Free Consultation: (608) 218-4030Tap to Call This Lawyer
Jason Anthony Greller

Jason Anthony Greller

Attorney Jason A Greller - Real Estate Lawyer, SC
  • Real Estate Law, Landlord Tenant
  • Wisconsin
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial MediaResponsive Law


Originally trained as a litigator, Jason knows that the best way to avoid problems is to start with a well thought out and carefully crafted document. Jason's clients benefit from his 23+ years of practice, his comprehensive knowledge of real estate law and his experience assisting clients in thousands of transactions.

Jason is a frequent lecturer on the topic of residential real estate transactions and is recognized by both the local and national media as an innovative leader in Wisconsin real estate law. As a member of the Wisconsin Realtor Association Real Estate Forms Committee, Jason lends his expertise to the WRA regarding the use and modification of Wisconsin State approved forms used in real estate transactions throughout Wisconsin.

Born and raised in New York City, Jason came to Wisconsin to attend the UW Law School. Along the way he fell in love with the Madison area and married the love of his life. In his free time, Jason may be found spending time with his family, playing tennis, sailing on Lake Mendota or searching for a lost golf ball. He lives in the Town of Middleton with his wife and two children.

Practice Areas
  • Real Estate Law
  • Landlord Tenant
  • Free Consultation
    Call us for a free consulation.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express, Apple Pay
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    Reasonable flat fees for buying or selling residential real estate. Flat fees for Quitclaim Deeds.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
7th Circuit
  • French: Written
  • Spanish: Written
Professional Experience
Attorney Jason A Greller - Real Estate Lawyer, SC
Knoll & Greller, SC
Wisconsin Department of Justice - Public Intervenor
Madison City Attorney's Office
University of Wisconsin Law School
J.D. | Real Property Law
Honors: Honors Level GPA
Trinity College
B.A. (1987) | International Studies
Client's Choice Award
New York Regent's Scholar
New York State
Professional Associations
Wisconsin State Bar # 1025044
Wisconsin Realtor's Association - Real Estate Forms Advisory Committee
Wisconsin Realtor's Association
Legal Section Member
- Current
Speaking Engagements
Practical Considerations in Residential Real Estate Transactions in Wisconsin, Madison, WI
Lorman Education Services
Avoiding Residential Real Estate Pitfalls, Annual State Bar Symposium, Wisconsin Dells, WI
State Bar of Wisconsin
Websites & Blogs
Attorney Jason A Greller - Real Estate Lawyer, SC
Wisconsin Quitclaim Deeds & TOD Deeds
Legal Answers
41 Questions Answered

Q. Can a WI Realtor force a seller to purchase title ins for new owner? Why can’t new owner purchase their own title ins?
A: Your obligation to provide title insurance to the Buyer comes from a standard provision in the Offer to Purchase requiring Seller to provide evidence of title to the Buyer in the form of a title insurance policy. If you were working with a listing agent I agree that it seems reasonable to expect the agent to provide you with a settlement/closing cost estimate when you are reviewing offers. If the agent was working only for the Buyer, then the agent still has a duty to fairly provide services to you but I would not agree that the Buyer's agent has a duty to detail closing costs. In regard to the title company - generally, most title companies will provide estimates of seller closing costs upon inquiry. I'm not sure why your specific questions were not answered.
Q. Can I make the village replace my driveway from years of their snowplows turning around on it.
A: You may be able to seek a remedy if you are able to prove that the damage was caused almost entirely from the plows and no other use or condition. That seems like a pretty high burden of proof.
Q. A family member living as a guest proclaimed she was going to stay a until invicted.
A: Sounds like the family member was a tenant at will - which is a tenancy that may be created by a party in possession of the property even if they don't pay rent. But it also sounds like the tenant terminated the tenancy when she moved out the property, turned in the keys and surrendered possession of the property. Given your concerns, it makes sense to change the locks.
Q. My landlord passed on the 3rd and her daughter want the house told us we have thirty days to move out I need advice
A: If you have a written lease for a term you may certainly stay through the term of the lease. If you are on a month to month lease, then the landlord may terminate the tenancy with 28 days of notice before the start of the next rental period. So if your month to month tenancy starts on the first of each month, and the landlord notifies you on the 6th of July, then there is less than 28 days before the start of the next rental period - August 1. In that case, you would then have the right to stay in the property through August. On the other hand, if the landlord notified you on July 2nd, then the lease would terminate at the end of July.
Q. My landlord wants to charge me late fee plus $5 a day for everyday it's passed the 5th. Is the $5 a day legal?
A: A landlord can only charge a late fee if it is specifically authorized in the rental agreement. There is no statute, regulation or Wisconsin case that addresses the maximum amount that can be charged for a late fee. Some courts disfavor the use of a daily late fee and have found them to be unreasonable.
Q. Home listing -The owner is deceased and the agent says the “kids told him they have right to sell” How do we verify.
A: Eventually the title company will insure that the sellers have the right to sell. In the interim, you could ask if they have an order from the probate court making one of the children the personal representative of the estate.
Q. My landlord claims it is not her responsibility to ensure the apartment can maintain a comfortable living temperature.
A: Yes. A landlord on a residential lease in Wisconsin has a duty to ensure that the premises has adequate heating. If the system needs to be repaired it is also the landlord's duty maintain and repair the system. See: 704.07  Repairs; untenantability. (1)  Application of section. This section applies to any nonresidential tenancy if there is no contrary provision in writing signed by both parties and to all residential tenancies. An agreement to waive the requirements of this section in a residential tenancy, including an agreement in a rental agreement, is void. Nothing in this section is intended to affect rights and duties arising under other provisions of the statutes. (2)  Duty of landlord. (a) Except for repairs made necessary by the negligence of, or improper use of the premises by, the tenant, the landlord has a duty to do all of the following: 1. Keep in a reasonable state of repair portions of the premises over which the landlord maintains control. 2. Keep in a reasonable state of repair all equipment under the landlord's control necessary to supply services that the landlord has expressly or impliedly agreed to furnish to the tenant, such as heat, water, elevator, or air conditioning. 3. Make all necessary structural repairs. 4. Except for residential premises subject to a local housing code, and except as provided in sub. (3) (b), repair or replace any plumbing, electrical wiring, machinery, or equipment furnished with the premises and no longer in reasonable working condition. 5. For a residential tenancy, comply with any local housing code applicable to the premises.
Q. I have an easement driveway to my property, who is responsible for trimming tree branches?
A: Generally, easements indicate responsibility for maintaining the road. Arguably, tree trimming should be a part of maintaining the road an access. Check the easement language to see how maintenance responsibilities are handled.
Q. If a city gets a judgement on a Raise or Repair order,is it legal if they did not include the lein holder?
A: Generally, a municipality does not have to name a lien holder of a property when seeking a judgement relating to delinquencies unless they are seeking a foreclosure based on a failure to pay real estate taxes.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
Attorney Jason A Greller - Real Estate Lawyer, SC
21 N Butler Street
Suite 101
Madison, WI 53703
Telephone: (608) 218-4030
Fax: (888) 716-3377