David Allan King

David Allan King

North Carolina Divorce Attorney
  • Divorce
  • North Carolina
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Divorce attorney serving the Research Triangle area. I handle simple divorces, separation agreements, mediation, and litigation. I charge a flat-fee that includes most expenses, rather than an hourly rate.

The @ in my firm name, King @ Law, is to infer an online emphasis. Clients sign my contract, pay fees, meet with their lawyer, provide info, etc. online.

Practice Area
Collaborative Law, Contested Divorce, Military Divorce, Property Division, Same Sex Divorce, Spousal Support & Alimony, Uncontested Divorce
Additional Practice Area
  • Contracts, Prenups, and legal research/writing
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
North Carolina
North Carolina State Bar
ID Number: 54884
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Denny's Corporate
Wrote revised privacy policy for then-upcoming privacy legislation. Worked on modifications to proxy statement. Reviewed contracts with suppliers.
University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill
J.D. (2019) | Law
University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill Logo
3rd Place in National Essay Competition
Center for Alcohol Policy
Top ten in moot court tryouts for negotiations
Professional Associations
North Carolina State Bar
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Articles & Publications
Putting the Reins on Autonomous Vehicle Liability: Why Horse Accidents Are the Best Common Law Analogy
North Carolina Journal of Law & Technology
Websites & Blogs
King @ Law Website
Legal Answers
45 Questions Answered
Q. Me and my wife are getting a divorce and we have no kids and no property . What can happen if we both make 40,000
A: In theory, if there is no property, alimony, debt, children, etc. to argue over, one spouse would move out and you'd file for divorce after one year of living in separate homes.

In practice, many spouses claim they have no property and this is never the case. Almost everyone has at least a bank account their paychecks go into, transportation like a car (or even a bicycle), etc.. Even the clothes on your back are technically marital property.

That being said, many spouses agree that they will each walk away from the divorce with whatever property is in their name/possession and sign a very simple separation agreement when there isn't a lot of property to fight over.
Q. Do I have the right to leave and keep my 16 month old because she is still nursing?
A: You are both entitled to live in the marital home, regardless of whose name is on the mortgage, until a court orders otherwise. Emotional abuse is not an actionable legal claim. If there is "marital misconduct", such as violence (or cheating) though, especially if there are medical records, police reports, witnesses, photographs of injuries, etc. you can ask the court to evict your spouse through what's called a "divorce from bed and board".
Q. My spouse and I has signed a divorce agreement. Do I file the agreement with Clerk for an Uncontested Divorce?
A: I typically attach a copy of the separation agreement at the end of the initial divorce filings as an FYI. However, most separation agreements are private contracts between the spouses that do not involve the court directly. That is, unless your agreement requires "incorporation" or the spouses agree to incorporation. Incorporation is where you convert the agreement to a court order.
View More Answers
Contact & Map
6613 Hammersmith Drive
Raleigh, NC 27613
Telephone: (919) 706-5322