Free Consultation: (863) 937-9100Tap to Call This Lawyer
Deborah Annette Carroll

Deborah Annette Carroll

Carroll Law Group and Building Families Adoption Agency
  • Family Law, Divorce, Domestic Violence ...
  • Florida
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&A

Deborah Carroll grew up in central Florida, raised her family in central Florida and committed her practice to her hometown area. She graduated in 1999 from University of South Florida with a B.A. in Business Management. In 2002, Ms. Carroll graduated from Stetson University with her MBA and Stetson University College of Law with her JD.

Following law school, Ms. Carroll worked as an Assistant Public Defender with the 10th Judicial Circuit in Bartow, Florida, with both felony and misdemeanor cases. In 2005, Ms. Carroll went into private practice with a well known law firm in Lakeland, FL handling both criminal defense cases, family law cases and adoption cases. She opened her own law firm in 2010 and concentrates her areas of practice in adoption, family law and criminal defense. Ms. Carroll is an experienced trial attorney in both family court and criminal court. She is known to be an aggressive advocate for her clients.

Practice Areas
    Family Law
    Adoption, Child Custody, Child Support, Father's Rights, Guardianship & Conservatorship, Paternity, Prenups & Marital Agreements, Restraining Orders, Same Sex Family Law
    Collaborative Law, Contested Divorce, Military Divorce, Property Division, Same Sex Divorce, Spousal Support & Alimony, Uncontested Divorce
    Domestic Violence
    Domestic Violence Criminal Defense, Domestic Violence Restraining Orders, Victims Rights , Victims Rights
    Criminal Law
    Criminal Appeals, Drug Crimes, Expungement, Fraud, Gun Crimes, Internet Crimes, Sex Crimes, Theft, Violent Crimes
    DUI & DWI
Additional Practice Area
  • Adoptions
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    Visa, Mastercard, Discover
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Building Families Adoption Agency
- Current
Attorney/Managing Member
Carroll Law Group, PL
- Current
Harbsmeier DeZayas LLP
Office of the Public Defender 10th Judicial Circuit
Stetson University College of Law
Doctor of Jurisprudence/Juris Doctor
Placeholder image for education.
Stetson University
MBA (2002) | Business Management
Stetson University Logo
University of South Florida
B.A. (1999) | Business Management
University of South Florida Logo
Polk State College
A.A. (1997) | Business
Placeholder image for education.
Professional Associations
Polk Association of Women Laywers
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Florida Adoption Council
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Family Law Section of the Florida Bar
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Polk County Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Florida State Bar  # 626732
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Keiser University Advisory Board
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
24 Questions Answered
Q. How do I get a divorce if my Spouse will not agree to it? No Property or children. Haven't been together in 4 years.
A: A divorce may still be obtained in Florida without the consent of your spouse. It will be a contested dissolution without an agreement. There are two requirements for the party who is the initial petitioner: 1. You must have been a resident of the state of Florida for 6 months prior to filing for dissolution of marriage, and 2. you must be willing to swear under oath that the marrige is irretrievably broken. If the other party doesn't agree that the marriage is irretrievably broken, the judge may inquire to see if the parties feel counseling could help. If the parties respond that counseling could be beneficial, the judge has the option of tabling the dissolution and ordering the parties to counseling for a period of 90 days. However, it is quite customary that if the petitioning party doesn't feel counseling would help, the judge has the option of granting the dissolution anyway.
Q. Hello! We are gay female couple with a kid and looking for a second parenting adoption consultation.
A: I'd love to provide you with a free consultation. Please contact my office at 863-937-9100 and my assistant will set up a time for us to talk. I look forward to it!
Q. Can we file termination due to abandonment and step parent adoption ( involuntary)
A: Thank you for your inquiry. The first issue I see is that you may have a jurisdictional issue that will have to be addressed before any adoption proceedings could move forward. If there were any court orders in Texas involving this child, it is likely that jurisdiction was retained in Texas. As for the adoption, I can't speak to any laws in Texas as I am not familiar with their adoption statutes. But in Florida, lack of financial support with a showing that the father had the means to provide support and lack of emotional support for the child through bonding and time sharing , are factors that would be argued to prove abandonment. No attorney can promise you the outcome of a case. From the brief facts you've provided, it sounds like you have some argument to show abandonment. And yes, he will have the right to appeal if he can show legal error occurred.
View More Answers
Contact & Map
2920 Winter Lake Rd
Lakeland, FL 33803
Telephone: (863) 937-9100