Free Consultation: (918) 456-1304Tap to Call This Lawyer
Doak Willis

Doak Willis

Trial Attorney of Doak Willis Law Firm
  • Criminal Law, DUI & DWI, Family Law...
  • Oklahoma
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial MediaResponsive Law

Doak is a trial attorney who has experience helping clients to successfully resolve their legal problems. Early in his career he left the private practice and joined the District Attorneys staff where he served as the First Assistant District Attorney for Wagoner, Cherokee, Adair, and Sequoyah Counties. Doak re-entered private practice after his public service and represents clients on a wide range of legal issues from family law, criminal law,probates, real estate transactions, and other business issues to name a few. Doak has tried numerous cases before Juries involving both criminal and civil issues. He has successfully represented clients before a Jury on Murder and Manslaughter charges with verdicts of not guilty.

Practice Areas
  • Criminal Law
  • DUI & DWI
  • Family Law
  • Probate
  • Real Estate Law
  • Traffic Tickets
  • Free Consultation
  • Contingent Fees
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    $150 to $200 per hour litigation. Set fee on Criminal Jury Trials.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
10th Circuit
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Oklahoma Bar Association
- Current
Member of the Oklahoma Bar Association.
University of Tulsa College of Law
J.D. | Law
University of Tulsa College of Law Logo
Northeastern State University - Muskogee campus
B.A. | History;Political Science
Honors: Deans Honor Roll
Activities: President of Phi Lambda Chi Fraternity 1975-1976
Placeholder image for education.
University of Oklahoma
Political Science; Philosophy
University of Oklahoma Logo
Legal Answers
168 Questions Answered

Q. Do still have to pay child support if I terminated my rights as an parent?
A: Yes, unless the child has been adopted by another person. Just because your rights are terminated doesn't relieve the responsibility of having to support the child.
Q. living in this rental home since march of 2019. In May of that year the heat/air entire unit went out. what can I do?
A: You must contact the landlord in writing notifying him/her of the problem.Title 41 section 121 of the Oklahoma statutes can be read by you but says the following. C. Except as otherwise provided in this act, if, contrary to the rental agreement or Section 18 of this act, the landlord willfully or negligently fails to supply heat, running water, hot water, electric, gas or other essential service, the tenant may give written notice to the landlord specifying the breach and thereafter may: 1. Upon written notice, immediately terminate the rental agreement; or 2. Procure reasonable amounts of heat, hot water, running water, electric, gas or other essential service during the period of the landlord's noncompliance and deduct their actual and reasonable cost from the rent; or 3. Recover damages based upon the diminution of the fair rental value of the dwelling unit; or 4. Upon written notice, procure reasonable substitute housing during the period of the landlord's noncompliance, in which case the tenant is excused from paying rent for the period of the landlord's noncompliance. D. Except as otherwise provided in this act, if there is a noncompliance by the landlord with the terms of the rental agreement or Section 18 of this act, which noncompliance renders the dwelling unit uninhabitable or poses an imminent threat to the health and safety of any occupant of the dwelling unit and which noncompliance is not remedied as promptly as conditions require, the tenant may immediately terminate the rental agreement upon written notice to the landlord which notice specifies the noncompliance. E. All rights of the tenant under this section do not arise until he has given written notice to the landlord or if the condition complained of was caused by the deliberate or negligent act or omission of the tenant, a member of his family, his animal or pet or other person or animal on the premises with his consent.
Q. I got a DUI in 2007 ,misdemeanor charge, after 10 years can I just pay my reinstatement fee and get my license back?
A: No. You will have to have a drug and alcohol assessment done and follow the recommendations of that testing. Depending on the facts of the case, you may have to attend a DUI school so to speak for a number of hours. The DPS of Oklahoma has offices in several larger counties around the State that you can contact to get the specifics.
Q. I am being sued, and they said I was served but I wasn’t. Can this civil lawsuit be dropped on that basis?
A: Yes but you must file the necessary paperwork immediately and be ready to prove you were in fact not served.
Q. I want to adopt my wife's 30 year old daughter. everyone involved wants this to happen. what cost is involved?
A: Paying an attorney for the adoption which runs anywhere from $1500 plus court costs up to whatever the market where you live charges.
Q. How would a teen get emancipated?
A: Just because a parent is too hard on a child is not sufficient grounds to emancipate a child. There are statutory prerequisites that must be met before a petition can be filed on behalf of a child for emancipation. You need to hire an attorney to speak to him/her about the requirements and have them handle the petition if they think they can help the child. Most attorneys give free advice on the first visit.
Q. Where is the formal petition for termination of guardian?
A: There is no formal petition to terminate a guardianship. A motion must be filed along with an order for hearing which must be served upon the guardian to terminate the guardianship. The reason and purpose that the guardianship was created for on the ward must be shown at that hearing as having been rectified making a guardianship no longer needed.
Q. if the mother has made false accusations about the father, is it grounds for termination of his rights? what to do next?
A: Get an attorney immediately to rectify this situation. You will need an attorney.
Q. 60/40 is the plan. He only typically has them every other weekend. I want to change the custody. He won’t agree.
A: You have not said if this is a joint custody case or you have sole custody. You need to hire an attorney to file a motion to modify the Decree requesting a change in custody to full custody or if you already have that then request a modification of the visitation and child support.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
Doak Willis, Attorney
400 S. Muskogee Ave.
Tahlequah, OK 74464
Telephone: (918) 456-1304