Free Consultation: (256) 350-9988Tap to Call This Lawyer
J. Brent Burney

J. Brent Burney

Burney & Burney
  • Personal Injury, Workers' Compensation, Nursing Home Abuse...
  • Alabama
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&AGold

Brent clerked for the late Justice Reneau Almon on the Alabama Supreme Court before joining his Dad and brother at Burney and Burney. Over the last 24 years, Brent has focused his practice on helping individuals and families that have suffered serious personal injury and wrongful death as the result of someone else’s negligent and/or careless acts.

He has a proven track record of taking on difficult cases against large corporations and insurance companies and winning significant financial settlements for his clients.

Brent has also developed a significant nursing home abuse and neglect practice. He has successfully handled injury and death cases in the State and Federal Courts across the state of Alabama and he is a member of the American Association of Justice’s Nursing Home Litigation Group.

Brent resides with his wife in Decatur and they have two children. They are members of Central United Methodist Church.

Practice Areas
  • Personal Injury
  • Workers' Compensation
  • Nursing Home Abuse
  • Criminal Law
  • DUI & DWI
  • Insurance Claims
  • Free Consultation
    Call for free consultation
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Alabama
  • English
Professional Experience
Burney & Burney
Cumberland School of Law, Samford University
University of Alabama School of Law
AV Preeminent
Martindale Hubble
Professional Associations
American Association for Justice
- Current
Activities: Nursing Home Litigation Group, American Association For Justice
Alabama State Bar
- Current
Activities: Morgan County Chairman of Local Bar Outreach Committee
Morgan County Bar
- Current
Activities: Former President of the Young Lawyers Section, Morgan County Law Library Committee, Morgan County Indigent Defense Committee.
Alabama Association for Justice
- Current
Activities: Executive Committee, Member of the Legislative Executive Committee
Websites & Blogs
J. Brent Burney Website Profile
Burney & Burney Website
Legal Answers
9 Questions Answered

Q. Food Poisoning from Burger King. In 1995, I had gotten a terrible case of good poisoning.
A: You will not be able to bring a suit a case against Burger King. In Alabama there is a two year statute of limitations on negligence cases. Which means that you must file a lawsuit against the negligent party within 2 years of the negligent act causing you injury. In you particular situation you would not be able to bring an action against Burger King even if there was not a statue of limitations problem. When you took money for your medical bills and signed the document back in 1995 you released Burger King from any and all future responsibility for your damages even if there act causes you serious medical issues in the future that were unknown to you.
Q. Would grass clippings blown in the roadway intentionally, causing injury or death in an accident be cause for a lawsuit?
A: If grass clippings were negligently or intentionally blown into the road and the clippings were the cause of an accident that could be the basis of a lawsuit for injury or death.
Q. In July 2017 my grandson was involved in a 'at fault' accident in Mobile County Alabama in a vehicle registered to me.
A: In general, if your insurance was in full force on the day of the accident Liberty Mutual would owe you coverage. You should notify the carrier immediately about the suit.
Q. If I was falsely accused of vandalism is it a case?
A: I assume you mean, do you have a civil cause of action against the person that falsely accused you of vandalism. If so, that would depend on several facts. In short you would have to prove that the individual knowingly and intelligently made false statements about you. If so you could have a claim for malicious prosecution. In order to succeed the criminal case would have to be dismissed or not guilty verdict/judgment returned by the court. I would advise you to speak with a lawyer in your area.
Q. I was hit in a car accident March 1st 2019 I had liability on my automobile the other driver was at fault do I have case
A: Yes, you would have a claim for the property loss, medical bills, pain, and suffering. You could also recover your lost wages if you have proof that you missed work as a result of the injuries suffered in the accident. The property claim is separate from your bodily injury claim. Thus, you can settle your property claim before you settle the injury claim. However, I would advise you to speak with an attorney before you speak to the insurance company.
Q. I have a question about the "Open and Obvious Danger" law in Alabama. See details below. Is my complex liable?
A: A landowner generally does not have a duty to warn of dangerous conditions that are open and obvious. In other words, if the dangerous condition is known, or should have been seen or observed by the injured party, the landowner is not responsible for injuries caused by the dangerous condition. The standard is based on what a reasonable person should have observed. The issue of whether a dangerous condition is open and obvious is typically a question that must be decided by a jury. In my opinion you may have a difficult time forcing the owners to pay for your medical bills. However, these type of cases rely heavily on all of the facts and I would need more information to give you a definitive answer.
Q. My sister was in a drug recovery center when the manager pit bull bit her in the face causing major damage. What should
A: Dog attack and dog bite cases can be difficult cases primarily due to insurance coverage issues. The first thing your sister should do is to put the dog owner and drug recovery center an official notice of her claim for damages. To fully protect her rights she should consult a personal injury attorney before making any claim for damages to the dog owner, facility owner and/or insurance carriers. In general, if your sister can prove liability, she would be entitled to receive damages for medical bills, pain, suffering, mental anguish and permanent injury for scarring.
Q. is it possible to re-open a settled WC claim if one feels they were misrepresented concerning the amount of settlement?
A: I am not aware of any way that you can re-open the indemnity portion of your settlement at this point in time. Once the Judge signs the judgment it becomes final after 30 days.
Q. Do I have to wait to cash any insurance settlement check for damage to my SUV if I also want to file a personal injury
A: Generally you do not have to wait. The property damage claim is a separate claim from your bodily injury claim which includes claims for medical bills. You should make certain that there is no language on the endorsement section of the check that states you are waiving all claims related to the accident by endorsing and/or cashing the check.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
Burney & Burney
433 Johnston St SE
Decatur, AL 35601
Telephone: (256) 350-9988 Ext. 304
Fax: (256) 350-9940