Profile Image Placeholder

Jennifer Doerrie

Law Offices of Jennifer Doerrie
  • Immigration Law
  • Texas
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&A

Ms. Doerrie has practiced immigration law exclusively since 1998. She is experienced in all areas of U.S. immigration and nationality law practice, including derivative citizenship and naturalization, immigrant residency (green card) petitions through family and employment sponsorship, non-immigrant visas (F students, E, H-1B, J, O, L and TN employees/investors, B visitors, K fiance(e)s, R religious workers, and T and U trafficking and crime victims), consular processing, waivers, petitions under the Violence Against Women Act, asylum, NACARA, and refugee adjustment. Ms. Doerrie also has extensive experience in immigration litigation before the U.S. Immigration Courts and U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, including deferred action cases (now applicable to DREAMers).

A passionate advocate for the immigrant community, Ms. Doerrie often conducts workshops and law clinics and frequently speaks at immigration conferences and trainings. On three different occasions, Ms. Doerrie traveled to Warsaw Poland as a featured speaker at PWSBIA international migration conferences.

Should you desire more information about Ms. Doerrie and her immigration and nationality law practice, please contact her office by telephone or e-mail.

Practice Area
  • Immigration Law
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
9th Circuit
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
  • Spanish: Spoken, Written
  • Swedish: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Managing Attorney
Law Offices of Jennifer Doerrie
- Current
After 13 years of employment with non-profit organizations and other attorneys, Ms. Doerrie opened her own office. Ms. Doerrie's practice consists of 100% U.S. immigration and nationality law.
Immigration Legal Services Advisor
West Coast Mennonite Central Committee
Associate Attorney
Law Offices in Fresno/Clovis, California
Staff Attorney
Catholic Charities - Atlanta, Georgia
Law Clerk/Associate Attorney
Law Offices of Gloria Lee Vera
University of Texas - Austin
J.D. | Law
University of Texas - Austin Logo
Texas State University - Texas State University-San Marcos
B.A. | Political Science & Spanish
Texas State University - Texas State University-San Marcos Logo
Professional Associations
American Immigration Lawyer's Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
State Bar of Texas
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Articles & Publications
Antitrafficking Initiatives as a Means of Combating Unauthorized Migration
First Independent University - Warsaw, Poland - 5th International Migration Conference Journal
Is Criminalization of Migration a Sound Legal Stragegy?
First Independent University, Warsaw, Poland, 4th International Migration Conference Journal
Rethinking Immigration Policies ...
First Independent University, Warsaw, Poland, 3rd International Migration Conference Journal
Credibility and Corroboration after Diallo
Catholic Legal Immigration Network
Inadmissibility and Removability Bars and Waivers
State Bar of Georgia Continuing Legal Education
Legal Answers
6 Questions Answered

Q. Mom and i have a deportation order 19 yrs ago. Dad is abusive and we have no criminal record what can we do?
A: Hello, Was the abuse ever reported to the police or other law enforcement? I strongly encourage you and your mother to consult with a licensed, experienced immigration attorney (and not an unlicensed notary or consultant) about your situations. There is not enough information here to determine whether you possibly may qualify for a U visa or VAWA, and even if there were, that is a legal determination that needs to be made only after a private, detailed consultation. If the cost of even a consultation with a private attorney is a concern, there is a list of attorneys and organizations that offer pro bono or reduced fee services to those who meet the attorney/organization's eligilibty requirements at Best wishes, Jennifer
Q. How many years do you have to be in the U.S to be a resident?
A: Hello, There is a lot of misleading and outright false information circulating about immigration based on length of time in the United States. Although it is possible to immigrate based on residency time if there are no other inadmissibilty bars or eligibilty concerns, a person doing so must demonstrate that he/she has been residing continuously in the U.S. since January 1, 1972 or prior! That process is called registry. You may have heard about "10 years", but that is only one of three significant requirements for an Immigration Court process called cancellation of removal. There is no way to file for cancellation of removal affirmatively with the Immigration Service. It is only a defense to removal (deportation) proceedings in U.S. Immigration Court. Additionally, some people actually enter the U.S. as permanent residents or get their residency (green card) very soon after arriivng in this country. Thus, it is not the length of time that determines residency, but a long list of other factors and requirements.
Q. Canadian applying for business visa what is process. How do you apply
A: Hello, The answer to this question actually is very fact-specific and would depend on the kind of visa, the position, the applicant's experience, and many other factors. It would be best for you to consult with a licensed, experienced business immigration lawyer about your specific facts and circumstances if at all possible. Also, you may wish to do some on-line research into U.S. business visas. One place you could start is the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services own web site, under the resources tab. I believe there are resources for working in the U.S./employment visas there. Best wishes, Jennifer
Q. Hello if i want to apply for the form of i-589 what is the meaning of withholding of removal? thanks
A: Hello, Withholding of removal is for people in U.S. Immigration Court proceedings who do not qualify for asylum for various reasons, but who can still prove that they are at risk of persecution if they are sent back to their home country. As you likely have noticed, there are many complex questions on the I-589 form (and most immigration applications), and the wrong answers can result in denial and even deportation. Therefore, I strongly encourage you to seek the advice of a licensed immigration attorney experienced in asylum cases before submitting your application if at all possible. (Even if you already filed, you sometimes can make amendments at the interview or first court hearing, so it is still important to get professional advice.) If there is some reason that you cannot afford even the cost of a consultation with a private attorney, a list of attorneys and organizations who sometimes take cases at reduced rates or pro bono is available at Best wishes, Jennifer
Q. My husb is an illgal frm FR; in ICE cstdy; in remvl prcdngs; I-130 filed. Can prcdngs be stopped and he be releasd? How?
A: Hello, Trying to terminate proceedings or obtain lawful permanent residency or other relief from removal in court proceedings is a complex process involving a number of issues and factors too detailed to discuss in an on-line forum. For example, factors that would be relevant include (among many others) the length of time your husband has been in the U.S., how he entered, whether he ever left and returned to the U.S. after the original entry and when/how he left and returned, any prior deportation/removal history, any prior criminal history, etc. etc. etc. For these reasons and because of the considerable impact to both of your lives if he is removed (deported), I would encourage you to seek the counsel of a licensed, experienced immigration attorney if at all possible. Although consulting with an attorney does not obligate you to hire him/her, if you qualify for assistance from certain organizations, they may be willing to offer a consultation and/or representation at a reduced fee or pro bono. A list is available at Also, many of us immigration attorneys will make arrangements for telephone or Skype consultation if needed. Do be careful of unlicensed notaries and consultants who are not qualified to represent anyone in court proceedings and who, unfortunately, do not always operate either legally or ethically. Best wishes, Jennifer
Q. A letter from INS arrived today cancelling my brother's Dec 7 deportation hearing. What could be the reasons? None given
A: Hello, There are a number of reasons a hearing may be cancelled and rescheduled. Sometimes, the court has a conflict with another case or the judge's schedule. If an interpreter is needed, it may be that an interpreter for the correct language is not available. As well, cases may be moved because older cases (pending longer with the court) or detained cases (on a different time frame) have come in and need to be scheduled in place of cases that have not been pending as long. Usually, when a hearing is canceled, there is a new notice sent out soon with a new hearing date. Sometimes, the new hearing notice is even sent out at the same time. You and your brother may wish to speak to a licensed, experienced immigration attorney to find out more about what to expect in court. Attorneys also are able to find out about reasons for rescheduling sometimes. As well, it is always best to be represented in court proceedings if at all possible. If cost of hiring a private attorney is a concern, your brother *might* qualify for reduced fee or pro bono representation. A list of organizations and attorneys offering such representation is available at Best wishes, Jennifer
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
1690 West Shaw Avenue, Suite 106
Fresno, CA 93711
Telephone: (559) 472-9591