Free Consultation: (618) 206-6232Tap to Call This Lawyer
Gary W. Wangler

Gary W. Wangler

  • Divorce, Criminal Law, Family Law...
  • Illinois
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&A

Experienced professional legal representation for criminal defense, drug cases, divorce, child custody and support, adoption, domestic violence, DUI/DWI, lawsuits, trials and appeals. Gary Wangler is an experienced attorney practicing in the Metro East and greater Southern Illinois area. Contact Gary Wangler with your legal questions or concerns at (618) 206-6232 or at (618) 514-3286 or by email Gary Wangler is a graduate of the University of Illinois College of Law. He is licensed to practice before the Illinois Supreme Court, the Fifth District Appellate Court and the United States District Court for the Southern District of Illinois. He has argued appeals before the Illinois Supreme Court, the Third, Fourth and Fifth District Appellate Courts and the Industrial Commission Division. He is well-versed in all phases of civil and criminal trial practice, both jury and non-jury.

Practice Areas
  • Divorce
  • Criminal Law
  • Family Law
  • Appeals & Appellate
  • Traffic Tickets
  • DUI & DWI
  • Domestic Violence
  • Medical Malpractice
  • Personal Injury
  • Workers' Compensation
  • Juvenile Law
  • Arbitration & Mediation
  • Probate
Additional Practice Area
  • Child Custody
  • Free Consultation
    First call is free. I will answer all your legal questions without charge by telephone.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
  • French: Written
Professional Experience
Reed, Bruhn and Wangler, P.C.
Partner handling personal injury, workers' compensation, criminal defense, family cases, trials and appeals
Richard G. Reed, P.C.
Personal injury, workers' compensation, criminal defense, family law, trials and appeals
Louis E. Olivero and associates, LLC
Attorney handling personal injury, workers' compensation, criminal defense, family cases, trials and appeals
University of Illinois College of Law
J.D. (1980) | Law
University of Illinois College of Law Logo
Northern Illinois University
B.A. (1972) | Biology, Sociology
Honors: Summa Cum Laude with University Honors
Northern Illinois University Logo
Professional Associations
State Bar of Illinois # 6181708
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Articles & Publications
Child Support Changes. Will They Affect You or Someone You Love?
Gary W. Wangler
Breaking Up is Hard to Do
Gary W. Wangler
Websites & Blogs
Affordable Legal Services
Gary Wangler Law
Legal Answers
15 Questions Answered

Q. Can I file a wrongful death claim against a drunk driver that killed my husband?
A: Of course. Consult an attorney immediately as there are strict time limits to this kind of case. If you call my office I will answer any questions you may want to ask, free of charge.
Q. My 17yr old daughter moved in with her boyfriend and his family. Do I have to still pay ex wife child support
A: Before taking any self-help action and terminating child support payments on your own, you should first consult an attorney who will review the situation as well as the current child support order. I have handled cases similar to yours, and what happens is there will need to be a motion filed to modify child support, multiple trips to court and in all likelihood a contested hearing where the mother will probably testify that she is still supporting your daughter either in cash or in kind. By the time you get to court your daughter may have attained the age of eighteen. In the meantime you may have gotten mom thinking about going for college expenses since she's already in court anyway. You need to weigh the expense of that procedure versus the amount you hope to gain in terms of reduced child support. Depending on what you are paying, with your daughter closing in on age 18, the game may not be worth the candle. But definitely talk to a lawyer. Otherwise, if you quit paying on your own, you may soon find yourself staring down both barrels of a contempt petition, so be careful.
Q. For a death resulting from a fire in an unsafe structure, would the landlord or the city be legally responsible?
A: Potentially both. It is impossible to address all possible circumstances where liability might be imposed without more information than what you have provided. You should consult an attorney immediately in order to protect and preserve your rights. There are strict time limits governing suits for wrongful death.
Q. Union says it won't accept qdro in divorce settlement. Can the union do this?
A: The union is not a party to the dissolution of marriage and therefore cannot be ordered by the court to accept a QDRO. Most employers and other organizations if requested to do so will provide guidelines dealing with QDRO forms they will find acceptable. Your attorney will assist you in drafting a QDRO that meets your needs and those of the Union.
Q. Parents have equal days with a 14 yr. Daughter can she make the decision to stay with only one parent
A: The short answer is no. As long as the court order is in effect, all parties must comply. The solution may be to file what's called a "Petition to Modify Allocation of Parental Responsibilities." Consult a lawyer for details on how to go about doing that in your particular case. Also, if there is physical abuse you may decide to file for an Emergency Order of Protection on behalf of the child. I would recommend consulting a lawyer first.
Q. How do i proceed with stepparent adoption?
A: Yours sounds like a fairly straightforward stepparent adoption matter. Adoption is an important legal step and should only be handled by an attorney practicing in your area. I would discourage you from DIY.
Q. Can you voluntary relinquish your parental right in Illinois?
A: You cannot voluntarily relinquish your parental rights in Illinois unless you consent to adoption by another party and the court terminates your parental rights. However, at this point it is premature to determine whether in fact you are the father. If the child is born alive, paternity may easily be determined by means of a DNA test. If the mother will not consent to such a test, you can file a petition in court to establish paternity or non-paternity.
Q. Can you sue the government in a wrongful death case?
A: You have asked an important and potentially complicated question. Before answering any further, I must tell you that there are strict time limits for filing any wrongful death case. For that reason, you should talk to a lawyer immediately in order to protect and preserve your rights. Having said that, it is often possible depending on various factors to sue the United States government under the Federal Tort Claims Act and to sue the State of Illinois in the Illinois Court of Claims. Once again, you should call a lawyer TODAY!
A: Certainly the fact that your ex-spouse has caught two DUI's in 4 months is an important consideration in a potential change of custody case. It is a warning sign, particularly if the children were exposed to danger. The court will weigh all the substantial changes in circumstances as they bear on custody. Speak to a lawyer about your particular situation.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
Gary Wangler Law Firm
114 Lincoln Place Court
Suite #103
Belleville, IL 62221-7884
Telephone: (618) 206-6232