Free Consultation: (518) 884-0000Tap to Call This Lawyer
Christopher N. Luhn

Christopher N. Luhn

33 years’ legal experience and community leadership
  • Family Law, Traffic Tickets, Personal Injury
  • Maryland, New York
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

With 30 years of experience in preparing, planning and litigating conflicts between individuals, Chris Luhn brings a complete hands-on attitude to bear in directing the course of your case. His result-oriented efforts put your legal problems front-and-center at every stage of your proceedings.

Chris is also committed to keeping you involved and never left “in the dark” about what is happening with your case. That is one of the reasons the firm employs a unique, safe, and secure client-accessible internet portal that allows you, the client, amazing electronic access to many of the critical contents your file, including encrypted scanned documents, attorney-client messaging, and calendaring. As a client with password-protected access, you can review your itemized invoices, making it easier for you to anticipate and budget for expenses and fees, instead of being blind-sided by a periodic bill. (You also have the power to pay your bill online by credit card or by using our new, pay-by-check feature, thus avoiding potentially costly credit card bank fees.)

Chris’ professional and community involvement rarely stops when he locks up the office at the end of the day, serving both the legal profession and his community in a variety of ways over the years, including serving on the Boards of Directors for, among others, the Legal Aid Society of Northeastern New York (1988-1989), the New York State Brain Injury Association (1996-1999), the New York State Trial Lawyers’ Association (1996-2000), the American Association for Justice’s Traumatic Brain Injury Litigation Group (where he was one of its founding members in 1992), as Treasurer (1996), Secretary (1997), Vice-President (1998), and President (1998-1999) of the Saratoga County Bar Association, and and the President of the Malta Sunrise Rotary (July 2014-2015).

Practice Areas
  • Family Law
  • Traffic Tickets
  • Personal Injury
  • Free Consultation
    Free initial 30-minute telephone consultation.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    VISA, Master Card, Discover, American Express
  • Contingent Fees
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    Hourly Fee is $300 per hour for Divorce/Matrimonial, Family Court, and General Litigation cases. Traffic Tickets are charged on a Flat-Fee basis, except for Trials which are subject to the above hourly fee. Retainer fees are required for all matters, payable at the time of engagement. All clients are provided username and password-protected access to our secure, encrypted MyCase system. This allows the client to login to view documents, invoices, send messages to your lawyer, and upload documents and photographs, thus giving each client immediate, secure access to the majority of his or her "file" 24/7.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
New York
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
2nd Circuit
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
  • Spanish: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
President, Malta Sunrise Rotary
Rotary International
Court-appointed Law Guardian (N/K/A Attorney for the Child)
Saratoga County Law Guardian Panel
Board of Directors
Brain Injury Association of New York State
President, vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer
Saratoga County Bar Association
Treasurer (1995), Secretary (1996), vi-President (1997), President (1998-1999)
Board of Directors: Traumatic Brain Injury Litigation Group (Founding Member)
American Association for Justice (formerly Association of Trial Lawyers of America)
Founding board member of this specialized group of trial attorneys dedicated to furthering the rights of persons with acquired brain injuries (traumatically induced or environmentally caused brain injuries).
Board of Directors
Legal Aid Society of Northeastern New York
University of Baltimore School of Law
J.D. (1985) | Law
University of Baltimore School of Law Logo
Washington College
B.A. (1974) | Political Science; International Affairs; Psychology; Spanish
Honors: Graduated with Honors
Placeholder image for education.
Washington College
B.A. (1974) | Political Science; Psychology
Honors: Graduated with Honors (3.95 average in Major)
Activities: Music; Chair of Washington College McGovern for America (1972)
Placeholder image for education.
Professional Associations
American Bar Association (ABA)
Member and Member of the ABA Family Law Section
- Current
Activities: General Member; Member of the ABA Family Law Section
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Saratoga County Bar Association
- Current
Activities: Former Treasurer, Secretary, vice-President, then President
Placeholder image for professional associations.
American Association for Justice (formerly Association of Trial Lawyers of America)
Founding Member Traumatic Brain Injury Litigation Group (TBILG)
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Speaking Engagements
"Handling the "Mild" Traumatic Brain Injury Case", Traumatic Brain Injury Litigation Group, Chicago, IL
American Association for Justice (formerly Association of Trial Lawyers of America)
Principal presenter at the ATLA (AAJ) TBILG annual conventions in San Francisco, Chicago, San Diego, New York, Boston, Montreal, and San Juan, Puerto Rico (1995 - 2001)
Websites & Blogs
Christopher N. Luhn, P.C. Website
luhnlaw Facebook Page
Legal Answers
36 Questions Answered

Q. How do I get a free lawyer for a family court date in wich my ex husband is in violation of paying medical expenses
A: This is a “good-news/bad-news” situation. The “bad news is that if you file a Violation Petition (Infer that you have a court order directing him to reimburse you), if he is unable to afford an attorney, he’ll get an appointed attorney at no charge to him. The good news is that if you hire an attorney, and the court finds that he has “willfully” violated a court order of support, the court “MUST” order him to pay YOUR attorney fees. If you cannot afford an attorney, I recommend that you contact Legal Aid or, perhaps your county bar association has a Private Attorney Involvement (PAI) panel and can help you find counsel that will take your case pro bono (at no charge). Finally, if you have not done so already, start making copies of everything you send to him (with the covering letter, email, etc.). Otherwise you might have a hard time proving that you sent him the receipts and invoices in a timely way. Good luck. Christopher N. Luhn, Esq.
Q. My husband filed for divorce on March 18, 2019 without my knowledge He serve me the papers April 16, 2019
A: A lot depends on facts. I’d be happy to spend some time on the phone with you to explore your options. (518) 884-0000.
Q. my 15 year old son was living with his dad, last week they got into a fight and he kicked him out. He is now living
A: Is there an existing Order (Family Court, or Supreme Court Judgment of Divorce) that gave dad primary custody? If so, you should bring a petition in Family Court to MODIFY an existing/previously issued Order (you'll need to attach a copy of the existing Order if you have it). If there is NO Order, you can bring a petition for Custody/Visitation. In either case, I'd bring it by Order to Show Cause and ask for a Temporary Order of primary custody and an Order directing dad to hand-over the clothes, etc. There are other factors (for instance: are you and dad in the same school district?) that will have to be addressed, including child support, but the initial concern is getting you custody. You need to consult an experienced Family Law attorney. Good luck.
Q. Is it legal to accelerate before the speed on a road changes so you're up to the higher speed by the time you pass the
A: You are responsible for and expected to travel at the speed that is posted and that applies to the roadway you are on.
Q. I want to file child support for 2 children. Will their Medicaid insurance be affected? Fathers insurance is not good.
A: The court will generally require a parent with available health insurance to carry the kids rather than burdening publicly supported benefits.
Q. I have court Friday for an order of protection and the receipt is asking for the date to change is that allowed
A: If you are asking whether the Respondent against whom you are seeking an order of protection (OP) can get an adjournment, the answer is "It depends". Has a court already issued an OP against the person seeking a postponement (adjournment)? The court will probably grant the request unless you object (but, why would you, if you already have an order?) If someone has gotten an OP against YOU, I'd expect the court to deny the request unless you consent. If it is you that wants the OP, I'd expect the court to deny a request for a delay from the respondent.
Q. I got 2 traffic tickets in Alpine,New Jersey and I have a New York State drivers license will I get points?
A: Well, yes, you have a problem. First, I'm not sure how points are assessed in NJ, but in NY, 47-mph over the limit is an 11-point violation (which gets you the jackpot: automatic suspension of your driving privileges (the traveling in the wrong lane will add points, also). Second: NY and NJ share ticket information so a NJ conviction or plea with points WILL show-up on your NY record. Finally, I'd strongly recommend you hire counsel in NJ -- you do not want to mess around with this. Bonus recommendations: Take a driver safety course; and, learn to drive responsibly (e.g., learn to obey the rules of the road -- if not for your own sake, then for the sake of others.
Q. In a counterclaim filed in response to an allegation, some errors were made which ought to refute the claim.
A: I assume that you are saying that your lawyer made an error in the counterclaim. If that's the case, he/she should immediately draft, file and serve an Amended Answer and Counterclaim. His/her cover letter should also state that the error eas his/hers, and not you changing your story.
Q. What form do I file to take my case before a new judge for child support?
A: I'm guessing there are a few things missing from your narrative. First, please note that to the extent any of your descriptions or facts are related to GA proceedings, I am not licensed or admitted in GA. Next: in NY, Support Magistrates generally preside over support proceedings in Family Court (or, sometimes, you may have support proceedings before a judicial hearing officer, or "JHO". When you say the court "assumed" your income I'm guessing that what you mean is that the court "imputed" income to you based on a number of factors (words have particular meanings that have to be understood and used in proper context, especially in court). Finally, the 17% you refer to relates to the percentage of income for one (1) child that is used to calculate support obligations under New York's CSSA (Child Support Standards Act, Section 240 of the Domestic Relations Law (DRL)). The 28.5% you refer to may be the percentage of the 17% for which you are obligated. It is just not clear from your descriptions. What IS clear is that you do not seem to have a good understanding of what is going on in your case. You really need to consult with a qualified and experienced Family Law attorney. (PS: Unless there are factors in other parts of New York than in the rest of the known NY universe, you generally cannot get the help of a public defender in a straight support proceeding UNLESS you're involved a violation proceeding and are facing possible jail for violating a previous or existing court order.) Call a lawyer. Best of luck.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
P.O. Box 8557
Malta, NY 12020-8557
Telephone: (518) 884-0000
Fax: (518) 288-2925
Because of Mr. Luhn's court schedule, face-to-face consultations are by appointment only.
Malta, NY, USA
Telephone: (518) 884-0000
Fax: (518) 288-2925