Hunter J. Tzovarras protects people's rights and freedom in criminal defense matters in the greater Bangor, Maine area. Hunter has successfully defended people accused of homicide, sex offenses, drug charges, aggravated assault, theft, drug charges, property crimes, domestic violence, and other serious felonies and misdemeanors.
Hunter's practices focuses on defending Maine people and its visitors, working people, parents, college students, professionals, military personnel, juveniles and other individuals facing criminal charges in the greater Bangor, Maine area for charges including:
OUI / DUI / Drunk Driving
Homicide / Manslaughter / Murder
Theft / Embezzlement
All Other Felony and Misdemeanor Charges
Speeding Ticket and Traffic Violations
We strive to provide the best defense and highest quality representation for each and every client.
Hunter is a past President of the Maine Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, and serves as a member of the Maine Rule of Evidence Committee. He is also an active member of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers and National Police Accountability Project. Hunter has been named as a top rated criminal defense lawyer by Super Lawyers since 2016. He is admitted to practice in all courts within the State of Maine, the United States District Court for the District of Maine, the First Circuit Court of Appeals, and the United States Supreme Court.
- Appeals & Appellate
- Criminal Law
- Traffic Tickets
- White Collar Crime
- Juvenile Law
- DUI & DWI
- Domestic Violence
- Gov & Administrative Law
- Car Accidents
- Constitutional Law
- Federal Crimes
- Insurance Bad Faith
- Credit Cards Accepted
- Contingent Fees
- Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
Flat Rates and Payment Plans Available for Most Cases.
- 1st Circuit
- 2nd Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- President of Maine Criminal Lawyers Association
- University of Maine - Orono
- Honors: Rezendes Ethics Award
- Quinnipiac University School of Law
- Honors: Outstanding Legal Scholarship Award; Best Brief National Moot Court Honor Society; Am Jur Award Advanced Trial Practice
- Activities: Editor, Quinnipiac Law Review
- Best Brief
- National Moot Court Society
- National Police Accountability Project
- National Lawyers Guild
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Maine Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Maine Trial Lawyers Association
- 2005-2006 National Health Law Moot Court Competition: Best Brief
- National Health Law Moot Court Competition: Best Brief
- The Journal of Legal Medicine
- Top 100 Trial Lawyers
- National Trial Lawyers
- Q. Contributing to someone's death in a hospital .. I need to know who to talk to or what to do ?
- A: If this is a case involving medical negligence, you should contact a medical practice lawyer. I do not handle medical malpractice claims. Sorry I can't be more help on this. Thanks
- Q. I have a pfa on me on behalf of my kids but was ordered phone calls with them at 7 PM is it a violation to text instead
- A: I would have to see the PFA order to know for sure, but if the Order specifies phone calls only then any other contact, including through text, is likely a violation of the Order.
- Q. I am 24 and on 2 occasions I have received bjs from a 17year old is that legal
- A: It is illegal under federal law. It would not be illegal under Maine law if it was consensual.
- Q. If I get convicted of gross sexual assault what are the possible outcomes
- A: It would depend on the category of gross sexual assault that is charged and convicted on. In general, this is a very serious charge that often carries a long prison term, with some forms of gross sexual assault carrying prison terms of 20 years or more. A gross sexual assault conviction will also require registering on the sex offender registry. These charges can be defended against to avoid a conviction and my office has a high success rate on these cases at trial. If you would like to discuss further please contact my office.
- Q. in maine, what would happen to a newly turned 18 year old found dealing class a drugs if its a first offense?
- A: Most Class A drug charges in Maine carry a mandatory minimum 4 year prison sentence. The maximum is 30 years for this charge. If found guilty of the Class A crime and the mandatory 4 years applies then that would be the lowest sentence that can be imposed. Please let me know if there are any further questions.
- Q. How much time do you serve on a 60 day sentence? Charge is probation violation.Original charge dv assault
- A: On a DV assault charge, you can earn up to 5 days of good time credit per month, so you may end up doing 50 out of the 60. It is possible if you obtained a trustee job you could get more time off as well. Thanks
- Q. charged with saleuse of paraphernalia and furnishing the place/liquor. this charge was when i was 17, but my court-
- A: If it occurred before you turned 18 and is a criminal charge, you'd be charged as a minor, not adult. If it is not a criminal charge, but a civil violation, it is not a criminal charge and the age does not matter. I hope this helps. Thanks
- Q. How do I subpoena a witness? How many days before trial does witness need?
- A: You need to get a subpoena from the clerk of the court and serve it on the witness. The sheriff will serve it for a fee. There is no timeframe for serving it before trial but the sooner the better usually. Thanks
- Q. I need to remove squatters from my cabin located on leased land in the unorganized territories of Maine.
- A: I'M SORRY BUT DON'T HANDLE THIS AREA OF THE LAW. YOU SHOULD TRY CONTACTING A PROPERTY RIGHTS LAWYER. THANKS