Free Consultation: (408) 985-9918Tap to Call This Lawyer
James Edward Berge

James Edward Berge

Berge & Berge LLP
  • Elder Law, Estate Planning
  • California
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media
Practice Areas
    Elder Law
    Estate Planning
    Guardianship & Conservatorship Estate Administration, Health Care Directives, Trusts, Wills
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Professional Experience
Estate Planning Attorney
Berge & Berge LLP
- Current
Golden Gate University School of Law
LL.M. | Taxation
Honors: Cum Laude
Placeholder image for education.
Santa Clara University School of Law
J.D. (1986)
Honors: Cum Laude
Santa Clara University School of Law Logo
Santa Clara University
B.S. (1981) | Accounting
Honors: Magna Cum Laude Alpha Sigma Nu
Placeholder image for education.
Elijah Watt Sells Award
American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
Top 100 Score in the Nation on May 1981 Uniform CPA Exam
Professional Associations
California State Bar  # 126568
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Articles & Publications
Special Needs Trusts: Planning, Drafting and Administration
University of California Continuing Education of the Bar
Estate Planning, Trust & Probate Law
California State Bar Board of Legal Specialization
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
220 Questions Answered
Q. Transfer of real property, intestate estate. 2 of the 6 heirs hope to take over the property, all heirs agree. What now?
A: I agree with Gina. It sounds like you will need to file a petition for probate and ask for the appointment of an estate administrator before you try to refinance the property, and the six of you should be able to agree on whatever you want provided it’s in writing and your settlement agreement is approved by the court. A qualified disclaimer might be an option, and an assignment of beneficial interest Is another option. If you want to pass along dad’s low tax base for property tax purposes, you should seek the advice of a probate attorney. There’s a right way to do it and a wrong way, and the difference could be in the tens of thousands of dollars. Give me a call and perhaps I can help. 408-985-9918
Q. Dad died Wed. and my sister (100% beneficiary) wants to petition LA court to add me to Living Trust. How do we do this?
A: I agree with John. Court may not be be necessary. Talk to an estate planning lawyer about the possibility of a qualified disclaimer, or consider a straight gift from your sister after she collects the money from the trust, or perhaps a simple assignment by her of a half share of the trust out of her share of the trust. Good luck!
Q. I live in my dad's CA rental, when he passes this property to me, will it be reassessed as it is not his primary home?
A: Unfortunately, yes. To claim a parent to child reassessment exemption under Prop 19, both the parent and child must occupy the property as their principal residence.
View More Answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
1101 S Winchester Blvd Ste I-208
San Jose, CA 95128
Telephone: (408) 985-9918
Fax: (408) 985-9945