Free Consultation: (844) 533-3367Tap to Call This Lawyer
Derek John Soltis

Derek John Soltis

Law Offices of Patel and Soltis
  • Employment Law, Bankruptcy, Foreclosure Defense...
  • New York
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Derek J. Soltis, Esq. is graduate of Rutgers School of Law Newark and an admitted attorney in the State of New York. Mr. Soltis also has an MBA in Management Systems with an International Business Designation from Fordham University Graduate School of Business and a Master of Science in Information and Communication Systems where he specialized in System Dynamics. While at Fordham Mr. Soltis graduated in the top 10% of class and was enrolled in Phi Kappa Phi the Collegiate Honor Society and Beta Gamma Sigma the Business Honors Society. Mr. Soltis's undergraduate degree is a BBA from the University of Houston - Downtown, in Computer Information Systems. Mr. Soltis has spent several years in the eDisocery industry working on the technical and project management side of many cases for Fortune 100 clients and top 100 law firms. He has also managed business units for multiple Fortune 500 companies with responsibility for sales in excess of $18 million wile managing a budget of over $1.5 million. Mr. Soltis is deeply involved in volunteer work. He has volunteered for many organizations, including: Bowery Mission, American Red MIssion, American Red Cross, Essex County Law Day, and the Domestic Violence Advocacy Project in Newark. He has also worked as a Street Law teacher in Newark while in Law School where he taught at the Essex County Juvenile detention center and the Alma E. Flag Middle school.

Practice Areas
  • Employment Law
  • Bankruptcy
  • Foreclosure Defense
  • Probate
  • Estate Planning
  • Landlord Tenant
  • Immigration Law
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Contingent Fees
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
New York
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Law Offices of Patel and Soltis
- Current
Partner in firm.
Rutgers School of Law-Newark
J.D. (2012) | Law
Fordham University
MBA (2006) | Management Sytems
Fordham University
M.S. (2006) | Information and Communication Systems
University of Houston - Downtown
B.B.A. (2003) | Computer Systems
Professional Associations
State Bar of New York
Relativity Certified Administrator
Websites & Blogs
New Jersey Foreclosure Defense Attorneys
Legal Answers
141 Questions Answered

Q. If I know foreclosure is a possibility but hasn't happened yet; so can I just transfer the title of my house to my kids?
A: You can always transfer the property to whomever you like, but they take it subject to the mortgage. You have options prior to the bank foreclosing. You should talk with an attorney to go over all of your options to see what makes the most sense for your family.
Q. I have been refused pay for accrued vacation. What should I do?
A: You can be 100% right, and still lose in the end? You have options before you, talk to an attorney about all of your options.
Q. Do I have to provide my LES to my civilian employer after each drill?
A: Sometimes you just go along to get along. When you say " my employer wants my LES." It may be someone new in HR that has no clue as to what is needed, but they used to this at their old company, or it may be that they now were given a directive from above by someone else that read something someplace and now they want to do it this way. I suggest talking to the person asking for your LES. Ask them what it takes to make his or her life easier and yours as well as you are part of the National Guard and plan to be for as long as you can and you aren't switching jobs either so what are the new requirements going forward. (Emphasis that this wasn't required before, and now you will do whatever they are asking, but just want to know how to make their and your life easier over the long run...)
Q. Can a board member forclosure on shareholder if they are late on maintenance a couple of times?
A: It is possible to foreclose. I doubt anyone is going to foreclose on someone being late 2 times. The paperwork for your building will list the rules and regulations that govern your building. Without being able to review those, you are asking for the general rule of law that may or may not apply to you.
Q. Do I have to file a response to my foreclosure summons if I am in the process of a home modification?
A: I suggest you have someone review your loan modification numbers to go over the probability of you being accepted for a loan modification. For instance if you had a 3.75% loan and the bank is now offering 5% loans there is a good chance you will be denied a loan modification as your payments would increase and make the loan more difficult to pay back. Talk to an attorney to go over all of your options before you decided to do anything or not do something. Be informed of your options.
Q. Can I do something to get my job to pay me my last check or do i take a loss?
A: You should talk to an attorney. The amount of variables around your question cannot easily be addressed in a public forum.
Q. Looking for attorney in New Jersey who has experience recovering surplus funds from sheriff/foreclosure sales. Help?
A: If you contact any attorney in NJ that handles Foreclosure defense they will be able to handle these types of issues.
Q. a. What defenses does an employer have when an employee engages in actionable sexual harassment?
A: It depends on many factors. The employee has no real defenses, but the employer may have defense the employee does not.
Q. can something be done about stopping criminals from evicting me from my house I am also disabled is this fair ?
A: You need to speak with an attorney. Your story is heartbreaking, but without reviewing the legal documents and the court decisions it is impossible to put together a strategy for you.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
Across from Court House
574 Newark Ave
Suite 307
Jersey City, NJ 07305
Toll-Free: (844) 533-3367
Telephone: (844) 533-3367
Cell: (917) 687-4219
Fax: (866) 212-4111
New York City
276 Fifth Avenue, Suite 704
New york, NY 10001
Toll-Free: (844) 533-3367
Cell: (917) 687-4219
Fax: (866) 212-4111
121 Newark Ave
Suite 554
Jersey City, NJ 07302
Telephone: (844) 533-3367