Free Consultation: (207) 377-6966Tap to Call This Lawyer
Daniel J. Eccher

Daniel J. Eccher

Levey, Wagley, Putman & Eccher, P.A.
  • Elder Law, Estate Planning, Probate ...
  • Maine
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

I enjoy helping clients with estate planning and probate administration of estates. I particularly like helping people plan for long-term care while protecting their assets for their families. Let me help you and your family plan for the years ahead.

Practice Areas
    Elder Law
    Estate Planning
    Guardianship & Conservatorship Estate Administration, Health Care Directives, Trusts, Wills
    Probate Administration, Probate Litigation, Will Contests
    Real Estate Law
    Residential Real Estate
    Business Law
    Business Formation
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Contingent Fees
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
1st Circuit
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Professional Experience
Managing Shareholder
Levey, Wagley, Putman & Eccher, PA
- Current
Eccher Law, LLC
Assistant Attorney General
Maine Office of the Attorney General
HHS Division
Associate Attorney
Weeks & Hutchins, LLC
University of Maine - School of Law
J.D. (2014) | Law
Honors: Pro Bono Publico Award
Activities: MAPIL, Health Law Association
Placeholder image for education.
Boston University
MPH (1999) | Epidemiology and Biostatistics
Boston University Logo
Vassar College
B.A. (1996) | Biology
Honors: Phi Beta Kappa
Activities: College Choir and Madrigal Singers
Placeholder image for education.
Katahdin Counsel
Maine Supreme Judicial Court
Pro Bono Publico
University of Maine School of Law
Professional Associations
American Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Maine State Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
30 Questions Answered
Q. If a Parent dies after remarrying and then dies with no will before the stepparent does, do the children get any inherit
A: The answer to this question requires a close analysis of the facts and the law. Generally speaking, if someone remarries and then dies without a will, the new spouse would be entitled to at least part of the estate of the person who died, and his or her children by a previous relationship would split the rest. However, depending on the length of the new marriage and the size of the estate, the new spouse may be entitled to most if not all of the estate. You should seek the advice of a probate attorney as to your specific situation.
Q. Can a house that is going through probate in Maine be rented out? If so, how does this get initiated legally?
A: Probably, yes; it is quite common for people to rent real estate that is in probate. The "landlord" is technically the probate estate; the person with control would be the Personal Representative (PR) of the estate. If no one has been appointed as PR of the estate, you should petition the local probate court to appoint one before negotiating a lease. Once there is a PR, that person can negotiate a lease with any potential tenant. If you are the PR, you may want to check in with your siblings to be sure this plan is OK with all of them - they may prefer that it be sold as soon as possible, and it is harder to market real estate when it is occupied.
Q. My mom and a house mate bought a house together. The housemate file chapter 7 of part of the house that she owns mom pas
A: Your mother's half of the house is now part of her probate estate, so you (or another heir) need to open probate by filing an application with the local probate court to be appointed as "Personal Representative" (PR; formerly known as "Executor") of her estate. Then, you should be able to talk to the former housemate and lender (I'm assuming there was a mortgage). Unfortunately, if no one pays the mortgage, the house may be lost to foreclosure. If you open probate, you can at let least get notice of the foreclosure process.

It does not matter that your mother did not have a will. As an heir, you have the authority to ask the court to be appointed as PR.
View More Answers
Contact & Map
161 Main St, Ste 1 - A
161 Main St, Ste 1 - A
PO Box 7
Winthrop, ME 04364
Telephone: (207) 377-6966
Fax: (207) 377-2445