Free Consultation: (703) 684-2000Tap to Call This Lawyer
F. Paul Maloof

F. Paul Maloof

Working hard for you and achieving success for our clients at competitive fees.
  • Landlord Tenant, Business Law, Real Estate Law...
  • Maryland, Virginia
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial MediaResponsive Law

I give my clients personal attention and have done so for more than 40 years in Virginia and Maryland. As a partner in a well established Alexandria City law firm, I provide my clients with legal services and skills at a high quality level and at reasonable hourly rates in Northern Virginia, including Fairfax County. I work with individuals and small businesses. I advise clients who are consumers and professionals on a range of issues, specifically; fair business practices, business contract disputes, landlord and tenant law, residential real estate matters, loan documentation, commercial lease, business acquisition, estate planning and serving as general civil litigation counsel. I have an AV rating with Martindale-Hubbell that is the highest rating regarding competence and ethics for lawyers. I accept cases on an hourly billing basis. I do not take cases on a contingency fee basis. I served in the U.S. Marine Corps and am happy to provide professional legal advice to all current and retired military personnel in the metropolitan Washington, DC region. I am currently accepting new clients so give me a call to discuss the matter that has you concerned and how I can be of service. Please see the fields of law in which I practice. If my practice areas do not fit your needs, one of my 12 partners will most likely be able to advise you. Call me today to discuss the problem that you face and to set up an office appointment so I can help you construct a resolution in your favor. You need to take the first step. Call me today at 703-684-2000.

Practice Areas
  • Landlord Tenant
  • Business Law
  • Real Estate Law
  • Estate Planning
Additional Practice Areas
  • General Civil Litigation
  • Mergers & Acquisitions/Secured Transactions
  • Foreign Judgments/Domestication & Enforcement
  • Commercial, Consumer & Medical Collections
  • Free Consultation
    I offer a complementary 10 minute consultation by telephone. There are some cases that I will accept for a fixed fee. Call me today about your situation so we can discuss the issue and how it may be resolved.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    MasterCard, Visa and American Express
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    Hourly rate depends on the complexity of the case
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Redmon, Peyton & Braswell, LLP
- Current
Georgetown University Law Center
J.D. | Law
Georgetown University Law Center Logo
Georgetown University
B.S. (1975) | Accounting & Economics
Honors: Who's Who Among Students in American Universities & Colleges
Georgetown University Logo
Who’s Who in the World
Who’s Who in the World
Who's Who in American Law
Who's Who in American Law
Who’s Who Among Students in American Universities and Colleges
Who’s Who Among Students in American Universities and Colleges
Professional Associations
Alexandria City Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Maryland State Bar
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Virginia State Bar
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Legal Answers
600 Questions Answered

Q. I have a disturbed woman posting false statements about me calling me a whore and using my business name.
A: I do not handle protective order matters. Sorry.
Q. Can a tenant leave before 30 days after the tenant has given a verbal 30-day notice to their landlord? (Month-to-Month)
A: A verbal notification does not conform to the notice requirements of the Virginia Code. The 30 day notice to terminate the month-to-month tenancy that is given to the landlord must be in writing.
Q. I received a 5day pay or quit notice on the 4th (VA) On the morning of 9th, the property mgr. began legal process and
A: I would need to review all the documents in order the give an answer. However, you may have a defense to a lawsuit if the suit is filed maturely. You should get a formal opinion from a lawyer to protect yourself.
Q. Can I sue my children's mother for never giving me and them financial support and putting them through emotional damage?
A: I do not handle domestic relations cases. Sorry.
Q. Can we cash a short security deposit check and still sue?
A: You may deposit the check in your checking account but you should mark on the back and just above your signature "accepted in partial satisfaction of security deposit refund- not an accord and satisfaction." By writing that on the back of the check and making a copy of the front and back before it is deposited, you will preserve your rights to sue for the unrefunded balance and not find out later that the landlord claimed that you accepted the check as "full and final satisfaction of the security deposit refund." You may also want to engage an attorney if you decide to sue in court.
Q. Does a landlord have to abide by the month to month lease also.
A: Generally in Virginia, inaction by the landlord does not constitute a breach of a residential lease.
Q. Signed lease, only paid reservation fee, never moved in & want to cancel, landlord says we need to pay until new tenancy
A: The landlord is certainly "able" to take action against you and that may be a lawsuit. Whether the landlord succeeds in its claims, by lawsuit or otherwise, will depend on the Landlord proving by the preponderance of the evidence that he has a valid and enforceable claim for damages. You may have certain defenses. You may want to retain an attorney to give you formal advice if there is a lawsuit filed against you.
Q. I have a nephew that has been living with me for the last 4 years -no rent, no lease, no monies given at all.
A: I think your nephew would be considered as a "guest" or an "invitee" rather than a "tenant.' What ever way he is described, if you want him out of your premises, you will need to follow the requirements of Virginia law and eventually file an Unlawful Detainer to seek an Order of Possession that a judge will enter and order your nephew to move out of the premises. You may want to seek formal advice from a local attorney so you know you are following the proper procedures.
Q. Can my landlord charge me to move next door for her convenience? She wants to deduct cost of move from security deposit
A: There is no specific provision in the Virginia Code that addresses a request from the landlord to the tenant to move from one premises to another. However, generally, there are some residential leases in Virginia that allow for a landlord requesting a tenant to move from one rental unit to another which the same landlord owns. If you already moved, which it appears to be, you have acquiesced in the former landlord's request. As to the question about the lost or stolen camera equipment, you would need to have proof of who was the culprit/thief in order to make a claim and more importantly to be successful in achieving that claim. As to the interest on a security deposit, the Virginia Code does not require interest to be applied to a security deposit but if the lease provided for interest on the security deposit, then you have a contractual right to interest. As to your former landlord notifying your current landlord that you owe the former landlord for the move, such a charge must be based on a written agreement so if there is no written agreement, the former landlord has no right to make the claim based on a contractual agreement. You should seek formal advice of an attorney.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
Redmon, Peyton & Braswell, LLP
510 King Street
Suite 301
Alexandria, VA 22314
Telephone: (703) 684-2000