Free Consultation: (855) 478-7620Tap to Call This Lawyer
James A. Teigland

James A. Teigland

Fremstad Law
  • Collections, Construction Law, Business Law ...
  • Minnesota, North Dakota
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Attorney James Teigland is a Moorhead native who graduated from Park Christian High School of Moorhead in 2006 and attended Minnesota State University Moorhead where he studied Economics until he graduated in 2010. Mr. Teigland attended William Mitchell College of Law from 2010-2013, and is licensed to practice in Minnesota and North Dakota. While attending law school, Mr. Teigland volunteered as a Law Clerk at the Council on Crime and Justice, clerked for Judge John P. Smith, Externed at Merrill Corporation, and was a Legal Assistant at the Sortland Law Office. After law school Mr. Teigland started his own firm, Teigland Law Office, PLLC, before merging with the Fremstad Law Firm. Mr. Teigland is currently an Attorney at the Fremstad Law Firm where he practice primarily in the areas of collections, partnership disputes, business disputes, commercial disputes, personal injury, real estate disputes and other civil matters.

Practice Areas
Construction Law
Construction Contracts, Construction Defects, Construction Liens, Construction Litigation
Business Law
Business Contracts, Business Dissolution, Business Finance, Business Formation, Business Litigation, Franchising, Mergers & Acquisitions, Partnership & Shareholder Disputes
Real Estate Law
Commercial Real Estate, Condominiums, Easements, Eminent Domain, Homeowners Association, Land Use & Zoning, Mortgages, Neighbor Disputes, Residential Real Estate, Water Law
Landlord Tenant
Evictions, Landlord Rights
Criminal Law
Criminal Appeals, Drug Crimes, Expungement, Fraud, Gun Crimes, Internet Crimes, Sex Crimes, Theft, Violent Crimes
Insurance Claims
Bad Faith Insurance, Business Insurance, Disability Insurance, Health Insurance, Life Insurance, Motor Vehicle Insurance, Property Insurance
Personal Injury
Animal & Dog Bites, Brain Injury, Car Accidents, Construction Accidents, Motorcycle Accidents, Premises Liability, Truck Accidents, Wrongful Death
Products Liability
Drugs & Medical Devices, Motor Vehicle Defects, Toxic Torts
Employment Law
Employee Benefits, Employment Contracts, Employment Discrimination, ERISA, Overtime & Unpaid Wages, Sexual Harassment, Whistleblower, Wrongful Termination
Legal Malpractice
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Contingent Fees
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
North Dakota
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Legal Assistant
Sortland Law Office, PLLC
William Mitchell College of Law
William Mitchell College of Law Logo
Great Plains Rising Star
Super Lawyers
Professional Associations
State Bar of North Dakota
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Articles & Publications
Contract for Deeds
Fremstad Law Blog
Lawsuits. How are they started?
Fremstad Law Blog
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
3 Questions Answered
Q. I bought a cabin in 2010 After close I put my mate on the title. I paid it off 2016. She paid $0. Is she entitled to
A: Hello,

I see you are from California but asked a question in MN's Civil Litigation section. I'm assuming the property you are asking about is located in MN. Generally speaking, 50/50 owners split the sale proceeds of a property 50/50, but the rule is not absolute. Courts should, and frequently do, look at it on a case by case basis. You probably have very good arguments that the majority of the sale proceeds should be paid to you. But this will probably have to be resolved by an agreement between you and your ex or through litigation in Court.
Q. I bought five tractors have a copy of a check and a bill of sale , Tractors were gone when went to pickup.
A: You have a couple of options. First, you should consult with an attorney. Many attorneys offer free initial consultations. But if you don't want to do that, consider sending a demand letter for the tractors and/or return of your money. If that does not work, sue in small claims court (if possible). If you cannot sue in small claims court, hire an attorney. Good luck!
Q. I filed a restraining order with the false information the respondent gave under perjury? How to rectify this?
A: I would prepare an "Amended Petition" with the correct name and just file it in the same case and serve the document by U.S. Mail.
View More Answers
Contact & Map
Fremstad Law Firm - Fargo
3003 32nd Ave S, Suite 240
Fargo, ND 58103
Toll-Free: (855) 478-7620
Telephone: (701) 478-7620
Fax: (701) 478-7621
Fremstad Law Firm - Valley City
200 Central Ave N
Valley City, ND 58072
Toll-Free: (855) 478-7620
Telephone: (701) 845-6270
Fax: (701) 478-7621
Fremstad Law Firm - Detroit Lakes
119 Graystone Plaza, Suite 101
Detroit Lakes, MN 56501
Toll-Free: (855) 478-7620
Telephone: (218) 844-5640
Fax: (701) 478-7621