Free Consultation: (212) 804-8663Tap to Call This Lawyer
Donovan A Rodriques

Donovan A Rodriques

Business and Entertainment Attorney
  • Entertainment & Sports Law, Business Law, Intellectual Property
  • New York
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

I am a business and entertainment attorney. I concentrate my practice in the area of film and television development, financing, production and distribution. I represent producers, talent, entertainment companies and entrepreneurs, including a number of startups and emerging companies in media, sports and entertainment technologies.

Practice Areas
  • Entertainment & Sports Law
  • Business Law
  • Intellectual Property
  • Free Consultation
    First consultation up to 60 minutes
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Contingent Fees
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
New York
2nd Circuit
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Business & Entertainment Attorney
Rodriques Law, PLLC
- Current
He concentrates in the area of film and television development, finance, production and distribution. His principal clients include individuals and businesses in the film, television and music industries, including a number of start-ups in media, sports and entertainment technologies.
Norman Manley Law School
Edinburgh University School of Law
LL.M. | International Trade Law
University of the West Indies
LL.B. (1999) | Law
Professional Associations
New York State Bar
- Current
Activities: Member of the Entertainment, Arts and Sports Law Section
Articles & Publications
How to Obtain Indie Film Financing
NYSBA Fall/Winter 2013 Entertainment, Arts and Sports Law Journal
Websites & Blogs
Rodriques Law, PLLC blogs
Legal Answers
44 Questions Answered

Q. I'm writing a script from an idea given to me by a friend - how is the work treated from an ownership standpoint?
A: Depending on how well-developed the idea is and how much is used, you are the sole owner of the copyright in the script. You may give your friend "story by" credit. You should contact a qualified entertainment attorney to review all the facts.
Q. If a nonprofit owns a film, but gives a portion of the revenue to the filmmakers, who truly owns it?
A: How does the agreement between the filmmakers and nonprofit treat the issue of ownership of the film? How do you know the nonprofit owns it? Are there any documentation evidencing copyright ownership of the film?
Q. I own a Food business can I use my aunts( she has passed) name to brand an item - with out any issues?
A: You should be able to use your aunt's name, unless barred by some other principle of law, such as trademark infringement.
Q. Am I able to trademark a stage name?
A: In general, yes.
Q. A celebrity on a talk show states the virtues of a beauty product. There is no mention of a brand name......
A: You may quote her so long as it is not done in such a manner that implies celebrity's endorsement of your goods/services. You will need celebrity's permission to use her/his name and likeness in your catalog. You may also need permission from the talk show's owner to use the image captured from the show.
Q. If I paid an organization and they gave me a receipt but later they can"t locate or lost the payment, what do I do?
A: If the organization fails to fulfill their promised obligation, you may send them a demand letter and/or bring a claim for breach of contract.
Q. Is it a copyright infringement having a puppet sing a line from Whitney Houston song in a video for a nat'l contest?
A: It probably is. You should get clearance first. Best of luck!
A: The corporate documents, such as shareholder agreement, bylaws and the bank account agreement will need to be reviewed regarding the rules in connection with the conduct of the officers and shareholders of the business. You should speak with a business attorney for advice.
Q. How would I successfully go about obtaining a stage name, that was filed/abandoned (is DEAD) 10+ years ago?
A: You will need to conduct a search to see if the mark is still in use. A trademark may be still valid at common law despite being listed as "dead" at the USPTO. If the mark is in use you may contact the owner for permission to use it, via a transfer of rights or trademark license. If the mark is not in use, you may use it.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
54 W 40th Street
New York, NY 10018
Telephone: (212) 804-8663