Free Consultation: (616) 965-6864Tap to Call This Lawyer
Brent T. Geers

Brent T. Geers

Geers Law
  • Appeals & Appellate, Criminal Law, Estate Planning...
  • Michigan
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Brent Geers specializes in helping people empower those they trust and provide for those they love. Brent has been an attorney since 2012, working with individuals and families to marshal their time, talent, and treasurer for the benefit of their children, family, and community. He is a Grand Rapids Business Journal’s “40 Under 40” honoree, and currently operates his own practice, Geers Law. Brent is married to an educator, who employs his services as a chaperon for various school functions. He is also his daughter’s father – a girl who will become a president, not a princess.

Practice Areas
  • Appeals & Appellate
  • Criminal Law
  • Estate Planning
  • Family Law
  • Probate
  • Bankruptcy
  • Elder Law
  • Free Consultation
    Free consultations are available by phone only. I apply all other consultation fees toward subsequent fees for legal services.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    All major credit cards.
  • Contingent Fees
    Blended contingency fee involves a reduced hourly fee and approximately 15% of the judgment amount.
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    A reduced rate schedule is available to veterans with demonstrated income below 400% of the federal poverty line. A discount is always available to K-12 teachers and support staff, law enforcement personnel, and veterans whose income exceeds 400% of the federal poverty line.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Counselor & Attorney
Geers Law
- Current
Western Michigan University Cooley Law School
J.D. (2012) | Legal Education
Honors: Deans List
Activities: Cooley Veterans Club
University of Michigan - Ann Arbor
B.A. (2001) | American Culture
Activities: Resident Advisor
Professional Associations
State Bar of Michigan # P75904
Grand Rapids Bar Association
- Current
Activities: Criminal Law Section
Speaking Engagements
Life Essentials Workshop, Grand Rapids, Michigan
Urban Core Collective
Accredited Attorney
Veterans Affairs
Websites & Blogs
Geers Law
Legal Answers
402 Questions Answered

Q. My girlfriend has an interlock device in my car and I failed it last night. Will she get in trouble for my fail?
A: She is responsible...possibly she has a very good explanation (that it was you and not her) that can be taken into account and hopefully avoid sanctions.
Q. Got a parking ticket in a no parking zone In AA. I thought parking tickets were not issued after 5pm. Help, can’t afford
A: Some metered parking may not be enforced after a certain hour, but parking rules in general are enforceable 24 hours a day but any authorized person. You will need to contact the court to see about a payment plan. DO NOT ignore the ticket. People have been unceremoniously arrested when they lest expect it, and years after the tickets, for not paying.
Q. My husband's biological kids are in foster care currently, placed with his mother. Can a judge force me out of our home?
A: These situations are always messy and complex. I assume that you are legally married. You do have rights as the spouse, including the right to remain living in the marital home. HOWEVER, your husband is at risk of having his parental rights terminated. Whether the basis for that action is your actions, his actions, or some combination, they are his rights to lose at this point. They can and will force your husband to make some difficult choices. At times, this takes the form of removing someone the court believes fosters an abusive or neglectful condition that by statute can lead to termination of parental rights. Like the entirety of the treatment plan, even when ordered, your husband ultimately may choose to comply or not. He can fight it all he wants, but non-compliance, in the world of termination of parental rights cases, will lead to him losing the kids.
Q. Just notified lease non-renewal, 5/13/19. Want me out by 5/31/19. Shouldn't I have had 30 days notice? No reason why.
A: You are likely correct that you should have received 30 days notice; and it sounds like the landlord is saying they did send it out with 30 days notice. If you do not move, the landlord may then initiate summary proceedings in district court. You will be notified of a court hearing, and the landlord must serve you notice of that hearing and show proof that they served you to the court. You can tell the judge at that time that you never received the Notice to Quit. That fact alone is not likely to stop the eviction, but the judge could give you some additional time. The point you must know, though, is that your time at this place is limited, and so now that you know they want you out, you should be focusing your efforts on finding your next place. You can also always ask the landlord if they would be okay with additional time.
Q. I have full custody of my 6 year old. I want to relocate 143 miles away. What legal steps are next?
A: Even though you have sole legal custody, the father has the right to object. This will cause the court to hold an evidentiary hearing. Because you have sole custody, the burden is on the father to show why the move shouldn't happen. If he also wants to fight for joint custody, the burden, again, will be on him to show by clear and convincing evidence that a change of circumstances occurred and that it's in the best interest of the child to have joint custody - a pretty tall order. Further, one factor the court may consider in determining whether a move should be allowed is the degree to which the objecting parent may be seeking to reduce any support obligation.
Q. I am facing a felony non payment child support, what possibilities do I have to stay out of jail?
A: Talk with your attorney (you should have been appointed one, and you can always hire one of your own choosing). Without knowing your history, and what your judge tends to view these matters, it's impossible to say what will happen. For sure jail is an option. But I've seen several times where people have stayed out of jail. Obviously, the more eager and willing you are to meet your child support obligation, the more likely you will receive the outcome you desire.
Q. My son is 9. child support not been raised in 8 years. I make 12.00 hourly he makes 28.00 hourly. He is with me 60% time
A: Child support is calculated not only on the amount of time each parent has the child (more specifically, the number of overnights), but also the disparity of income between the two parents. Child support does not "grow" with the child. Unless either of your incomes substantially change, or there has been a change in the number of overnights, you'll have a tough time overcoming the first factor a court uses to determine whether to review child support: that there has been a change in circumstance. Without that, child support remains in place.
Q. What would the judge most likely sentence if i plead guilty to domestic violence at my arraignment?
A: DO NOT plead guilty at your arraignment without speaking to an attorney who has told you that your situation is one of a very few where doing so makes sense. By pleading guilty at the arraignment, you will be doing so without the benefit of a plea offer. The judge could sentence you to up to 93 days in jail if this is a first offense.
Q. Are you at all familiar with "Ticket Fundraising" issue in Taylor, MI - any recourse for issuance of false tickets?
A: If you fight it - i.e. demand a formal hearing - the officer could come to court and say "you know what, you're right. I should have actually wrote the ticket for 20 over". Then what? Unless your husband can overcome the presumption of evidence, he might be stuck.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
Downtown Grand Rapids
15 Ionia Ave SW STE 530
Grand Rapids, MI 49503
Telephone: (616) 965-6864
Fax: (616) 536-8408
Suburban Grand Rapids
625 Kenmoor Ave SE STE 301
Grand Rapids, MI 49546-2395
Telephone: (616) 965-6864
Fax: (616) 536-8408