Jim Jacobsen is a partner at Stacey and Jacobsen, PLLC in Seattle, Washington. As a Washington native, it was his work in the maritime trades that sparked his interest in maritime law. Jim worked as a merchant seaman and Alaska fisherman from 1979 to 1984. He has worked as a deckhand and mate in the Gulf of Alaska, Bering Sea, and Puget Sound. He is licensed by the U.S. Coast Guard. Jim is a former member of the Inland-boatmen's Union of the Pacific as well as the Alaska Fishermen's Union.
Jim graduated from the University of Oregon School of Law in 1986. He served as law clerk to the Hon. Robert C. Belloni, U.S. District Court Judge, D. Oregon and was an Admiralty Trial Attorney for the U.S. Department of Justice in Washington D.C. He has been in private practice since 1992 representing injured maritime workers. Mr. Jacobsen is licensed to practice law in Washington, Oregon, and Alaska.
In My Own Words
"I became a maritime lawyer because I wanted to do something every day of my life to help people; hardworking men and women, who had suffered harm or been injured at sea. I wanted to make the maritime industry safer for workers and hold employers and vessel owners accountable for unsafe conditions. I wanted to help my nieces and nephews, my siblings, my friends, and my daughter, all who have worked in the maritime trades.
I believe in taking care of my clients. It’s about getting to know them, learning how an injury or accident has impacted their lives, understanding their cases, and making sure that they get the very best outcome possible. I am very proud of the work I do and my track record of success. I believe it is my personal commitment to each case and my firsthand knowledge of work at sea that has allowed me to achieve such results."
- Maritime Law
- Personal Injury
- Insurance Claims
- Free Consultation
- Contingent Fees
- English: Spoken, Written
- Stacey & Jacobsen, PLLC
- University of Oregon School of Law
- Honors: Order of the Coif
- Washington State Bar # 16331
- Oregon State Bar
- Alaska State Bar
- Jim Jacobsen's Website Profile
- Stacey & Jacobsen Website
- Maritime Injury Law Blog
- Muffin Monster Grinders, Guards, and Worker Safety
5 November 2019
- Modified Vessels Require New Stability Reports
29 October 2019
- Marking and Identifying Fishing Vessels
22 October 2019
- October is National Seafood Month
1 October 2019
- Two Rescued After F/V Fearless II Drifts into Rocks
24 September 2019
- 7 Rescued in Fishing Vessel Fire
24 September 2019
- Capsized M/V Golden Ray Crew Rescued
10 September 2019
- 25 Victims Found, 9 People Missing After Diving Vessel Fire
2 September 2019
- How Much Does a Commercial Fisherman Really Make?
13 August 2019