Portsmouth, New Hampshire criminal defense attorney James Reis started out at the New Hampshire Public Defender in 2000. Throughout the years, Jim has steadfastly protected the rights of nearly four thousand clients. He has represented clients charged with offenses ranging from traffic infractions and DWIs to sexual assaults and murder. Jim recognizes that being charged with a crime can be terrifying and that the criminal justice “process” is daunting to clients who find themselves in the gunsights of the government. Jim excels at uncovering defenses, researching novel issues, and pursuing effective avenues of litigation.
Jim is masterful in the courtroom, whether it be in front of a jury, judge, or appellate court. When negotiation is called for, he will advocate for the best possible result, always with a client-centered focus. Jim will be candid with you from the outset, he knows what is needed to win, and he is a tenacious advocate.
As the first-ever litigation specialist at the New Hampshire Public Defender, Jim was responsible for coordinating and developing litigation strategies amongst the roughly 125 public defenders in the State. For more than a decade now, Jim has left his imprint on the next generation of criminal practitioners, teaching lawyers of all levels at the New Hampshire Public Defender as well as through the New Hampshire Bar Association.
Jim holds a Bachelor of Science degree from the University of Delaware and he received his Juris Doctor, cum laude, from the University of Richmond in Richmond, Virginia.
- Criminal Law
- Appeals & Appellate
- DUI & DWI
- Personal Injury
- Juvenile Law
- New Hampshire
- New Hampshire Bar Association
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Trial attorney; appellate attorney
- New Hampshire Public Defender
- University of Richmond School of Law
- J.D. (1999)
- Honors: Graduated cum laude
- University of Delaware
- B.S. (1992) | Criminal Justice
- New Hampshire Bar Association # 14236
- New Hampshire Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- N.H. Public Defender New Lawyer Training
- Taught Sentencing Advocacy to attorneys in the N.H. Public Defenders Office from 2007 through 2019.
- New Hampshire Practical Skills Course
- Have taught the Criminal Law seminar for the New Hampshire Bar Association for over 10 years.