James J. (“Jay”) Varellas, III, has joined Varellas & Varellas, of counsel, after practicing as an attorney at law firms in New York City and San Francisco. Jay has spent much of his legal career litigating large-scale class actions and other complex litigation disputes around the country. While an attorney practicing in New York, he was part of the trial team that tried a multi-billion-dollar class action to a jury verdict in a four-month trial in federal court. He also has trial experience involving claims of bad-faith denial of insurance claims. Over his career, Jay has litigated numerous class actions and other large-scale complex litigation disputes around the country and he has appellate experience before a number of appellate courts, including the U.S. Supreme Court. He has also provided advice regarding mergers and acquisitions, advised major law firms on ethics and conflict-of-interest issues and represented non-profits in a variety of contexts.
Prior to joining Varellas & Varellas, Jay was an attorney at Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP in New York and Fenwick & West LLP in San Francisco. Immediately after graduating from law school, Jay completed a federal clerkship with Chief Judge Jennifer B. Coffman of the Eastern and Western District Districts of Kentucky. Jay is a graduate of the University of California, Berkeley, School of Law (Boalt Hall).
Prior to receiving his law degree at Berkeley, Jay completed a master’s degree at the University of Sussex as a Fulbright Scholar in the United Kingdom, and he received his undergraduate degree from the University of Kentucky. While at the University of Kentucky, he was selected as a Truman Scholar and a Gaines Fellow. After graduating from UK, Jay also worked as a policy analyst for the U.S. Department of Transportation and as a research fellow in the U.S. Senate.
Jay is dedicated to fighting for the rights of individuals who have been injured or wronged by other individuals or corporations.
- Nursing Home Abuse
- Medical Malpractice
- Personal Injury
- Products Liability
- Insurance Claims
- Dog Bites & Animal Attacks
- Trucking Accidents
- Free Consultation
Free consultation for all injury cases.
- Contingent Fees
Injury cases handled on a contingency fee basis.
- New York
- 6th Circuit
- 9th Circuit
- U.S. District Courts, Central and Northern Districts of California
- U.S. District Courts, Eastern and Southern Districts of New York
- Of Counsel
- Varellas & Varellas
- University of California, Berkeley School of Law
- University of Sussex
- University of Kentucky
- Kentucky Bar Association
- The State Bar of California
- New York State Bar Association
- British Fulbright Scholars Association
- Truman Scholars Association
- James J. (“Jay”) Varellas' Website Profile
- Varellas & Varellas Website
- Kentucky Injury Lawyers Blog
- Nursing Home Neglect and Abuse in Kentucky
30 October 2018
- Kentucky Nursing Home Residents’ Rights
19 June 2018
- Recovery of Homeowner’s Policy Limits in Personal Injury and Wrongful Death Case
20 February 2017
- Varellas & Varellas Receives Another Favorable Fayette County Jury Verdict for Its Client
6 February 2017
- Premises Liability Settlement Due to Dangerous Conditions on Government Property
13 April 2016
- Fayette County Jury Awards $2.402 Million Verdict in Case Tried by Varellas & Varellas
18 March 2016
- Four People Die in Bourbon County Highway Crash
20 March 2015
- What should I do after I’m injured in an accident in Kentucky?
3 March 2015
- Tracy Morgan Sues Walmart after Tractor-Trailer Deadly Collision
22 July 2014