyer
Joe Lewis

Joe Lewis

Port City Legal, LLC
  • Appeals & Appellate, Divorce, Estate Planning ...
  • Maine
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

I graduated with honors from The University of Maine School of Law. My practice focuses primarily on three areas: Family Law, Estate Planning, and Appeals. I set up Port City Legal with the idea that a small law firm effectively serving the regular legal needs of regular people with intelligence ~and~ compassion could do very nicely here in Portland, ME. Six years later, the idea has proved true. Along the way, I have enjoyed many successes both in and out of the courtroom. My client reviews have been excellent. I've won five of the seven appeals I've handled before the Maine Supreme Judicial Court. Most importantly, I've repaid the faith my clients have placed in me with solid results. I hope you'll consider contacting me when you need help with a family matter or estate planning.

Practice Areas
  • Appeals & Appellate
  • Divorce
  • Estate Planning
  • Family Law
  • Probate
  • Free Consultation
    In-person or on the phone, up to 30 minutes or so.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    I accept Visa, MC, and Amex
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    Current billing rate is $300 per hour, and a retainer is required.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Professional Experience
Port City Legal, LLC
- Current
University of Maine - School of Law
Honors: Cum Laude
Activities: Class Graduation Speaker
Placeholder image for education.
Fordham University
B.A. | History, Political Science
Fordham University Logo
Professional Associations
Maine State Bar Association
- Current
Activities: Board of Directors, New Lawyers Section
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
13 Questions Answered

Q. I have a question about adoption, specifically about how it is portrayed in TV shows.
A: Hi there. Maine law only makes provisions for adopting a son or a daughter. So those other terms, while lovely and embracing, have no legal meaning. Cheers! - Joe
Q. My dog bit my wife when I had my children and the Mom is refusing my visitation because of it. What can I do?
A: As always, if you have court-ordered rights to visitation and your co-parent is getting in the way of that happening, you can simply take her back to court on a motion to enforce or a motion for contempt. If this is a persistent thing, or part of a larger co-parenting problem, you may wish to consider getting a new order by way of a motion to modify. That said, it sounds like your children's mom is pretty freaked out by an incident that directly involves your children's environment. I think working with her and your current wife to develop a plan to not let the kids be in danger of a dog bite makes sense. This is a learning moment for all involved, eh? Even the puppy! Best of luck. - Joe
Q. What should you do when you know that your ex has lied/omitted financial information on a child support affidavit ?
A: Hi there. The only financial information on the child support affidavit that always matters is gross income. The definition of gross income is a hotly litigated issue in a lot of child support cases. The relevant statute can be found here: (subsection 5) Other financial information can also come into play in a child support case because Maine law allows for a deviation from guideline child support based on the financial circumstances of the parties generally. So, if one party has a lot of money in the bank, or has valuable property and so forth, that information can influence the amount of support ordered. The problem that I am guessing you are facing is that your ex doesn't have to agree to any of this. If he doesn't agree, then you have one of two options: You can suck it up and just deal with what he is willing to give you, or you can take him to court. If you go to court, you (or your lawyer) can press him on financial information through a process called Discovery. Based on your question, it sounds quite possible that a judge will order him to pay more than he is otherwise willing to pay by agreement. You should absolutely contact a lawyer and see how much better you can do if you assert your rights. There is no reason to just "take it" when your children's father wants to stiff you for child support. Best of luck to you. - Joe
View More Answers
Contact & Map
Port City Legal
10 Moulton Street
4th Floor
Portland, ME 04101
Telephone: (207) 210-6559