Profile Image Placeholder

David Michael Johnson

Johnson Legal, LLC
  • Criminal Law, DUI & DWI, Juvenile Law...
  • Ohio
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

I graduated from The Ohio State University cum laude with a B.A. in Criminology and earned a J.D. from the University of Toledo College of Law with a concentration in criminal law. While in law school I worked for both the Toledo Public Defender's Office and Lucas County Prosecutor's Office. These experiences allow me to give excellent representation to my clients in need of criminal defense.

Practice Areas
  • Criminal Law
  • DUI & DWI
  • Juvenile Law
  • Domestic Violence
  • Business Law
  • Family Law
  • Divorce
Additional Practice Areas
  • Traffic Offenses
  • Misdemeanors
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Founding Attorney, Managing Member
Johnson Legal, LLC
- Current
Represent clients in the areas of criminal defense and small business law.
Legal Intern
Lucas County Prosecutor's Office
Represented the state of Ohio in a variety of criminal matters.
Legal Intern
Toledo Public Defender's Office
Represented clients in a variety of criminal matters.
The University of Toledo College of Law
J.D. (2014) | Criminal/Business Law
Concentration in Criminal Law
Activities: Toledo Public Defender's Office Lucas County Prosecutor's Office
The University of Toledo College of Law Logo
Ohio State University - Columbus
B.A. (2011) | Criminology
Honors: Graduated cum laude
Ohio State University - Columbus Logo
Professional Associations
State Bar of Ohio # 0092139
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Columbus Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Ohio State Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
American Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Websites & Blogs
Johnson Legal, LLC
Legal Answers
12 Questions Answered

Q. I have a agv. assault and child endangering from 24 years ago can I have it taken off my record?
A: You may want to look into sealing your record. A person can be eligible to seal their record provided they have not more than 1 felony, 1 felony and 1 misdemeanor, or 2 misdemeanors. If the aggravated assault carried a mandatory prison term, or if the child endangering was a felony, you will not be eligible to seal your record. If the child endangering charge was a misdemeanor, you may be eligible to seal your record. You will want to contact an attorney and discuss this with them.
Q. if you are charged with 2911.11 and on parole how many years can you get
A: 2911.11 is aggravated burglary. This charge is a 1st degree felony, which carries a prison term of 3-11 years. The court may seek to revoke the individual's parole, but the court will not increase the sentence for aggravated burglary based on revocation of post-release control.
Q. I was charged with drug abuse for picking up a pot pipe that was not mine. 4 years ago. I cant get a job. How can I get
A: It appears that you were convicted of drug paraphernalia, a 4th degree misdemeanor. You must wait at least 1 year to expunge your record and not commit any further criminal acts. The process for having your criminal record expunged by obtaining a final order of conviction from the clerk of courts begins by obtaining a certified copy of the Judgment Order of Conviction. They should be able to give you a certified copy for a small fee. Make sure you have the case number. Fill out the two forms they will send you ("Application for Sealing of a Criminal Record" and "Judgment Entry for Sealing"). Make 3 copies of these forms, have about $50 on hand, and give the copies to the clerk of courts. The court will set a hearing date and be prepared to show up to court and tell the judge your story. The judge has the discretion as to whether your application will be granted.
Q. what are the due process procedure for the filing of a protection order
A: This question is somewhat vague on what you are actually looking for. There are a number of different types of protection orders, including a civil protection order, restraining order, domestic violence protection order, temporary protection order, etc. You must ask a court (usually by a petition) for a protection order and the court will decide whether to grant it or not.
Q. is a overdose concidered a posession charge
A: Under ORC 2925.11, any person who knowingly obtains, possesses or uses a controlled substance can be charged with this offense. Since using a controlled substance is required to overdose on a drug, and using a controlled substance can result in being charged with drug possession, a person who overdoses on a controlled substance can be charged with drug possession.
Q. Does Ohio have a law against sending threatening text messages?
A: Sending threatening text messages can be a violation of several laws in Ohio. It could be menacing, aggravated menacing, assault, harassment, and several other offenses. If you are sending threatening text messages to another, you should cease immediately or you could face criminal penalties.
Q. what is the penalty for 2923-12a2 orcn in hamilton county ohio
A: ORC 2923.12(A)(2) is carrying a concealed weapon. While this can get complicated very quickly, the typical carrying a concealed weapon charge is a 1st degree misdemeanor. This carries a maximum 6 months in jail and $1000 fine.
Q. the judge said 150 fine and 6month spention for a minor misdamenior of drug posession is that true ?
A: Having less than 100 grams of marijuana is a minor misdemeanor, which is punishable by up to a $150 fine and a 6 month driver's license suspension. Unfortunately, the judge is completely within the law in instituting such a penalty.
Q. what is the punishment for breaking ORC 2921.31A?
A: ORC 2921.31A is obstructing official business. This is a 2nd degree misdemeanor, which carries a maximum jail term of 90 days and a maximum fine of $750. This offense can escalate to a 5th degree felony.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
Johnson Legal, LLC
1900 Polaris Parkway Suite 450
Columbus, OH 43240
Telephone: (614) 987-0192