Free Consultation: (843) 571-4042Tap to Call This Lawyer
Profile Image Placeholder

D. Nathan Davis

  • Bankruptcy, Business Law, Real Estate Law ...
  • South Carolina
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&A

Born in Charleston, South Carolina, I have been helping people with financial problems, financial planning and creditor abuse matters for over 40 years. My goal is to have my clients in better shape when their legal matter is concluded than when it bagan.

Practice Areas
    Chapter 11 Bankruptcy, Chapter 13 Bankruptcy, Chapter 7 Bankruptcy, Debt Relief
    Business Law
    Business Contracts, Business Dissolution, Business Finance, Business Formation, Business Litigation, Franchising, Mergers & Acquisitions, Partnership & Shareholder Disputes
    Real Estate Law
    Commercial Real Estate, Condominiums, Easements, Eminent Domain, Homeowners Association, Land Use & Zoning, Mortgages, Neighbor Disputes, Residential Real Estate, Water Law
    Consumer Law
    Class Action, Lemon Law
    Estate Planning
    Guardianship & Conservatorship Estate Administration, Health Care Directives, Trusts, Wills
    Probate Administration, Probate Litigation, Will Contests
  • Free Consultation
    I meet with you for up to 1 hour at no charge. I often find that I cannot handle a matter and refer you to an attorney I would use if I had the same legal problem.
  • Contingent Fees
    Not all cases are suitable for contingent fee representation.
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    You will be responsible for costs and expenses even if I take your case on a contingent fee basis.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
South Carolina
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
4th Circuit
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
University of South Carolina School of Law
Juris Doctor (1975)
University of South Carolina School of Law Logo
Professional Associations
National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys
- Current
Activities: participate in forums on national issues.
Placeholder image for professional associations.
South Carolina State Bar
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
46 Questions Answered
Q. Foreclosure started in 2018 and last payment was June 2017.Still haven’t been to court as of May 2022.What is time limit
A: Before Covid, a case the Court would have struck this old. You need to check with the Clerk of Court to see if the case is still active. If you bring it to the attention of the Clerk of Court, the case may get struck. If the case is struck, that does not mean that the issue is over. The lender will bring a new action to foreclose on the property if the case is struck.
Q. Do we have any rights as a renter for what we considered false advertisement?
A: The short answer is probably yes. If a property is held out to you as including a dock, you have the right to be compensated if the amenity was not available to use. Of course, you will have to prove the difference in the value of the property with the amenity and without the amenity. You should contact the landlord and let him or her know of your dissatisfaction. They should be willing to pay you for the value of the lost amenity. This would likely not be the entire value of the rent, but, some portion of the rent. Hopefully, you will be able to reach a resolution with the owner short of a lawsuit.
Q. Can a homeowner file Chapt 7 the day before his home is auctioned off at the courthouse?
A: You have an interest in the property that went into effect upon your mother's death. You need to contact a bankruptcy attorney who can advise you what would be the best way to proceed. The laws of each state vary regarding what you need to do so the attorney you speak with should be knowledgeable in both bankruptcy and real property law. Based upon the laws of the state the property is in, your rights may be terminated by an actual sale. You really need to speak with someone before the sale. If you wait until after the sale, you may lose substantial rights.
View More Answers
Contact & Map
1470 Tobias Gadson Blvd, Ste. 202
1470 Tobias Gadson Blvd, Ste. 202
Telephone: (843) 571-4042
Fax: (888) 821-9444