Free Consultation: (212) 520-2690Tap to Call This Lawyer
Elaine Shay

Elaine Shay

Elaine Shay, Esq.
  • Real Estate Law, Landlord Tenant, Appeals & Appellate ...
  • New York
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

A respected and skilled attorney with over 28 years of experience as a litigator representing clients before the Courts in the Bronx, Brooklyn, New York City and Queens. Ms. Shay is also a talented negotiator who understands her clients and works tirelessly to achieve their goals.

Her practice is primarily concentrated on real estate and housing matters, including evictions, nonpayment cases, holdover proceedings, HP cases, ejectments, partition actions, DHCR filings, PARs, commercial litigation, leasing, summary proceedings, property transfers, mortgage transactions, corporate governance, shareholder disputes and appeals.

Practice Areas
    Real Estate Law
    Commercial Real Estate, Condominiums, Easements, Eminent Domain, Homeowners Association, Land Use & Zoning, Mortgages, Neighbor Disputes, Residential Real Estate, Water Law
    Landlord Tenant
    Evictions, Housing Discrimination, Landlord Rights, Rent Control, Tenants' Rights
    Appeals & Appellate
    Civil Appeals, Federal Appeals
    Business Law
    Business Contracts, Business Dissolution, Business Finance, Business Formation, Business Litigation, Franchising, Mergers & Acquisitions, Partnership & Shareholder Disputes
    Probate Administration, Probate Litigation, Will Contests
    Foreclosure Defense
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Contingent Fees
    On selected overcharge complaints
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
New York
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Elaine Shay, Esq.
FINRA (Financial Industry Regulatory Authority)
Adjunct Professor
Strayer University
Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law
J.D. (1989) | Law
Honors: Magna Cum Laude Graduate
Activities: Cardozo Law Review
Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law Logo
Top Contributor
Professional Associations
New York State Bar Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
American Bar Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
New York State Bar  # 2292225
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
639 Questions Answered
Q. I am getting divorced. My wife and I purchased a home. However I am the only party on the mortgage. We are both on the
A: Especially when a minor child is involved, a matrimonial court is not limited to forcing a sale of the property in the situation described.
Q. Two borrowers (not married) on a Joint Mortgage - one moves out, other stays
A: When co-owners of a property disagree about the use of property or payment of expenses, either party may commence a partition case to force a sale of the property. Whether one of the owners has children or is a single parent is not determinative of their rights.
Q. I want to sue my neighbors, the seller's broker, and the seller
A: It's very unfortunate that you are having these issues with the property you so recently purchased. You are describing a complex issue that will require the examination of the documents executed at closing as well as other records to properly guide you. Therefore, it is not the type of question that can receive detailed guidance online. Instead, you should seek a consultation with an attorney to assist you.
View More Answers
Contact & Map
Elaine Shay, Esq.
830 3rd Avenue
5th Floor
New York, NY 10022
Toll-Free: (212) 520-2690