Free Consultation: (713) 847-6000Tap to Call This Lawyer
Fran Brochstein

Fran Brochstein

Burnet County, Texas & surrounding counties family law mediator
  • Arbitration & Mediation
  • Texas
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Full-time mediator for all areas of family law (divorce, custody, child support, paternity, modification, family disputes, assistance in working with elderly parents, etc.) for over 15 years. Licensed Texas attorney for over 28 years.

Member of many mediation groups including the Association of Attorney-Mediators, Texas Association of Mediators and the Texas Mediator Credentialing Association.

Practice Area
  • Arbitration & Mediation
  • Free Consultation
    If you live in Texas (preferably somewhere around Houston), I offer a FREE 10 minute phone consultation to see if I can assist you or if I need to refer you to someone else. I cannot give legal advise outside of the State of Texas!
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    No personal checks. Cash, debit or credit card payments only.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Association of Professional Family Mediators
- Current
Association of Attorney Mediators
- Current
Association for Conflict Resolution - Houston
- Current
Supreme Court of the United States of America
- Current
Texas Mediator Credentialing Association
- Current
Advanced Credentialed Mediator status
Texas Mediator Association (TAM)
- Current
Member of Family Law Section & ADR Section of the State Bar of Texas
- Current
Alumni member
Delta Theta Phi Law Fraternity
- Current
Active in the Delta Theta Phi Chapter in Houston, Texas. Former alumni president for the Houston Chapter.
Member of Family Law Section & ADR Section of the Houston Bar Association
National President
Phi Gamma Nu Business Fraternity
Student Intern
247th Judicial District Court of Harris County Texas
Interned for one semester in the 247th Judicial District Court of Harris County, Texas.
Law school student
Attended summer school in Jerusalem, Israel through Tulane University
South Texas College Of Law
Doctor of Jurisprudence/Juris Doctor (J.D.)
Placeholder image for education.
University of Houston - Main Campus
B.S. (1976) | Business Technology & Personnel Management
Activities: President - Phi Gamma Nu Business Fraternity
University of Houston - Main Campus Logo
One of 10 Lifetime Achievement Award Recepients
Association for Conflict Resolution
One of 50 Influential Women of Houston
Houston Woman Magazine
One of the outstanding family law attorney/mediators in Houston
H-Texas Magazine
One of the top family law mediators in Houston
Houstonia Magazine
One of the top 30 family law attorneys in Houston, Texas
Houstonia Magazine
One of the top 30 family law attorneys in Houston, Texas
Houstonia Magazine
December 2013 issue of Houstonia Magazine listed me as one of the top family law attorneys in the City of Houston, Texas.
One of their top 100 volunteers
Harris County Dispute Resolution Center
I have been one of their top volunteer mediators since 2004.
Equal Access Champion
HBA, Houston Bar Foundation & HVLP
I received this recognition for the years of 2008 - 2011.
Certificate of Appreciation for Outstanding Pro Bono Work
Houston Volunteer Lawyers Program
I have been a volunteer at HVLP since 1995.
AIDS Advocate Award
Bar Association for Human Rights
Professional Associations
Texas State Bar # 03039900
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Association for Conflict Resolution - Houston Chapter
Immediate Past President
Activities: I was recognized in 2018 for my Lifetime Achievement in alternative dispute resolution.
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Texas Association of Mediators
Membership Chair
Activities: I have served on this board for the past 3 years.
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Articles & Publications
Divorce 911
Seven Falls Publishing
Speaking Engagements
Family Law Mediation Trainer, Harris County Dispute Resolution Center, Houston, Texas
Harris County DRC
I was one of the trainers of the Family Law Mediation Training sponsored by the Dispute Resolution Center of Harris County.
Mediator Trainer, Family Law Mediation Training, Houston, Texas
Manousso Mediation Training
I have served as a family law mediator trainer & a trainer for basic mediation for the past 3 years.
Mediator Trainer, Family Law Mediation Training, Houston, Texas
Dispute Resolution Center of Houston (DRC)
I have served as a family law mediator trainer for the past 2 years with the DRC.
Advanced Credentialed Mediator
Texas Mediator Credentialing Association (TMCA)
Websites & Blogs
Fran Brochstein's website
Legal Answers
44 Questions Answered

Q. What can I do if my daughters dad gets laid off and he is the one who provides her with her insurance?
A: You need to read your court document. It probably says that he needs to get more insurance. If he cannot or won't, then you get it. You can then ask a court to modify the current court order and have him reimburse you for the cost of insuring the child. If no insurance, read decree if see if he is ordered to pay 100% of medical bills for letting insurance lapse.
Q. How can I get my kids dad off child support..or is that even possible?
A: Impossible to answer without more info. Have you ever accessed any state or federal monies such as WIC or food stamps? If so, he owes the taxpayers of Texas and TX A G won't let him stop paying child support until they are reimbursed in full. Take form to an attorney to review.
Q. Can someone explain the court process for establishing paternity?
A: It appears you are in TX A G court. Most are handled very quickly. They establish child support. Their paperwork regarding visitation cannot be modified. I don't like their paperwork. I highly recommend that you hire an attorney to assist you or perhaps move the case away from TX A G court. TX A G does a form of mediation that is unique to them. They really don't care about what you have to say - they don't have time - they only want to set up child support. If mom alleges that you are "abusive" then you won't get her address and visitation might be through supervised visits. Please hire an attorney. You don't have to sign the papers even when they threaten you. But if it's trial, judge does not care if you show up or not or if you don't sign - only Judge's signature is the only one required.
Q. how long is does it take for child support to stop coming out of your check after a woman drops child support?
A: The person with possession of the child needs to modify the current court order. You need to have the child for aporox. 6 months or have an emergency. I would hire an attorney to serve mom, ask for temporary orders to stop the child support and then have her ordered to pay your child support.
Q. I got divorced back in '96 yet i kept my married name. i now want my maiden name back. i have a divorce decree. Now what
A: If the divorce decree said you can go back to your maiden name then it's done. So to social security then TX Driver's license, etc. If not done in your divorce, then you need to file an adult name change and have a criminal background check done by submitting finger prints. It is a slow process.
Q. if im 17 and have no guardian what am i considered?
A: Attorney Hui is correct. For civil purposes you are still a minor. For criminal purposes you are an adult.
Q. My son is with me for the summer, and he does not want to go back with his mom. How do I start the custody battle?
A: Many children say this during the summer. You need to really determine what is going on. In the meantime, you need to talk to a family law attorney in your county about your options. You might consider mediation. If you don't have it yet, you can ask for an expanded standard possession order and automatically receive it -- that would get you 48% time with the child -- a fellow attorney in Houston calculated the hours of an expanded SPO and told me that it's really 48.5% of the time. Good luck!
Q. Can my husband legally put his new girlfriend on his medical insurance with his last name if we are not divorced yet?
A: No. That might get him fired for insurance fraud. He needs to talk to a family law attorney about divorce law and bigamy laws in the State of Texas. It is illegal to be married to 2 people at a time. He cannot be common law married to her if he is still married to you. I hope this is helpful.
Q. If we have no custody paper do I have to give my child to the father?
A: No. I urge you to immediately talk to a family law attorney. If he takes the child and disappears many times the police won't help you. I beg you to talk to an attorney before you surrender the child to him. You need court orders.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
P O Box 1925
Marble Falls, TX 78654
Telephone: (713) 847-6000
Cell: (713) 805-9591