Free Consultation: (717) 737-7574Tap to Call This Lawyer
Francis Joseph Lafferty

Francis Joseph Lafferty

Representing Injured Workers and their Families.
  • Workers' Compensation, Personal Injury
  • Pennsylvania
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Francis J. Lafferty, IV, earned his law degree in 1999 from Widener University School of Law and received his undergraduate degree from University of South Carolina in 1990. Prior to establishing Norfleet and Lafferty in 2011; Mr. Lafferty was a partner with Metzger, Wickersham, Knauss and Erb, P.C, in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. As a Plaintiff's Personal Injury Attorney, Mr. Lafferty has successfully handled cases for his clients against those responsible for causing their injuries. Mr. Lafferty's practice emphasizes representing persons injured by others in motorcycle, automobile and trucking accidents. Mr. Lafferty has handled Wrongful Death cases and complex cases involving serious, permanent injuries. He has experience in trial work, both mediation and arbitration processes, and has resolved numerous cases through diligent case preparation and negotiation. In 2002, Mr. Lafferty received a verdict in Dauphin County for over $400,000.00; in 2008, Mr. Lafferty obtained a $725,000.00 dollar settlement in a motorcycle accident injury case. Mr. Lafferty also dedicates a large portion of his practice to representing persons injured in the workplace. Mr. Lafferty’s workers’ compensation practice includes representing injured workers as they pursue their claims and protect their interests at all stages of the Workers’ Compensation process; from filing an initial claim to fighting for a client’s rights during the appeals process. Mr. Lafferty has resolved numerous lump settlements exceeding six figure settlements through negotiation and has successfully utilized both the voluntary and the mandatory mediation program in the workers’ compensation process to secure settlements over $100,000.00. He is also a member of the Pennsylvania Association for Justice (formerly PATLA) and is a member of the Pennsylvania Bar Association, Dauphin County Bar Association and York County Bar Association

Practice Areas
  • Workers' Compensation
  • Personal Injury
  • Free Consultation
  • Contingent Fees
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
  • English
Professional Experience
Norfleet and Lafferty, LLC
- Current
Metzger, Wickersham
Widener University
J.D. (1999)
Legal Answers
9 Questions Answered

Q. Was injured on job,went to one of there panel doctors didn't drug test me.Can they drug test me 10 days later?
A: I agree with Attorney Belt that is there is am employer policy that you may have to submit to testing. The impact that a positive test may have on any workers' compensation claim --- especially 10 days after a work injury -- would depend if the employer could prove that your injury would not have occured "but for" your intoxication. If the employer could prove that, your claim may be excluded under the Pennsylvania Workers' Compensation Act.
Q. Signed a waiver at a restaurant before eating hot wings. Became violently ill and was taken to the er do I have recours
A: You should have ordered mild......
Q. I pulled a muscle at work while doing a job and my WC claim was denied stating back pain isn't an injury. And I missed w
A: Yes. You should contact a workers' compensation attorney. You can search for one on or contact your local Bar Association. They will be able to explain your rights to you.
Q. Can a lawyer quit your case after getting a settlement on loss of wages in PA?
A: If you have ongoing issues with the medical portion of your claim, you would hope (and expect) that the attorney that was paid from your wage loss settlement will continue to represent your interests; but you would be surprised at how many lawyers will not. Check your fee agreement. Depending on what the ongoing issue is (and the costs that may be associated with your case) you may be able to find someone to represent you on principal (or the potential of payment based on an unreasonable contest by the insurer/employer)
Q. If I already have an attorney for workmans comp. Can I hire a new attorney
A: Changing attorneys is certainly within your rights; but, in my opinion, should only be considered as a last resort. You should consult you Fee Agreement, because the attorney certainly will have rights to a portion of your compensation if they secured you benefits. If you are not currently receiving benefits, a change of attorneys mid-case can raise red flags to the defense attorney and judge casting questions about you and your case. I agree with Attorney Belt that scheduling an appointment with your current attorney is most recommended. If that doesn't resolve your issues, consider moving on with another attorney.
Q. When if ever should I sign: Supplemental Agreement For Compensation For Disability Or Permanent Injury
A: A Supplemental Agreement is appropriate when you are earning wages that will be offset against your workers' compensation benefits. The employer will be entitled to deduct the wages you earn from your average weekly wage and then calculate the partial disability payment you are entitled to receive.
Q. What is the process to request a change of venue for a worker's comp claim in Pennsylvania?
A: If Pennsylvania has jurisdiction, and your claim is currently being handled in another state, you will need to file a Claim Petition to have the case handled in Pennsylvania. This issue arises many times with over the road truck drivers who sign an employment contract assigning jurisdiction to a state (i.e. Indiana) regardless of where their accident occurs. Although the employer may require such an agreement to be executed for employment, you may enforce your rights by filing a Claim Petition and having your claim brought in PA.
Q. How do I answer PA unemployment comp question for Worker's Comp if I only received a settlement - NO monthly payments?
A: You should definitely talk to your attorney about the paper work you completed at the hearing to approve the Compromise and Release. Very often, a letter of resignation is included by the employer to preclude you from being eligible to receive UC benefits. You may want to review this case and see if it is similar to the facts of your case: In the noted case, the injured worker was deemed to have waived her rights to UC benefits by signing the resignation letter.
Q. Who pays for your medical bills after a workmans comp settlement?
A: Unless you and your attorney negotiate for the future payment of medical expenses, the workers compensation insurer will stop paying for medical expenses incurred after the date of the hearing to approve your settlement. If that is the case, then you will be responsible for any and all medical expenses following he hearing to approve your settlement, or Compromise and Release Agreement. You can, however, negotiate to have the workers compensation insurer remain responsible for the payment of future medical expenses indefinitely, or for a certain "closed period" of time following the settlement, but this must be negotiated and explicitly included in the terms of the Compromise and Release Agreement that needs to be approved by the Workers Compensation Judge.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
York Office
11 East Market Street
Suite 200B
York 17401
Telephone: (717) 737-7574
Fax: (717) 737-5077
Harrisburg Office
107 N. Front Street
Suite 111
Harrisburg, PA 17101
Telephone: (717) 737-7574
Fax: (717) 737-5077
Lemoyne Office
1300 Market Street
Suite 202B
Lemoyne, PA 17043
Telephone: (717) 737-7574
Fax: (717) 737-5077