Free Consultation: (631) 864-7589Tap to Call This Lawyer
Howard E. Knispel

Howard E. Knispel

  • Bankruptcy, Criminal Law, Divorce...
  • New York
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Howard E. Knispel has been practicing law since 1989, having graduated from Eisenhower College of World Studies of the Rochester Institute of Technology with a degree in International Politics in 1981 and New York Law School in 1988 with a Doctor of Jurisprudence. Howard concentrates his practice to Divorce, Family Law, Bankruptcy, Criminal, Traffic and DWI, Real Estate and Wills. Howard has conducted numerous trials, both jury and non-jury. Howard has negotiated and settled hundreds of divorce, custody and support matters. Howard has helped many people get out from crippling debt to get a fresh start. He has assisted many people experiencing criminal matters help get the possible outcome, including dismissals. As a former traffic prosecutor and Administrative Law Judge, has helped many cut through the tangle that is the traffic court and helped reduce points and save licenses. He has represented both purchasers and sellers of residential properties throughout the New York Metropolitan area. If there is any legal issue you need assistance with, call Howard E. Knispel, who has the knowledge and experience to assist you.

Practice Areas
  • Bankruptcy
  • Criminal Law
  • Divorce
  • Elder Law
  • Estate Planning
  • Family Law
  • Real Estate Law
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
New York
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Professional Experience
County Attorney/Special Prosecutor
Suffolk County Traffic asnd Parking Agency
Administrative Law Judge
New York City Taxi and Limousine Commission
New York Law School
J.D. (1988)
Placeholder image for education.
Eisenhower College of Rochester Institute of Technology
B.A. (1981) | International Politics
Honors: Senior Class President. Editor:
Placeholder image for education.
Person of the Year
Smithtown Democratic Committee
Professional Associations
Smithtown Sunrise Rotary
- Current
Activities: Hospitality
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Suffolk County Matrimonial Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Suffolk County Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
New York State Bar # 2279156
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Speaking Engagements
Bankruptcy and Debt Settlement, How to Prevent a Financial Meltdown, Huntington, NY
Housing Help, Inc.
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
51 Questions Answered

Q. I just found out that I am the father of a child with a woman from the dominican republic. The mother is not US citizen.
A: This is not a New York legal question. It is not even a US legal question. You need to seek assistance from a lawyer in the BVI.
Q. My grandson is 17 and his other grandma has custody ,she wants to give him to his aunt , he is living with her in S C
A: South Carolina has jurisdiction. You need to post this in a SC forum.
Q. What happens if my lawyer doesn't show up to a family court violation hearing?
A: If your lawyer contacted the court to get an adjourned court date then the case simply gets adjourned. If he does not show up, and did not contact ther court and is without a valid excuse, you should be able to get an adjournment and find out why, or get a new attorney. You need to now why the attorney did not show up. It could be a simple explanation.
Q. Hello I'm married currently and I'm uncertain if its leading in a near soon divorce.Iam also pregnant and my husband
A: The legal presumption in New York, that any child conceived during the marriage is the child of the husband. Unless he brings a paternity action to rebut that presumption, he will be, under the law,. the father of the child. You do not have to do anything. As soon as the child is born, he will be financially liable. It is up to him to file to prove it is not his child. Talk to an attorney.
Q. What are the cell phone use and driving laws in New York, specifically the Long Island I-495 Highway? For each offense
A: The use of cell, phones and electronic devices is gfoverned by VTL 1225-c-2 and 1225 d(1). It is a five point violation (11 points suspends your license). If you have a probationary license or learners permit, those can be suspended. 2nd and 3rd offenses increase the fines and will make it less likely the prosecutor will make a plea deal to a lesser offense. You will also get a DMV surcharge. It is best to use an attorney to negotiate a lesser plea.
Q. No Will. uncle died in New York. No kids. His spouse, Ben, passed. He has a niece and nephew. Who has claim to his asset
A: First, this is not a family law question. It is an estates question. Second, having said that, if there is no will the estate passes by intestate succession. Depending on his surviving relatives, the law decides who gets everything based on how they are related. Spouse would come first, the children, then parents, then siblings, etc. (NY EST POW & TRST § 4-1.1). Consult with an attorney to get more specifics.
Q. My wife is going to court for child support with her ex can they use my income as well as hers
A: Your wife's income can be increased by imputing some of your income if it is used to pay household expenses for her. If he is the custodial parent, then income will be imputed to her based on several factors, including what you contribute. Contact an attorney.
Q. Ok so I have a question . My father back in November gave me permission to use his credit card for several things.
A: First of all, this is not a Family Law question. it is a Criminal Law question. As for whether you are "in the clear", that depends. If you used his card with his permission, as he dictated, then you may have a defense. No one but your attorney, who would review the facts, can make a definitive judgment on that.
Q. I am currently 8 months pregnant and I'm 20 my baby father is 16 but he lied about his age can I get in trouble
A: It really depends on the age difference at the time of the relationship. In NY Statutory rape occurs when a person has consensual sex with someone under the age of consent. ... It is considered statutory rape to have sex with anyone under 17 years old in New York. However, there is a close-in-age exception that allows for a 4 year age gap as long as the minor is older than 15. If he was 16 and you were 20 you might be ok but that depends on the actual dates. THe fact that he lied about his age is irrelevant.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
354 Veterans Highway
Commack, NY 11725
Telephone: (631) 864-7589